“If you like your room 80 degrees you'll love this hotel.”
Review of Hotel Borromini

and 1 more site!
Hotel Borromini
Ranked #958 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 30 December 2009

First things first, the photos of this hotel are nowhere close to reality. The front desk reminded me of a dark cold war hotel with two black and white flickering security camera televisions on the floor and a bank of boxes on the wall there room keys used to be stored. The back office was visible from the front reception area and I wish I could erase those memories from my head. When you get to the 4th or 5th floors, look up in the hallways and you will see that many of the ceiling tiles are nowhere to be found leaving holes to look up into the wiring and plumbing of the hotel. Oh, and the blue shag carpet with blue acrylic poles on the stairwells is classy - wish I had a photo.

When we checked in we were given a room with two twin beds and not the room with a king bed as requested weeks in advance of arriving. Come to think of it, all of my email communications pre-trip went unanswered. The staff was very accommodating in changing our room to a room with a king bed. One thing that did catch my eye was the fact that each electronic room key cards have a sticker on it with your room number and are reused for the same room guest after guest. So much for the point that the card system was designed so if you should lose the card no one will know which room you are in. So if you ever get room 404 – I washed my hands before using the card… can’t say that about anyone else using that card.

We got into the room and were initially hit by a heat wave. One of those heat waves that takes the moisture right out of your eyes. The type where you can feel your face shrinking. I immediately found the thermostat, selected AC, and turned it to 5 C (was preset to 22 C). Nothing happened. No noise of a fan kicking on. It was at this stage that my fiancée called me into the bathroom to inspect a pubic hair stuck on the backside of the door. Awesome. I opened the window and we decided to go into town to get some dinner as it had been a long day traveling from the US.

Location – this place is far away from anything you might want to see if you are a tourist. I highly recommend staying somewhere else if location means anything to you. There are two tram (19 and 3) lines that can take you to a Metro stop (Policlinico – Blue line) and one bus (53) that can take you to either a Metro stop (Barberini – Red line) or close to the Spanish Steps. Note that bus line #53 does not run on public holidays or on Sundays – found that out the hard way. We took the bus to the Spanish Steps the first night and it took at least 30 minutes to get there. There is a great story about a bus driver shattering the glass partition with his elbow while arguing with a customer, but that is not related to the hotel.

So we get back to the hotel (it is December and cold outside) and get to our room with the window open… and it is still pretty warm. I figure it only feels warm because we came in from the cold. Wrong. We spent the night with basically no sheets covering us with the window open sweating on the rock hard bed. I cannot underplay how much I was sweating all night long.

I went to the front desk the next morning and made comments regarding how hot the room was and the front desk said they would send someone up to look into the problem. When we returned that evening the room was still blazing hot so I went back down to the front desk where I was told to turn off the heat…. Ok. I withheld comments and calmly expressed that the heat was off and set to 5C but the room felt closer to 30C (Which is 86F and a bit of an exaggeration, but I was trying to make a point). The front desk guy said, “That is impossible”. I still laugh at that exchange.

So the guy came up to the room and looked at the thermostat and concluded it was off. And then he was off, leaving pretty quickly before I asked him how to raise the shutters to get more air in the room. He looked at me like I was an idiot and pressed a small button no larger than a square inch just to the right of the electrical outlet and the shutter started to open. Out went the helper. Nothing like having your window wide open all night long just to try and get the room bearable – “hello person across the alley, how are you tonight?” Even with the window open and it being close to 5C outside, the sheet was more than enough… almost too much some nights as it was very hot in the room. When I asked the front desk if I could turn the AC on to cool them room I was told no, the AC does not work.

Down at the bar one night I overheard another table talking about how hot his room was. I hope he found the switch to open the shutters.

One more thing - there are a lot of tour groups that pass through here. The reception area can get very busy and the line for one of the two elevators can get very very long.

Some positives – the bar was not overpriced compared to the rest of Rome. A bottle of decent red wine was only 20 Euros. The front desk did recommend a nice pizzeria for dinner and they also helped arrange a driver to take us to the airport. The driver turned out to be very nice and took us on a tour of the Roman highlights on the way to the airport (it was a fixed rate ride, so no extra distance fees).

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 October 2009

It was a 4 star hotel so had the frills but its too far from everything. No bus from the center fo rome goes there directly so have to change two buses far from the Hop on Hop off route as well. And its in the middle of no where so no good places to eat. Plus in 120 dollars a night they didnt even include the breakfast which was 12 euros per person. Though was clean and had frills. I would not stay here again for the reason that its too inconveniently located and we wasted an hour every day just trying to get back to it.
Also when we tried to check in at 9 30 AM two hours before the time. We were told flat out that the room is not ready and the person at the desk didnt even bother checking. I would have appreciated the courtesy of him atleast pretending that he checked.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aimen
Reviewed 28 July 2009

The Hotel Borromini is located in what is described as upper middle class section of Rome, just off the Piazza Hungaria. It caters to tourist groups. Provides a good continetal breakfast but otherwise plan to eat out. I booked it as a 4 star hotel and was very satisfied with the room and housekeeping. Located just half block from a bus stop you can be in the heart of tourist attraction Rome in 10--20 minutes. It is also just 3 blocks from a major tram line. A single person traveling alone may want a bit more excitement and company of other travelers. Most guests were part of tour groups. There are at least two wonderful resturants within walking distance, Tavern Rossini and second escapes me, but it atually better than Rossini. Both were recommended by desk clerks all of whom were multilingual.

If you want quiet comfortable in a residential neighborhood I recommend Borrromi. Public trans or taxi's required to reach tourist Rome.

Billy C. Beal

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank BillyMeridianMS
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Stayed here in January 2009 for a long weekend. I booked this property only because it offered the best price I gould get from a first category hotel. Location is not that good (residential area), unless you're going to rent a scooter (and be killed by a crazy-driving-local) or a car (and be fined every 100 metres) you must hire a cab to get into the centre. Staff was nothing special, breakfast was poor (even for a 3 star hotel), rooms were average in size but probabily needing a refusbishment (ie they look old). Bathrooms were well mantained with plenty of fluffy bathrobes. Nothing to say about daily cleanliness, very accurate.
I'd suggest this property only if you can get a good price and or you're staying in Rome for a business trip (and being distant from the city center is not that important to you).
PS: Ask for room on the last floor (the fifth I think) with balcony.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We just returned from our trip to Italy and stayed the last 2 nights at Hotel Borromini in Rome. While the hotel was okay, the staff is something else. Now I wish I had read the reviews before staying there. While we went for a farewell dinner with our tour group, somebody from the hotel went through our room and stole our laptop and other valuables. We realized the next morning while leaving for the airport. The hotel staff was very unhelpful and shady. It should have been easy enough to check the electronic record to see who accessed our room while we were gone. Told us that they couldn't do anything and did not even call the police. We had to file a police report at the airport. They lock your safe box in your room so you have to call them to get it unlocked to use it. Once you do that they know you have valuables. Also, don't ask if they have wifi in the room. Then they know you have laptop. We loved Italy, but this sure put a damper on our trip....

• Stayed: May 2009
3  Thank LisaMUsa
Reviewed 5 November 2008

I was quite confused by the diverse reviews of the boscolo borromini hotel prior our journey. I learned that the truth lies somewhere inbetween. Some of the staff were very helpful, some not. Two of the rooms were nice, the third reminded more of a cellar.
The breakfast was nothing special, not terrible but not great. Coffee terrible.
The hotel lies in a calm and quiet neighbourhood, but is very off from the city center. Too far to walk, and not so easy to go by bus either.
The hotels' own pictures shows furniture that does not even exist in the hotel. The restaurant and bar is not at all as in the pictures. And the patio was not open and did not look anything like the photos.

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank sososo_8
Reviewed 15 October 2008

We traveled with a group for two weeks in Italy. The Borromini in Rome was our last stop. Tthe rooms were "tacky"...the bedspreads were the kind you want to take off right away..and the rooms dark. But we were not in Italy for the rooms, so this didn't bother us.

The attitude of the staff however, really was upsetting. They were totally indifferent...they don't greet you...they waited until YOU look for them...or say in a loud voice..."hello?"....they had zero interest in pleasing the customer...while we were there a scam was perpetrated on us...

We arranged a transfer company to take us to the airport at 7:00 a.m. We waited in the lobby directly next to the front desk. When they arrived two men showed up in sport coats and very loudly announced that our taxi was there...a third man dressed in black, came in following the first two, he grabbed our two carry ons and went out the door (we thought he was putting them into the cab)

The other two men grabbed the bigger suitcases and we followed them out...I was shocked when I looked into the cab and our carry ons were not there nor was the man dressed in black (my heart medicine, our brand-new digital camera, video camera, cell phone...my jewelry etc everything you keep close when you travel were all in those bags). I was panicked and ran back into the hotel to tell the staff. The staff were nonchalant looking...they said nothing even though they personally witnessed the whole thing. I felt totally alone and had no help .....I feel that while I am a guest in a hotel...it is their responsibility to look out for us....especially when we are being victimized on their premises...and right in front of them....but don't ask them anything....they could care less ...you are just one more tour person (we were with Trafalgar)...they have them coming and going all the time. It really upset us and I think people should be aware of how they run their hotel.

The transfer guys could care less....they just got in the cab...didn't speak to us (only talked in Italian)..and when we got to the airport...he bumped the price that we were quoted from 40 to 50 euroes....and in a very intimidating way demanded the 50 euroes...and then had to gall to say (in perfect English)..have a nice day.

This was our dream vacation. We planned and saved for this trip. Unfortunately, this hotel and incident on the last day put a cloud over the enitre vacation.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple