All reviewsbus and metrohotel runsnice hotelpick pocketsthe hotel staffvery pleasant stayquiet areamini barreceptionistsights
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We were very pleased with the service of this hotel. It's located a bit far from the centre, but you can get there easily and cheap by bus or/and metro. However, it didn't bother because it takes time to get anywhere in Rome. But at our point of view, traveling is more than hotel and colosseum ;) We liked especially people around and in the hotel, the service was way beter than in centre, prices were cheaper and overall experience good.
Hotel itself was modest, but we only stayed to sleep so it served us well.
Wonderful old lady was truly friendly and lovely. Alex the receptionist helped us with everything soooo much (we took roadtrips to venice and florence) from car rental to hotel bookings!

We definitely recommend this hotel to everyone who's travelling without kids and are looking for something more than faceless giant hotel. This was our first time in Italy, we didn't speak Italian but it didn't matter, we got new great friends, definitely perfect experiences and lots and lots of beautiful memories. We even picked up basics of the language with a little help from personell and local grocery stores clerk! We'll sure to head back there!
Grazie e buona fortuna to all personell at Hotel Aurora Garden.

Jari e Teija, Finland

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jarrrtsa
Reviewed 30 July 2011

hello!
I stayed in Aurora Garden for 5 days and from the very first second i felt absolutely comfortable!
I wasnt sure about the distance from the city when i booked and arrived, but if you can read and listen well to the advices of the hotel concierge, its so easy to get all over Rome and even outside. I bought an one week ticket in the Tabacchi store left round the corner for 16 euro , which is valid for bus and metro. You can also have a 3 day ticket ore a one day ticket. There are 2 possible busstations: one is across the street at the gasstation, which you receive, when you go left out the hotel, next right and straight. Its the bus 337 and it brings you to Lago di Pugliese. from there you take the number 60, the number 63 or the 90d bus to the city. To go back, its the same of course, just take care, that the last regular busses only go till 24:00 pm. The other way is out of the hotel left, then right and the next left again, straight till you come to more highly frequented cross road. if you would go straight on, you would come to a cheap supermarket called LIDL( not even 10 min to walk from the Hotel) but you go left to the bus cross the road and take 334 or 343 to Rebbibia, where is the metro line B to bring you to the city. So Bus 60 and metro is directly going to Collosseum!!!! From there i would walk, which is no prob with a good map, you find anything you want very easily.

The roomservice is excellent, everyday cleaned with fresh towels and a fresh bed, no smell in my room!

The breakfast was good, you have bread, which you can toast, cheese, sausage, butter marmelade, boiled eggs, cake, cerials , milk, juices, chocolate spread and different kinds of coffee or tea. you can eat as much if you need!

To come to the emplyees: i just can say, i never found such a nice and helpful service before, and i have been to many hotels!

I do absolutely recommend this place and will come back for sure!!!!!

Dear Aurora garden management and all, who are working there, thank you again so much , that you made my stay in Rome so easy!!!! :) <3 yours, Brigitte Paino

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank BrigittePaino
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I booked this hotel for myself and my boyfriends first trip abroad. We chose this hotel based on good reviews, only to find out when we arrived in Rome that we had made a terrible choice, as it was costing us 30EURO each way per day to get to the city centre and back by taxi. Yes, we could have used buses, but they all seems to be backwards as in going completely the wrong way. Asked locals that understood English for directions to the Vatican City and other attractions, but they gave us the wrong directions and several people didn't even know what the Vatican City was, which I find very strange! Anyway, back to the hotel.......

As we walked in it smelt of cigars and other unpleasant scents. The man on reception who happened to be the Hotel Manager, was very unwelcoming to me and my boyfriend, as spoke to us like we were dirt on his shoe. He checked us in, whilst on the phone to somebody, didn't sound business related either, so probably was a personal call. He was not proffesional at all. When we asked for info on attractions he was very vague and said "what do you want to go there for?" (at this point - we were talking about the Colleseum).

He asked for our passports, which at that point we found strange. However, later on we found out that hoteliers to keep them for a few mins to get details. He had our passports for at least 45 mins, and when we asked for them back he was reluctant to give them to us. Finally, after an hour we got them back after many sly comments from the Manager and bad humour. He then made comments to me in front of my boyfriend saying i was Beautiful and he said i can have my passport back if I gave him a kiss on the cheek. (had this been anywhere else - i would have taken it as a joke and seen the funny side, but he was serious).

We went out for dinner, then later returned to the hotel to find he was waiting outside for us and said " i was wondering what happened to you and what time you would be back". We both found this very strange. He was over-friendly, but weird too and his joked lacked humour and came across as sleezy. Went to hotel room, and cried my eyes out to my boyfriend because i felt unsafe, i wasnt sure if we would wake up the following morning. He seemed so dodgy, and the fact our door wouldnt lock made me feel very uneasy.

The next day, without the manager seeing us, we checked out and went to another Hotel (which was very nice).

We had such high expectations of this hotel, but it wasnt all its cracked up to be - as it is too far out from any attractions, no shops, hardly any - well not even 2 bus stops, and it is very misleading. Also, rooms were nicely decorated and had a balcony - but it was dirty, musty and the bed was dirty. We left this hotel very disappointed and underwhelmed.

I actually couldnt believe what we had experienced on our first night of our first holiday together. This hotel ruined our whole trip.

There is more i could say about this hotel, but i think i have said enough for now. If you want to know more please email me --------------

My advise to anyone staying in Rome, do not stay here or anywhere on the outskirts, stay near the city as it is far too expensive each day!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ShanelleB
RomaGiugiaro, General Manager at Aurora Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear Mrs Shannelle
I am Mrs Ludovici and I am the General manager of Hotel Aurora Garden.
I read your review with reluctance,noteing your disappointment, probably, you thought our Hotel
Was more centrally situated.
I’m surprised that two youngsters like you didn’t use internet to its full advantage.
I’m almost fifty years old and I suppose I don’t navigate like youngsters. google maps can show you exactly where the hotel is.
However I would like to answer comments step by step:
I read that this was your first trip together ,as a mother who’s son is 21 also that this is a very important age for you.
You probably chose our hotel for its good reviews(71% recommends our hotel)
When you reached us you found that the hotel was not where you wanted it to be, and maybe
afraid for some sort of difficulty in reaching the city centre and its cost.
You wrote that it took you €30 to reach the city centre …… no need to spend all that!!!
With €1 euro bus-metro ticket will take you to the city centre and is valid for 75 minutes
Or you can buy an all day bus-metro ticket for €4. and still have €24 to spend .
From the city centre to the hotel normally its about €15-20
Sometimes hearing comments from other clients not everyone seeing tourists are honest
with them but this happens worldwide!!!!!
You also said you asked information about getting to the Vatican city in a store that spoke some English … you said That they gave you wrong information. seems strange to me maybe the language barrier was the cause!!!!!
It seems strange that someone who lives or works in Rome does not know where the Colosseo or Vatican city is.
Cigarettes smells: I agree I don’t smoke myself but you said that the hotel smelled of cigarette smoke. Impossible, in Italy its against the law to smoke in public places.
Your arrival : when you arrived you were received by the concierge and not the hotel manager who is a Lady ( I am the manager). You assert that he looked you in disgust but I know my collegue and I can say with confidence that none of the people that work in Hotel Aurora Garden would have behaved as you say ""as he spoke to us like dirt were on his shoes"". Just you at the beginning of your review you say that you have chosen our hotel for good reviews. In many of the review is can read the word FRIENDLY .
The man tha you met on your arrival is a man who could be your father and that he has received in the ironic way to make you feel at ease being 2 scared young people.
Also answer the question "where is the Colosseum ?" a sentence with "what do you want to go there for ?? " was simply a playful way to make conversation and certainly not with other intention( why would ?).
And we arrive at the moment when you were asked for passport . Have you found something strange ? Maybe don't you know that to sleep in a Hotel in Italy everybody have to give their personal details ? Maybe you don't know that in Italy at the end of the every day we have to send to the police all details of guest that stay in our Hotel . But perhaps I understand that being the first time you don't know this rules. You also say that your passport will have been delivered after 45 minutes...maybe...but I don't understand what is the problem ? .. you had your passport back ???
You sayd that hen made comments to you in front of my boyfriend saying you are Beautiful and he said he sayd that you can have your passport back only if you gave him a kiss on the cheek. (why you think : had this been anywhere else - i would have taken it as a joke and seen the funny side, but he was serious .... he try many times to entertain you). But you think that this man (42 years old , you are 21 years ) that could be your father sayd this words in front of your boyfriend has bad intentions ?
And about the call of the man at the reception, we inform you that we receive calls from people wanting to book for both @ mail or phone and ask us various information (where we are, how to get there ... etc) what should we do close the phone. ..
Is not our habit to make personal telephone at the switchboard...

Let us return to the point where the hotel after your dinner. You say that the same person was waiting for you ( are you sure? we have other guests in the hotel) but you should know that the turn of the man in question ended at 22:30 hours and where he was supposed to go? one of his tasks is to stand at the 'entrance to the hotel to welcome guests. He has asked you "" I was wondering what happened to you and what time you would be back"" .... sorry but I don't see the cruelty and malice also in this sentence spoken by an adult to 2 young people , a little frightned that according to them the morning thy had already lost....
Dear Mrs Shannelle I am sorry that your first trip alone you had so much fear you will not sleep in peace but I think you had not a real vision of what happening to you. I can guarantee that all the doors of the hotel have a safety lock that you can turn inside the room but probably in your not experience you have not seen. I am sorry.
The next day when you and your boyfriend came down at the reception and you are done checing out I was there along with another receptionist but you did not say anything. I would have been able to explain and help but in spite of my collegue has asked if there was any problem you answered NO, only that you wanted to go in more central hotel . Sure I understand.
ù
About the cleaning I don not think that is how you say and other reviews say, hopwer if you found any problem as a manger I extend my apologies .
As a mom of a boy of your age I ask you to reflect on what heppened and try to look at everithing more clearly.

even apologize for your unfounded fears
Greeting from Management of Aurora Garden Hotel

OUR MAIN PURPOSE IS TO ASSIST OUR CUSTOMERS IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Due to our ignorance, we selected this hotel for its price. However, we were not aware of its POOR location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a trek to the hotel. It is situated in a suburb area and you want to AVIOD it at all costs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The staff receiving us was a gentleman and he was obnoxious, unfriendly and pompous. He did not even congratulate us on being able to find our own way to the hotel. Mind you, some steps to get there were missed out; mainly, walking from the bus stop to the hotel.

How to trek to the hotel?? Take the bus/ train to Stazione Termini. Take Metro B all the way to Ponte Mamoolo, then change to a bus 343 or 344. Get off at Niucolai (if you are find the stop), then walk for another 15 mins to the hotel. Total journey time - 2 hours.

The rooms were too small and they didn't provide much amenities. No shampoo, just a small sachet of shower gel per person (???). And just generally RELUCTANT to help a guest get from the inconvenient location to the centre of ROME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to give you an idea, imagine, a bed & breakfast but just cutting corners to make a few more cents off you. That feeling sucks right. So do you and I a favor and just AVIOD this hotel. It should just close down and not embarrass the magnificent city of ROME.

Room Tip: Aviod this hotel!!!!!!! Do not stay!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Browniebay

Dear Browniebay,
I just do not know how you could have spent 2 hours to get from Termini station to the hotel since it was you said that you took the subway (10-15 minutes) then you take the bus 343 or 344 (another 20 minutes) and other 2-5 minutes to walk for other 350 meters ( 15 minutes ???) ? very strange. However, in the Internet age, with the help of google map where you can see everywhere and if you want you can also see the construction of the structure, do not understand how most of the negative reviews are that we are not in center? but you inform yourself before coming to us? When I travel and I have the address of the hotel where I stay, the first thing I do is take a look on google map to avoid any problem .... And we are not on the moon, but in an area of ​​Rome where all you need is the good information and travel in the easiest way possible
Anyway, our area has many advantages that you have not in the city center Quiet, good food and the pleasure of seeing the real life of a Roman citizen with its customs and traditions and not just made things only for tourists

thanks anyway for being our customers

Reviewed 8 June 2011

This hotel is probably the furthest you can stay in Rome... good 20 mins bus ride after the last metro stop of Rebbebia! The hotel is right in the middle of a residential neighborhood, and if we would open our balcony door we'd be forced to watch the daily chores performed by the residents of the opposite building. Rooms were too small, and the air conditioning poor for Rome summer. There was only one old and cramped elevator which could hardly fit one passenger with their luggage. Breakfast was sumptuous. The garden patio and the lounge were well decorated and spacious - wish the rooms were same too. Not worth staying here if you are on a quick tour of Rome - you would waste good 2-3 hours commuting every day! The staff were friendly and spoke English.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family