“My Home in Rome”

Ranked #66 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Atlanta
“My Home in Rome”
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I have stayed in a number of hotels throughout the European continent, and several in Italy. Many are charming and most attempt to be unique and present clients with a sense of quality service and attention. Very few actually are memorable or unique, and even fewer rise to the level of truly outstanding entities. The Lord Byron Hotel, however, is in a class by itself.
My first stay at the Lord Byron several years ago was as a result of a recommendation by a friend, and it was completely convincing and totally persuasive. The staff at this wonderful hotel received me as if I had stayed there many times before, saw to my every need, went beyond what was expected of them in providing excellent service, accepted me as one of their "international family," and made me feel as if I were staying with friends rather than with strangers in another country. That first visit was the beginning of a beautiful relationship I have been fortunate to enjoy for a number of years.
Every opportunity I have to return to Rome, there is one decision that never needs to be considered, and that decision is where I will stay. I cannot envision spending time in Rome and not staying at the Lord Byron. I have become friends with many of the staff, and each time I visit with them they seem to make certain my days with them are even more memorable than before.
The personal attention given to every detail of my visits is most impressive. It is as if each of the hotel employees takes great pride and pleasure in providing first-class, unsurpassed service to those of us fortunate to stay with them. And when I arrive at the Rome airport each time I visit, I find myself anxious to get to "my hotel" and see the fine staff members who have become close friends of mine over the years. Without fail, when I reach the Lord Byron, I find the friendly, courteous, professional, and well-informed staff members waiting for me to arrive at my "Home in Rome."
I would recommend this delightful hotel (in fact I have recommended it many times to friends and associates who have traveled to Rome) to anyone looking for the essence of quality in hotel stay. It is, without doubt, one of the very finest lodging establishments in all of Italy.

David Gregory
Atlanta, GA
USA

• Liked — The outstanding quality of personal service from all staff members
  • Disliked — I have no concerns with this establishment
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Sweden
Reviewed 1 December 2008

A very peaceful hotel in a lovely area.

Amazing service from the staff at this property: They are very kind, quick to smile or stop to chat a little and very discreet and polite.

I have not seen better service in quite some time.

Go!

• Liked — The beds!
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2008

I have stayed in this hotel twice (for business) and both times were just perfect.
The location is central, but quiet - just on the other side of Villa Borghese in the posh Parioli neighborhood. If you like to run in the morning, the park is perfect for that.
Each time, the room was spacious, well appointed and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was huge.
The bed is very comfortable and they have total blockout blinds for a very sound night's sleep (or afternoon nap!).
The staff has always been very curteous, professional and very helpful, even when I've arrived quite late in the evening.
Breakfast was good as was the internet connection. I even had some connection issues that were quickly resolved with a toll free phone call to the ISP. Overall, a great hotel to which I will keep returning.

• Liked — Location and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 18 October 2008

We spent a lot of time online looking for the "right" hotel for our first trip to Rome. We looked at all the usual suspects but each time kept returning to the Lord Byron's website. We love small, unique and special hotels and this one fit the bill dead on! We arrived late in the evening but had no trouble settling in immediately. We had a suite on the top (6th) floor with a separate sitting room, bedroom and wonderful bathroom (Note: The elevator only goes to the 5th floor and a flight of steps is required to reach the top/6th floor). The Art Deco is really well done and fully integrated in every aspect of the hotel's design as well as its furnishings and decorations. Even though it was October, it was still pretty warm and we appreciated the AC units in the bedroom and sitting room. In the cool mornings we opened up the big windows to let in the cool air and take in the beautiful views from all sides. The bed was very comfortable, even for someone well over 6'. The bathroom was all white marble and we appreciated having 2 sinks, a separate bathtub (in the same room with the sinks) and shower (in a separate room with the toilet/bidet). The water pressure in the shower was a bit weak but the water was warm and the view from the shower over the rooftops outside made up for that!

The public rooms/areas are all impecably kept and the staff is professional, courteous and helpful. The complementary breakfast was a welcome addition and, contrary to some of the reviews, we found it more than adquate to start the day!

The neighborhood where the hotel is located is beautiful and being so near the beautiful Borgese gardens, made for some wonderful walks. If you're a dog lover, there's a dog park at the end of the gardens which was always great fun in the evenings. Logistically, as some of the reviews note, the hotel is a bit of a hike from the core tourist areas; however, in our view, that's a benefit since being able to retreat to the quiet, calm beauty of the hotel in the evenings was a welcome event. We walked a few times into the core area and enjoyed the scenery along the way; however, we also did end up using taxi's to take us to the core and back a few times as well. That said, the distance, by cab, is very short and the fare was never over 10 euros (usually less). Bottom line: If you want to be in the thick of things then you'll probably want to stay closer to the core. If you do, however, you'll miss this gem and the beauty that surrounds it.

SPECIAL NOTICE goes to the incredible master barman in the hotel lounge! He really has style and makes the best negroni's I've ever had!

We can't wait to return!

P.S. To the hotel: Know all your guests and don't assume a room for 2 will always be occupied by a "Mr. and Mrs."

• Liked — We felt welcome, at home, even though we were very far from that!
  • Disliked — That it was so hard to leave!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WesternSkies
Cape Town
Reviewed 17 October 2008

This was the highlight of our trip to Italy from the first e-mail received from the Reservations Manager, Melita, who poetically made us want to stay at The Lord Byron in the beautiful city of Rome

A special thank you to Resident Manager, Marco, who so kindly helped me with our flights and e-mails and went out of his way to ensure our trip home was perfect.

The concierge, Andrea and Valerio , made us feel so welcome and organised our taxi's speedily and professionally. Taxi fare was cheap in comparison with Florence and the drivers are a source of information. Everything was easily reachable and we enjoyed staying a little out of the centre of Rome.

The Lord Byron is the cleanest hotel and their housekeepers deserve an accolade as it makes all the difference. Everything sparkles and gleams and smells fresh and pretty. It was surprising how dirty some of the 5-Star hotels in Europe are!

The Art Deco bedroom was a delight - large and airy with sumptious linen and a superb mattress. The marble bathrooms are large hollywood affairs with an array of toiletries.

The dining room is picture perfect and the food was delicious.

Everyone at this exclusive boutique hotel made us feel so welcome and the experience was unforgettable! The team are very special people and we feel blessed to have met them.

• Liked — The friendly team and the exclusivity of the hotel
  • Disliked — Having to say goodbye
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 6 October 2008

My daughter and I wanted to spend four days in Rome at the end of a cruise. Our travel agent selected the Lord Byron Hotel . . . and it was superb. It is located in a gorgeous residential district near Villa Borghese. From the moment we stepped out of our car to the day we left , the service was wonderful. The hotel is small (30 rooms, I believe) and you are not just a face. Everyone, from the porter to the concierge, to the waiters remembered our names and went out of their way to make this first trip to Rome memorable. The decor is Art Deco, at its best. Our room was to die for. Spacious, clean, beautifully decorated , all marble bathroom, and my favorite - a lovely, quiet , private stone patio with beautiful surrounding landscape. The restaurant was so nice that we ate most of our dinners there. There is a quiet formality in this lovely hotel that feeds your soul.

• Liked — Its old world charm
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
London, UK
Reviewed 23 August 2008

In Rome I had checked into another property which, after one sleepless night (the room had paper thin walls) and a multitude of other things wrong with the hotel, had been enough! I am a member of the Leaders Club so hastily reserved Hotel Lord Byron.

Looking at some of the other reviews I think that I shall deal with the location first. It certainly isn't right in the middle of the action, but then again it isn't that far out at all either. It is right by the Borghese park which has many touristic as well as naturalistic attractions of its own. The quickest way into the city isn't through the park but along one of the roads leading up to the hotel - it is an easy fifteen minute walk downhill to the Plaza Popolo (location of arguably Rome's best property, Hotel De Russie) and then another five - seven minutes to the Spanish Steps. Of course the walk uphill might take you longer, but if you are reasonable capable and not in any tearing hurry this should not present any obstacle in your staying here. If you really are unable to walk then a taxi to/from the Spanish Steps will only cost around 6-7EUR. A plus side of this location is being able to eat in restaurants local to the hotel which are not touristy (nor Michelin starred), being filled with largely local diners.

I stayed in a junior suite (photographs of which have been posted by another reviewer) which had almost faultless decor. Lots of high gloss, high quality veneered furniture in an art deco style, red velvetty carpets, and a couple of paintings to tie in with the theme and add some fifties interest (i.e. to remove the 30s themepark feel and to make the whole scheme more eclectic). This was complemented by two terraces, one being rather large with a few pots containing mature orange trees; a most delightful place to relax in the evening. Bathroom was half timbered, think deck from a yacht and the remainder was finished in large marble tiles. If one wanted to be very picky, then the bathroom should've had twin vanities and perhaps a separate shower, which would've been possible had it been arranged in a completely different manner. The deco theme extended to the rest of the hotel, once again objects/paintings from a different era added to the eclectic feel. Overall the property almost gave the impression, particularly in the hallways with the large framed, lacquered veneered doors, of being on a yacht from the 30s.

Unfortunately the restaurant, which seems to have a good reputation, was closed during my stay so I could only take breakfast at the property. The usual selection of four or so fruit juices; orange juice was not "freshly squeezed" despite the label aside the jug declaring that it was (this seems to have been the case at this time of year at all the other Italian hotels I stayed at on my trip - so is not a problem unique to this property). Some scrambled egg, bacon, cereals, fresh fruit, tinned fruit, pastries, cheeses, etc. The selection was by no means expansive, but I would describe it as adequate. Compared to another property on my trip (in Naples) the breakfast was vastly inferior. I would recommend that they provide far higher quality pastries instead of some warm croissants and danish pastries, try to use more local Italian cheeses instead of Dutch stuff, and provide a greater variety of fresh fruits.

Service throughout my four night stay was excellent. Door and reception staff were extremely patient, professional and helpful. Every wish truly was their command. The maids serviced the rooms extremely well, even laying out and folding night clothes (which had been left on a chair) with the turndown service.

Again I would agree with other reviewers that it is a shame that there is no relax/fitness centre - even a room with a few loungers, soft lights, scented candles, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room would be better than nothing. Obviously there are space constraints and it would doubtless mean losing a few bedrooms!

If you are after a good value boutiquey property which still offers five star service and amenities and you don't mind being a quarter of an hour's walk from the centre then this is a super little hotel.

• Liked — Slick service and style
  • Disliked — Lack of fitness/relax amenities
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple