“taking the reservation isn't the problem, keeping the reservation is”

Suite Condotti 29 A.C. Hotels S.r.l.
Ranked #633 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Chicago, IL
“taking the reservation isn't the problem, keeping the reservation is”
Reviewed 6 March 2006

When we TRIED to stay here, we were told our room was given away, because someone else arrived before our 2:00 arrival. We had all the paper work with us, including confirmation. They couldn't have cared less. This was crazy as our friends had arrived the night before and told the manager that they were excited to see us and they reconfirmed the room. We were exhausted after a 12 hour flight from Shanghai, so we were a bit shell shocked and just did what the manager told us. We got in a taxi (40 euro) and went to a dump that they recc, thank goodness we asked to see the room before we committed, it was awful, bare wiring hanging from the ceiling etc. So, we got back in the taxi (40 euro) and stayed in the lobby of the Via Condoti 29 until we called Expedia (thank goodness, this was the only place on that trip that we did book through them) and they got us a room at the "sister property" across the street, which turned out to be better than Condoti 29. What we found out later is that the manager was trying to keep our original rate and send us to a dump and pocket the difference, instead of sending us to the more expensive(nicer) sister property directly across the street.

So, while Expedia did refund our money, we were out the 80 euro taxi and the international cell phone calls. Which all added up and we could have stayed in a really nice place for all the extra money we spent.

This was the worse service we had in all of Italy and all the other places we stayed turned out great. On our return to Rome on our flight out, we skipped the city altogether and stayed about 30 minutes from the airport at El Due Largo, which was fantastic!

• Stayed October 2004
2 Thank mkupLver

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 February 2006

We have stayed here on three separate occasions and each time it has been a delight. A small boutique hotel, with just 6 rooms in all! No breakfast room as such but who needs it when you can have a breakfast tray loaded with goodies brought to your room and eat your breakfast in the comfort of your PJs!! A bowl of fresh fruit and flowers await you. The staff have always been very helpful and friendly and the complimentary Prosecco is welcome at the end of a day's sight seeing. We have arrived early and very late in the day and the welcome has always been warm.

Located along the famous Via Condotti, one of the most famous avenues of Rome that is 'Label Heaven" You will find clothes, shoes and jewelry boutiques from the most famous Italian and other designers, such as Armani, Gucci, Bulgari, Cartier, Ferragamo, Max Mara, , on Via Condotti, not to mention more Botox and plastic surgery than I have ever seen :-)

Location, Location, Location! You can walk to all of the main Rome sights from here the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Castel Sant Angelo and the Colosseum,or take the frequent trams or underground which runs close by. Glorious restaurants and cafes in the surrounding streets - you are in true Rome.

The rooms are very comfortable and spacious, elegantly furnished - bathrooms very clean with showers (no baths) and lots of fluffy towels and good toiletries.

If you want a huge hotel with all the attendant staff to carry your bags, etc then this is clearly not for you. If however you want small, elegant, superb location and friendly hotel then this IS the hotel for you in Rome.

• Stayed January 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 December 2005

My wife and I stayed at Via Condoti 29 for 7 days for our honeymoon in 2004, and it was absolutely wonderful! We loved how it was an out-of-the-way place to stay in a quaint atmosphere, off the beaten path while still in the middle of everything. We couldn't have picked a better place. It was centrally located, so really easy to get to all the sites, and had a very relaxing jacuzzi tub which was great for 2 after a long day of walking. The breakfast-in-bed service was great too, and made for a relaxing morning before a long day of site seeing. The staff was super friendly, and would offer us a glass of wine on our return from a day of site seeing. We plan on returning to Italy in 06, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2005

As a professional hotel critic, I've stayed in hundreds of hotels ranging from exemplary to awful. My experience at the Condotti, however, was literally *the* worst.

A while back I had an overnighter in Rome, and since I needed a reasonably priced, but still five-star, hotel in the central area of the city -- keeping in mind that many places were already fully booked -- I made a reservation at the Condotti. Upon arrival at the hotel, I buzzed the front door, surprised that the facility had no lobby. I was met at the door by a woman who called herself the manager, who informed me that the hotel had to be closed due to an emergency. She said that they had lost their water supply due to construction going on outside the hotel (some road repair people accidentally cracked the water main, she said) and that they had booked me a room at another hotel outside of the city. It indeed looked like there was construction going on outside the hotel, so I bought the story; however, I decided not to stay at the place where she had rebooked me. I couldn't find it in any of my guide books, plus it was located a considerable distance from the city center, so I ended up getting a last-minute room at the Hassler, at considerable additional expense, instead.

Upon returning to the States, I discovered on my AmEx statement that I had been charged in full for the Condotti room, which is where the problems started. I immediately disputed the charge, and a few months later I heard back from AmEx. Not only did the Condotti manager deny in a letter to AmEx (they sent me a copy of it) that she had told me the hotel was closed due to a water main interruption, she claimed that I had entered the hotel, declared it "unfit," and stormed off!! Naturally, since I was a "no show" under this "policy," they were "forced" to retain a one-night deposit of $255.

Thankfully, being a professional travel writer, I had considerable leverage with my booking agency, and they refunded my credit card in full. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the Condotti pulled from the GDS (global hotel reservation system) - in other to keep other people from being scammed -- but believe me, I tried. In sum, this was the *worst* hotel experience I've had in my entire life, and I advise you to avoid this place like the plague!!

• Stayed October 2002, travelled on business
23 Thank Jeff K
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 April 2005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in May 2003. As many of the reviews state, the location is terrific - -truly just a stones throw from the Spanish Steps - -but there is no real service provided. The hotel (think "Inn" by U.S. standards) is located on the upper floor of a commercial building with retail shops at street level. We had to drag our bags up the steps and into the tiny lift to the hotel. There, we were "greeted" by a rude young woman who seemed bothered by our arrival. That said, our room was small (although not all that small by European standards) but lovely. It was one of the rooms on the street. Some might be bothered by the noise, but we enjoyed opening the windows and watching the crowds below. The bathroom was bright, clean and modern. However, throughout our stay, all of the workers seemed put out by the tiniest request for the services that are advertised as included in the $220 per night charge -- breakfast, wine, etc.. They also overcharged us for phone calls like the other folks who have posted to this site. For the right price, I would stay here again because of the room and the location - -but I would have very low expectations about the level of service.

• Stayed May 2005
12 Thank kft421
London
Reviewed 4 January 2005

Stayed here for 5 days in August 2004. the hotel is superbly located on Via Condotti, Rome's most exclusive shopping street and a stone's throw from the Spanish Steps (and Spanish Steps Metro Station). Obviously in a tourist area, most rooms are at the rear of the building and therefore quiet, apart from the hum of the air conditioning units which are mounted outside the window! Rooms are fairly small but well equipped (TV, Safe, Mini Bar, air con etc.) - shower room only with hydro massage shower. As the place is very small, breakfast is served in the room - basic but extras available at a cost. Staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel is different (there are only 6 rooms) - no communal area and small rooms for normal hotel standards. Paid 99euros in August - not worth the 255 euros standard rate.

6 Thank TAdvMemberRR
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 October 2004

This hotel fools you with it's "prime location"... Which was actually a tourist pen, with thousands of tourists roaming the street. If you are arriving by car, it is nearly impossible to get a car down the street during peak hours. Once arriving, you buzz into a business building type of "suite", and you have to drag all your luggage by yourself up a steep flight of stairs just to get to the tiny lift. You then send your luggage up on the lift and climb 6 flights of stairs only to find another steep flight of stairs up to the door of the hotel.

You are greeted by very rude and unhelpful staff who seems completely confused over your reservation - as if it is her first day on the job and she has no idea what she is doing. We thought it might just be the first girl, however we met 2 other girls during out 3 day stay and they were the same way. A party of 3 elder women checked in while were coming back from dinner and my husband and I helped them bring their bags up the stairs- taking 3 trips up and down- and the girl working the hotel didn't help at all!!!

As we were leaving the hotel for a long day of sites to see, we were told we had to pack up all our items and move to a different room due to "plumbing problems" in our room. So- It took us about an hour to re-pack all of our items to move into a smaller room with more street noise. We were confused, because we used the bathroom the day before and the plumbing was fine. After investigating the situation, we speculate we were bumped down so our room would open up to a newly arriving couple that appeared to be wealthier and more prestigious us.

For $300 a night, this hotel is horrible!!! I literally felt like I was scammed!! You couldn't even enter the building without buzzing into 2 locked gates. The only positive aspect this hotel offered was being close to a Metro stop and being in a tourist trap area with high end shopping (Gucci type stores) and many restaurants that have English menus (but over-charge tourists for bad food).

11 Thank motomaddy