“Great hotel, well located”

Marcella Royal Hotel
Ranked #101 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Woking, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, well located”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel! Staff is great and they helped me surprise my wife in her birthday with a cake and champagne! Great hotel! I recommend! They are always willing to go an extra mile. Also walking distance from Termini and various tourist locations!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leew Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Went for a long weekend in Rome with my husband for my birthday two weeks ago and stayed in the Marcella Royal Hotel.

When we arrived, two hours early, we were greeted warmly and told that our room was already ready for us to check in, which was handy. The room was very small and garish, but as other reviews have suggested very clean and comfortable. Even though we were only on the first floor, we did not hear any noise at all from either the street or inside the hotel.

As everyone else has said, the rooftop bar is really lovely, and we were lucky to have sunny weather so enjoyed watching the sunset with a beer at the end of each day. When the barman found out it was my birthday, he gave us two free glasses of champagne!

The staff at the hotel are clearly well managed as they all seem to really enjoy their jobs and are all so friendly and helpful. The only massive downside to the hotel is its location really - not because it is too far from the main sites (although after a couple of days of walking to them your legs will be knackered!), but I don't know if it is because we were there in February so a lot of stuff was shut or what but there is not really anywhere decent at night to go and have a drink. The area around (Villa Borghese) is very pricey - we got stung when we went to one bar - Harrys I think it was called - and got charged 11 euros for one small bottle of Peroni! And we live in London, I have not felt so bad about paying London prices out since we've been back! And even the surrounding restaurants were expensive. So we basically spent every evening negotiating the not terribly reliable bus system to get to Trastevere, which is a much livelier part of the city.

So in summary, if you are looking for a quiet location, with a quiet, reasonabily priced hotel and lovely staff this is the place, but if you like a bit of atmosphere of an evening, stay in Trastevere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuperDhupar
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

My gorgeous wife booked a trip to Rome to celebrate my birthday. It was both our first time visiting Rome and what an amazing weekend this was. The Marcella hotel is absolutely fantastic because of the staff, location and decor. The room (628 if I remember correctly) was perfect and well maintained. The weather was nice and sunny so we spent most of our time walking which I think is the best way to see Rome. We used the Metro twice only and it was cheap and reliable although not very clean. Note that people aren't courteous so make sure you get off at your stop when the doors open or else they'll push you back in! Back to the hotel... the roof terrace was lovely and patio heaters were switched on when we arrived. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be in summer. The views over the city are fantastic and you can see the Vatican in the distance. There are lovely restaurants a stone's throw away from the hotel. Also there's a nice little bar called Music Bar a short distance away if you looking for something a little more lively. In summary, I would strongly recommend the Marcella for your Rome trip.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stopped at this fantastic hotel for the weekend last November and had a first class stop. The room was large and spotlessly clean (number 618) with a view to the Vatican in the distance. The staff here are an asset to this hotel, everyone from the front desk to the brilliant barman Salvitore are more than helpful. Breakfast is very well done, if you can eat outside on the terrace. Salvitore booked a local restaurant for us which was fantastic (about 10 doors down) I recommend you try it. The hotel is situated fairly close to all sites but away from the noise and bustle of the city centre, try and watch the sun go down on the terrace with a bottle of local wine, its lovely!

Room Tip: I think we stayed in room 618, its pretty big with good air-con. Views to the Vatican in the distanc...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FrankYeovil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

What a lovely hotel in an excellent location. The staff are so friendly and welcoming. The roof terrace is gorgeous and the views at breakfast time are amazing. Our room was huge and immaculate. On my 50th the staff left a bottle of champagne and decorated the breakfast table for us. I would thoroughly recommend the Marcella Royal.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gina H
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I have stayed at Marcella quite a few times in the 90's and early 2000's. My fiance and I decided to book a trip to Rome and I immediately made the suggestion of staying at Marcella as I had so many great memories!

Although quite a few years have passed I fell back in love with the hotel once again! The Marcella is situated in a fantastic part of Rome where you are close enough to the attractions but just far away so that you don't feel as though you are a part of the tourist circus.

The staff are very welcoming and knowledgeable with the area. They also remembered that I had stayed at the Marcella several times before and gave us an upgrade to a bigger room with a fantastic view! This came as a huge surprise, and we certainly welcomed the upgrade!

Breakfasts at the Marcella are fantastic! Some of the best in Italy. There is a very large spread to choose from- eggs, bacon, cheese, cereal and a variety of pastries.

I cannot wait till our next visit to Rome just so I can walk through the Marcella lobby once more! Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The Marcella is very close to an amazing restaurant called Da Vincenzo's! Ask the staff for dire...
3 Thank ilavatelli
Davyhulme,, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Just returned from a 3 night stay at this really nice hotel.
Lovely room ( They seem to be upgrading them slowly but surely) and we got a nice modern room up on the 6th floor.(646)
This room was also very handy for the roof top breakfast room and rooftop bar/patio area with nice tables, chairs, potted plants and shrubs which made for a really nice rooftop oasis , all very well maintained.
This is a real plus point for the hotel as Rome city centre hotels seem to have very limited outside space. (many have no outside space)
The hotel and the rooftop bar area was quiet in January but still great to have a beer with the very friendly barman.
Breakfast was typically continental fare and perfectly fine to start your day off
All other staff we encountered were also very friendly,helpful and happy to assist you with any questions , requests, information you might need.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anybody visiting Rome

Room Tip: Ask for one of their 'upgraded' rooms ( 646 for example)