“This Is a Seriously Nice Hotel”
Review of Hotel Lord Byron

Hotel Lord Byron
Ranked #42 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 April 2014

One of the nicest things about this hotel in comparison to something like a named brand luxury hotel is that you can normally speak to the concierge or reception desk on your own and not with a great big queue around you. There are relatively few guests and if that means that you have to pay more to maintain the ambience and the quality of staff then so be it.
It felt welcoming straightaway. Unlike a lot of hotels that I have stayed in, the touches of luxury and extreme cleanliness go beyond the reception area. I think it fair to say that the entire hotel is maintained fastidiously. All of the friendly staff that we encountered were happy to converse in our limited Italian or in English.
We were shown to our room which was easily the best room or should I say suite that my wife and I have ever been given. Obviously luck comes into this and so I want to go on about the features of the room in case you don't get that one! I can tell you that it was spotlessly clean and thoughtfully presented with beautiful furniture that did not look worn out or damaged.
There were downsides. This hotel is not in the centre of Rome which affects the set fare of the taxis from the airport which is normally €48 to anywhere in the centre of Rome. However this was just a couple of euros extra for us but maybe worth pointing out in case you end up in an argument thinking that you would get the set fare. Also concerning taxis, you will need plenty of them as the hotel is a little way away from most facilities. This was part of the attraction as well but while we were staying there the restaurant in the hotel was actually closed which meant going out every night as well as every lunchtime. Yes it is a nice walk through the park to the city centre but you do not want to do it every time. We were not told beforehand that the restaurant was going to be closed and that was perhaps a little cheeky. Having now stayed there I can say that with the benefit of hindsight we would still have stayed there even with no restaurant. When reception order you a taxi it takes moments only, so its isolation is not really a problem other than for your finances possibly. The air conditioning never seemed to work so most nights I awoke feeling as though the room was very stuffy and had to go and open windows. I did not complain though since it was easily the nicest room I've ever stayed in and I didn't want to be moved!
The coffee that is served for breakfast was the quality far surpassing most hotels I have ever stayed at. However we would say get there early for the best choice of food because it did run out on the one morning we were there fairly late.
I have to say that we never regretted booking this hotel at all. It was by my standards expensive, but I didn't feel cheated, it was exclusive and beautifully decorated and all you can ask for a hotel.
Just be aware of the potential expense of taxis to and from civilisation!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VanGoghIII
Amedeo_Ottaviani, Proprietario at Hotel Lord Byron, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We have taken into serious consideration the reported points and are happy to confirm we have duly solved the minor issues you have raised.
Thank you and we truly hope to have you back soon to the Lord Byron and remain with kindest regards.
A. Ottaviani

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed in the hotel as a lone traveler from the US. I could not have asked for a more perfect fit. The hotel is very well-maintained and the art deco decor is beautiful. My room was in perfect condition (I'm very choosey, so this is saying a lot for me). My one complaint is that the bed was too firm, though in all fairness, this is the case throughout all of Italy. The beds are typically not cushioned. Also, I always prefer boutique hotels and this one was exactly what I was looking for.

The location might not be for everyone, but it was perfect for me. It's next to the beautiful Borghese park and the modern art museum. For me, it was nice to stay somewhat outside of the hustle and bustle and not feel like I was too far-removed from the sites I went to Rome to see in the first place. Not everything was walking distance, but I'm not sure I'd want them to be.

The service that I received from the staff was absolutely impeccable. They were very friendly, warm, and went out of their way to help me with everything from restaurant recommendations, to directions and train schedules.

I'm very happy with my choice to stay at Lord Byron.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is what you expect from an Hotel of this level. Comfortable, quiet, top level staff: discreet and helpful (you barely need to speak and they get on with what you require). Nothing is a problem, they dealt with my car parking and moving it when necessary without any need of arranging it. I asked for the boarding pass and it was printed in seconds. The location is excellent since is quiet and away from the mad center, but everything can easily be
reached walking, with public transport, and of course a short taxi ride. We walked back from a restaurants in zona Piazza del Popolo twice after dinner: it takes only 20 mins, and it is extremely healty. And of course if you, like me, adore Art Deco' it is the final touch. It is not cheap of course,
but perfection comes at a cost.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We stayed here for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is small, but beautifully decorated with antiques & Art Deco pieces. The staff were friendly, helpful and made our stay extra special. For a hotel of this quality it's very reasonably priced and the food is excellent.

The hotel is behind Vila Borgese, it is set back from the centre of Rome by the park.

It is around a 15 min walk through the park from the Spanish steps, meaning it's possible to walk to most of the sites though I found it a bus or taxi occasionally were needed. Alternatively the tram 19 or tram 3 stop near by at the modern art gallery. Most taxi drivers seemed to know the hotel without much explanation.

Around the hotel, there are a few bars/restaurants, though the area is a little sleepy compared to other parts of Rome.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We feel we have been the right hotel on your first wedding anniversary. We work on romance as one of our top values. For your future plans, please know the Hotel Lord Byron has added new bicycles for guest use to explore the area and easily move within the city center.
Thank you and kind regards.
A. Ottaviani

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Such a great hotel, the staff are so helpful and friendly. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. The shared areas of the hotel are beautifully furnished and immaculately clean.The location in a leafy suburb is so quiet yet only 10 minutes by taxi to the centre of town. You wont regret staying here.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

It’s a pleasure to stay at the Lord Byron, a hotel that exudes an atmosphere of peace and calm. Public rooms are exquisitely furnished, bedrooms are comfortable.
The Lord Byron enjoys a quiet location in a residential area only a short stroll from the outstanding National Gallery of Modern Art (19th & 20th Century), the Etruscan Museum and the delightful Borghese Gardens. The Borghese Gallery, Spanish Steps, Via Veneto and good restaurants are also within walking distance, although you are likely to take a taxi back up the hill to the hotel.
The hotel is, however, not suitable for those with mobility difficulties. There are thirteen steps up to the entrance and steps inside to the restaurant and bar. Otherwise this hotel makes a good base for a pleasant stay in Rome.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TimeWalker
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The people who work at this hotel are fantastic. They happily made an array of recommendations and reservations for us, as well as corrected several different minor problems that we had in the room. That's a quality that many hotels cannot boast, the ability to address issues head-on and rectify any complaints. My parents' complaint was in regards to their bathroom. With no hesitation, the manager moved them to a different room, found them a plastic bathmat, and made sure the new bathroom was perfect. Such a quick, concerned response is the hallmark of a great hotel.

Additionally, the property is in excellent condition -- no nicks or scratches on the walls or furniture; it's like a little Art Deco museum. You feel like you're in a little refuge, all your own. If you want to sleep, then this is the place for you because the storm shades lock into position to blot out all light, and there is zero noise because you're so far removed from the hustle and bustle of Rome. -- and that's something that might bother some travelers, but we were ready to unwind. That's where Lord Byron shines; it's a shining, quiet place to return after a long day of touring and walking.

My only complaint with the hotel is its weak breakfast, but Mediterranean countries don't really pride themselves on their breakfasts. In Spain, it's much the same -- drink a coffee, eat a piece of toast or pastry, and wait for the real food at midday. I just need to keep that in mind and avoid falling into hotel breakfast traps, even if they're included in the room rate!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple