“Mixed feelings”

London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,029 helpful votes
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

A very good location. The hotel is situated on a side street. A very small reception area. The receptionist was efficient and friendly and so was the concierge. We were upgraded with out request which was nice. The room was large with a large beautiful marble bathroom. Stunning antique furniture all around the room.

There was noise late at night from the corridor, it is not the hotels fault but it did disturb the tranquillity.

The problem was with the breakfast. 2 waitresses which were literally rude and blasé! They did not come to the table for 14 minuets, even though it was not busy. Both were just chatting to each other laughing constantly. I got up and requested coffee for two; the dark hair waitress looked at me with a rather unpleasant stare. She came to the table to take our order, but was cold and unfriendly. My wife was rather upset by her approach. It did ruin our meal.

The bar service at night was very good and the wine delicious.

On our check out after we were asked how our stay was, I informed the receptionist about the breakfast incident. He thought I was joking! I advised him that I was not. He explained that the waitress that we were talking about is very shy. I said in reply - She was certainly not shy to us!
I expect from a hotel in this calibure which has a good reputation, to employ affable and polite stuff not a rude an impolite stuff.

2 Thank Sea98
francocaruso, Direttore generale at Barocco Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Guest,

I would like to respond in regards to your experience at the Hotel Barocco:
1. You say that you were offered a free upgrade and your comments on the room were much appreciated;
2. The staff at Reception were friendly and efficient, and this comment will also be very well received by the Reception Staff. I know they work very hard each day to satisfy the requests of guests from all over the world;
3. In regards to the noise in the hallway, I can only presume that some guests, who returned late in the evening, were not careful enough in realizing that others would be sleeping. I am sorry for this inconvenience and apologize on their behalf;
4. You enjoyed the bar service and the wines suggested. Our Barman has just finished the intermediate course as a sommelier and is currently attending the third and final course. He is courteous and professional and this makes a stop at the bar a pleasant experience;
5. The waitresses at the breakfast were, instead, unfriendly with you and did not maintain the level of service for which we are normally commended, as you can see from other reviews. On this point, I am not sure what went wrong but will certainly raise it with the staff members in question to avoid any future incidents of this nature and which definitely do not place the guest at ease. Since we normally receive lots of positive comments on the breakfast service, It is probably for this reason that when you referred the event to the Reception they thought you may have just been joking and did not take the required action.
In conclusion, I agree with you that the staff of a hotel with our reputation must have the characteristics which you describe and it is for this reason that I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I may take the necessary action.
With kind regards,

Franco Caruso
Hotel Barocco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 2 July 2011

The hotel was lovely. The staff was extremely helpful. The room was very clean, cozy, well decorated, and homey with a very nice bathroom! The location was a few minutes from the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.
The breakfast was fantastic! I would recommend this hotel to everyone with no hesitation.

2 Thank Tripophil
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Beautiful hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Wonderful location with easy access to public transportation. Easy walking distance to many tourist sites.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank twinkie4104
albuquerque
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Just spent 3 nights at the Barocco. I last stayed here in 2006 and it has since been remodeled.
This is a fantastic location - a short walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. The location just couldn't be better.
Our room was small - a little tight for 2 adults. The bathroom was huge - very atypical for Italy. If mood lighting over the shower, rainfall showers, and very modern baths are your thing than this is definitely the place for you. I would have preferred some more closet and storage space to an oversized shower / bathroom.
The staff is great, the breakfasts generous. Must admit though that I missed the older style that existed before the remodel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cattivojo
Weston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2011

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Italy. We spent 4 nights in Rome at the Barocco Hotel and 5 nights in Sorrento at another hotel.

The Baracco was perfect for us. It's located just a few minute walk from the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. We walked to both every night for dinner and people watching. We were able to walk to the Coliseum and it took us about 30 minutes which wasn't too bad. The subway or Metro train station is right across the street from the hotel. We used it to get to the Vatican which is just a few stops away and also to get to Naples when we were heading to Sorrento. The subway was very easy to use.

The hotel was very helpful and responsive before my arrival. They helped arrange a pickup at the airport for 50 Euro before our arrival. I think if you book directly through the hotel's website it's cheaper but I had booked through a different website.

The staff was very pleasant. We arrived and they upgraded our room for free. The room was perfect. It was small but the bathroom was large and we had a large bathtub. The beds were 2 twins together and super comfortable. I found the linens (nice big duvets) to be very clean and comfortable.

We actually stayed at the hotel at the beginning of our trip for 4 nights and then we came back the last night of our trip to fly out of Rome. The last night we were not upgraded so we got to experience the classic double and it was also very nice. It was very similar to the upgrade but without the bathtub.

The free breakfast was perfect too! There was a large table of pastries, meat and fresh fruit and bread. You can also order an omelette or scrambled eggs. The waitstaff was very friendly!

The hotel staff was very friendly. They suggested places to eat in the area and helped us with directions to nearby attractions.

I would stay here again!!

2 Thank juliemartin910
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The hotel is centrally located....within minutes you can be at piazza republica, spanish steps, trevi fountain, via del corso and condetti....the rooms are great and the receptionist Michelle Trabucco great with all the possible help he can extend...highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank gupta_shivan
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 20 June 2011

we stayed here for 3 nights- great concierge- recommended great close by restaurants- on Piazza Barberini- 5 minutes from Spanish Steps- great bar- small rooms but nice bathrooms!! Close shutters to outside so sun doesn't shine in- we didn't figure that out until the last night-

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family