“Dusty Dusty Dusty”

Ranked #951 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Markham, Canada
“Dusty Dusty Dusty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

I got Boscolo Borromini Hotel via priceline bid. For the price I paid, I could've booked into a B&B. Boscolo Borromini Hotel CANNOT be considered a 4-star hotel. There is nothing 4-star about it.

We arrived early (noonish). It wasn't a busy time of day for them. There were 2 people around the front desk area but I waited over 20 minutes to be checked-in. They were busy talking on the phone. The service was just so-so.

When we entered the room, it was dark. We opened the curtains and there were dusts flying everywhere. Other than that, the room was fine. The size is average for a European hotel.

It's definitely a party hotel; there were tons of people in the Lobby / bar in the evening. So if you want to party, it's a great place to be; if you are not, the noise might not be welcomed.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lshopsonline

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Londom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

Hotel was basic - no tea or coffee making services in room. Breafast staff were excellent chatted with us and were helpful. Reception staff were not forthcoming in offering information as to how to get around. Hotel quite a far way away from tourist area and therefore we returned to hotel around 7 in the evenings and did not go out again. There is n o entertainment at hotel, no restaurant facilities. Would class this hotel as 2*/3*.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank bogartLondon

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

What a great older hotel in a very upscale area of Rome. A bit off the beaten path if you want to go into the City Center however taxi ride is only 10-15 Euros each way, not a problem if you split it with four people. The rooms have all been redone and are absolutely beautiful. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2010
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

I spent 3 nights in the boscolo borromini with my husband and another couple. The cleanliness was top class, we found the staff to be most helpful, esp the front desk, the lovely manager in breakfast room and lady in bar. The breakfast was very good cereals, juices, fruit, yogurt, meats cheese, bread rolls croissants. Our room was a delight to come back to after a long day walking in rome. Nice large room, comfy bed with lovely bathroom. Tram and bus stops 2 mins walk away to anywhere in city. Lovely park nearby which was a most enjoyable mornings walk which led on to area near spanish steps. I was worried that it was far out from centre after reading reviews but found it easy with tram and bus system. I would recommend this hotel after my pleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

First things first, the photos of this hotel are nowhere close to reality. The front desk reminded me of a dark cold war hotel with two black and white flickering security camera televisions on the floor and a bank of boxes on the wall there room keys used to be stored. The back office was visible from the front reception area and I wish I could erase those memories from my head. When you get to the 4th or 5th floors, look up in the hallways and you will see that many of the ceiling tiles are nowhere to be found leaving holes to look up into the wiring and plumbing of the hotel. Oh, and the blue shag carpet with blue acrylic poles on the stairwells is classy - wish I had a photo.

When we checked in we were given a room with two twin beds and not the room with a king bed as requested weeks in advance of arriving. Come to think of it, all of my email communications pre-trip went unanswered. The staff was very accommodating in changing our room to a room with a king bed. One thing that did catch my eye was the fact that each electronic room key cards have a sticker on it with your room number and are reused for the same room guest after guest. So much for the point that the card system was designed so if you should lose the card no one will know which room you are in. So if you ever get room 404 – I washed my hands before using the card… can’t say that about anyone else using that card.

We got into the room and were initially hit by a heat wave. One of those heat waves that takes the moisture right out of your eyes. The type where you can feel your face shrinking. I immediately found the thermostat, selected AC, and turned it to 5 C (was preset to 22 C). Nothing happened. No noise of a fan kicking on. It was at this stage that my fiancée called me into the bathroom to inspect a pubic hair stuck on the backside of the door. Awesome. I opened the window and we decided to go into town to get some dinner as it had been a long day traveling from the US.

Location – this place is far away from anything you might want to see if you are a tourist. I highly recommend staying somewhere else if location means anything to you. There are two tram (19 and 3) lines that can take you to a Metro stop (Policlinico – Blue line) and one bus (53) that can take you to either a Metro stop (Barberini – Red line) or close to the Spanish Steps. Note that bus line #53 does not run on public holidays or on Sundays – found that out the hard way. We took the bus to the Spanish Steps the first night and it took at least 30 minutes to get there. There is a great story about a bus driver shattering the glass partition with his elbow while arguing with a customer, but that is not related to the hotel.

So we get back to the hotel (it is December and cold outside) and get to our room with the window open… and it is still pretty warm. I figure it only feels warm because we came in from the cold. Wrong. We spent the night with basically no sheets covering us with the window open sweating on the rock hard bed. I cannot underplay how much I was sweating all night long.

I went to the front desk the next morning and made comments regarding how hot the room was and the front desk said they would send someone up to look into the problem. When we returned that evening the room was still blazing hot so I went back down to the front desk where I was told to turn off the heat…. Ok. I withheld comments and calmly expressed that the heat was off and set to 5C but the room felt closer to 30C (Which is 86F and a bit of an exaggeration, but I was trying to make a point). The front desk guy said, “That is impossible”. I still laugh at that exchange.

So the guy came up to the room and looked at the thermostat and concluded it was off. And then he was off, leaving pretty quickly before I asked him how to raise the shutters to get more air in the room. He looked at me like I was an idiot and pressed a small button no larger than a square inch just to the right of the electrical outlet and the shutter started to open. Out went the helper. Nothing like having your window wide open all night long just to try and get the room bearable – “hello person across the alley, how are you tonight?” Even with the window open and it being close to 5C outside, the sheet was more than enough… almost too much some nights as it was very hot in the room. When I asked the front desk if I could turn the AC on to cool them room I was told no, the AC does not work.

Down at the bar one night I overheard another table talking about how hot his room was. I hope he found the switch to open the shutters.

One more thing - there are a lot of tour groups that pass through here. The reception area can get very busy and the line for one of the two elevators can get very very long.

Some positives – the bar was not overpriced compared to the rest of Rome. A bottle of decent red wine was only 20 Euros. The front desk did recommend a nice pizzeria for dinner and they also helped arrange a driver to take us to the airport. The driver turned out to be very nice and took us on a tour of the Roman highlights on the way to the airport (it was a fixed rate ride, so no extra distance fees).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2009

It was a 4 star hotel so had the frills but its too far from everything. No bus from the center fo rome goes there directly so have to change two buses far from the Hop on Hop off route as well. And its in the middle of no where so no good places to eat. Plus in 120 dollars a night they didnt even include the breakfast which was 12 euros per person. Though was clean and had frills. I would not stay here again for the reason that its too inconveniently located and we wasted an hour every day just trying to get back to it.
Also when we tried to check in at 9 30 AM two hours before the time. We were told flat out that the room is not ready and the person at the desk didnt even bother checking. I would have appreciated the courtesy of him atleast pretending that he checked.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aimen
Meridian MS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

The Hotel Borromini is located in what is described as upper middle class section of Rome, just off the Piazza Hungaria. It caters to tourist groups. Provides a good continetal breakfast but otherwise plan to eat out. I booked it as a 4 star hotel and was very satisfied with the room and housekeeping. Located just half block from a bus stop you can be in the heart of tourist attraction Rome in 10--20 minutes. It is also just 3 blocks from a major tram line. A single person traveling alone may want a bit more excitement and company of other travelers. Most guests were part of tour groups. There are at least two wonderful resturants within walking distance, Tavern Rossini and second escapes me, but it atually better than Rossini. Both were recommended by desk clerks all of whom were multilingual.

If you want quiet comfortable in a residential neighborhood I recommend Borrromi. Public trans or taxi's required to reach tourist Rome.

Billy C. Beal