“Great hotel in a superb location”
Review of Barocco Hotel

Barocco Hotel
Ranked #16 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I stayed in Hotel Barocco at the end of our trip to Italy.
The location is excellent between the Spanish steps and the Fontana di trevi.
Rooms are comfortable and the bedding is perfect.
The hotel staff are super helpful and the restaurant they recommended was great.
When we return to Rome we plan on staying at the hotel Barocco.
If you have a motorcycle riding permit I would recommend renting a scooter , it is a great way to see Rome

3  Thank light12
Write a ReviewReviews (3,067)

Reviewed 19 July 2011

We ended our Mediterranean cruise with an extra day in Rome. As an avid globe trotter, I have stayed in many hotels all over the world. This was not my first time visiting Rome. I have to admit how impressed I was with the level of cleanliness of a city hotel. The hotel signatured bathroom amenities were a nice touch. I did not expect that. However, upon arrival to the entrance of the hotel, I was quite surprised to see how small the lobby was. It literally fits one sofa and the small front desk. There was a huge line of people trying to check out while there was only one staff taking care of one customer at a time. My husband had to stand right outside the sliding door, because there was not enough room to stand in-line. I realize that the hotel operates out of a prehistoric building, which was beautiful. But I have never seen such a small hotel lobby especially with this kind of price. The elevator was very claustrophobic, 2-3 people max, not including your luggage. They did not have a service elevator. Many times, we had to wait for the maid to drag the laundry out of the elevator in order to get in. By the way, even though the metal plate on the elevator buttons showed "Ferrari", do not expect any speed when calling for one. Most of the time, we just dove for the stairs. They only had the elevator on every other floor. So you either have to take a flight of stair up or down after you exit the elevator to find your room. I know we are very spoiled by American standard. My husband and I stayed in the Grand Suite during our cruise trip. Our pricey hotel room was merely a third of a size of our ship room, a little bigger than our ship's bathroom, which was difficult to get used to. There was no view. But knowing that we only have to stay for one night, we didn't let it bother us. The staff was very helpful with giving us directions to various places, gave us a map of the city, and made our dinner reservation for us when asked. They were very friendly and courteous. Breakfast buffet was adequate. The ordered coffee was very delicious. I wish they had more Protein options. Although you could order cooked eggs from the waitress. There were multiple varieties of bread and tons of sweet baked goods to choose from, which took me by surprise. I thought Europeans eat healthier! Over all, I think the hotel exceeded my expectation on cleanliness. However, I would splurge a little more for space and view.

5  Thank Soonie99
francocaruso, Direttore generale at Barocco Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Dear Guest,

It is 2 o'clock in the morning in Italy, and not being able to sleep, I
accessed the internet to find your comment. To reply to you is an
excellent way for me to overcome my insomnia and the long night ahead of me.

I would like to delve into the concept of "claustrophia" to better
understand the feeling you are trying are express. I am asking myself
how can have worked for the past 10 years in an environment which is
able to generate such feelings from our esteemed clients? With all
sincerity, I was not able to find an answer to this question. From what
you state, I am working out of a shoe box and this should generate in me
a feeling of anxiety to have to return to work in just a few hours. But
the truth is that I have no such feeling and probably this simply due to
the fact I am Italian and live in a city with thousands of year of
history, where the roads are busy and narrow, the old cellars below the
buildings have today been converted into restaurants, the bars where I
stop to have breakfast in the morning rarely have the space to sit down
to drink our traditional espresso. What can I say, this is one of
Rome's characteristics but also what makes it so fascinating.

I have the same fascination when I come to your country. I find
particularly fascinating cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Boston
and San Francisco which I often visit for work. These cities are so
immense that I sometimes feel lost coming from a place like Rome. The
last hotel in New York had a lobby so large that I felt I was at a
central train station, but this did not generate in my a feeling of
acrophobia. On the contrary, I joked with my assistant telling her that
the lobby of the hotel was probably equivalent in size to all the houses
located on our streeet!

What I am trying to say, dear guest, is that the Hotel Barocco is a
small boutique hotel, situated in the very heart of the old city of
Rome, and I don't want to give misleading information to those who read
these comments, but you come from one of the largest nations in the
world, travel on cruise ships and stay in the Grand Suite which has a
bathroom three times the size of our rooms. I ask myself why you chose
our hotel which is located in an historical building on one of the
oldest Piazzas in Rome. a piazza which has seen kings, Popes,
scupltors and artists GO by and which is an important part of the
history of our city?

As always, I leave it up to the members of this important community of
travellers on TripAdivsor to draw their own conclusions.

Lastly, I think it is important that a guest who had such an initial
negative approach with a hotel was, in any case, satisfied with the
quality of the service, the cleanliness and, above all, the courtesy of
our staff. These are imporant factors which we strive to guarantee
every day and night in order to offer the best of Italian hospitality.

It is now three o'clock in the morning and time to turn off the computer
so I can try to get some sleep. Another day full of new experiences
awaits me, thanks to all the guests which honour us on a daily basis
with their presence at the Hotel Barocco.

Franco Caruso

Reviewed 16 July 2011

Very good hotel, clean; very good services and the best breakfast!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElisaNanu
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Staff were great, room was really nice and spacious. Zero view from our room, but did not care. Good location so would definitely reccommend.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter200018
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I hope I can spare you all the hours of research I did with books and trip advisor. Book Hotel Barocco for the most wonderful hotel experience in Rome. Every part of the stay was perfect. The location: on a lovely side street off of Piazza Barberini where you can walk 50 feet to a metro or bus stop or a 10 minute walk to the Spanish Steps or 10 minute walk to Trevi Fountain and if you're into walking just keep going and you can get to Pantheon and Piazza Navona. The ambience: absolutely silent! It was incredible during crowded, busy, noisy July in Rome we heard nothing from our room. You can barely even hear other people's doors close. The breakfast: order your eggs and your coffee any way you like and then add to it with fruit, breads, cakes, proscuitto, cheese......oh my, it was hard to decide. The staff: we were greeted with notes and gifts for our anniversary and they were always so helpful and friendly when making our dinner reservations and giving walking/metro directions. The room was a comfortable size and the marble bathroom was a good size and done beautifully - great shower head but wierd shower door so water splashes out a little. Had an adaptor for my hair straightener but the outlet still killed it. No clock in the room - bring one if you like to have it. It was a luxurious, very special experience that we recommend to everyone. We went on from Rome to Positano.....going to give another excellent review to Hotel Palazzo Murat. The food in the south was better than in Rome, in our opinion, but some restaurant comments in Rome:
Ninos (spanish steps)- too expensive for what it was
Ditirambo (campo di fiori) - mediocre food and the most unfriendly waiter
Gusto Osteria (via del corso) - very good
Cul de Sac (navona) - only go if you really want meat
Le Namauchie (colosseum) - our favorite Rome meal
Also, if you're looking for walking tours I hope I can spare you hours of research. Rich Brunn was excellent for our Vatican tour and Antonella with Rome Walks was fabulous for Ancient Rome walk.

Room Tip: the deluxe double room was a comfortable size - we got treated very nicely since they knew it was ou...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dabuddy
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed for 3 days and nights, and loved every minute of it! Hotel staff was so helpful and welcoming, our room was small but beautifully decorated and the bed was amazing! Buffet breakfast and wonderful bar at night completed our day. Located near everything, an easy walk to all things Rome!!!! Would go back to the Barocco in a heartbeat!

2  Thank rmp0
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We expected a small room as we were told rooms were small in this hotel, and in general space does come at premium in Rome... so we were very happy to receive a very comfortable deluxe double room which had been upgraded free of charge from a standard double. I presume that this was because we had a carry cot. Overall the entire hotel has been decorated to a high standard with marble/ cream color pallet. The bed was the best we have slept on and the sheets were clean and fresh, changed every day. The bathroom offered a spacious modern large sink and spacious modern shower with lights. The breakfast was very good offering a wide range of continental breakfast with the addition of ordering hot omelets at no extra charge. Try the traditional italian one with basil - beautiful. All the staff we mature, professional, helpful and very pleasant, something of a premium in the UK. I cannot fault this hotel in anyway. If we return to Rome we will stay here again.

Room Tip: definately upgrade to delux double if you can afford.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family