All reviewsbus and metrohotel runsnice hotelpick pocketsthe hotel staffvery pleasant stayquiet areamini barreceptionistsights
Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Currently staying at the aurora garden hotel with my boyfriend in our first trip away together, granted, the hotel is a fair bit away from the centre... but for the bargain price I didn't expect it to be right in the centre anyway!! The city centre is easily reachable via a taxi/metro or bus. The hotel even put on a free shuttle bus! Upon arriving the guy on reception was lovely, full of help! We even got lost on our first day and called the hotel and he sent a taxi to pick us up! The hotel is clean, the rooms and spacious and it's situated in a quiet area away from the hustle and bustle of city life! I feel that for the price we paid in June to come to one of the most expensive cities... we got an absolute bargain! X

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carolyn C
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Hotel OK about 20 minutes to centre hotel runs a mini bus in the morning about 9.30am but you could get the bus earlier to miss the crowds.

The breakfast was nothing special no tea and toaster was not working but the danish pastries were very good.

The reception staff spoke English and were very helpful.

No air con but we were able to leave the balcony window open as there was a security shutter and it was a nice area.

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank suzywoo2015
Reviewed 21 May 2017

Where to start! The whole trip didn't start well - we'd booked the shuttle bus transfer. When we went to the desk at the airport we were told we would have to wait for an hour. The transfer finally left the airport after 1 hour 15 minutes, and the journey to the hotel took 1 hour 45 minutes, calling at different hotels all over Rome on the way. So that's a "never again" decision! I was treating my daughter to a 4 day break for her birthday. We were given the keys to our room, only to find that although we'd booked a twin room, we'd been given a double. After a bit of moaning the room arrangements were reluctantly sorted. Breakfast: In a dingy basement, with a choice of cheap ham, cellophane wrapped cheese, stale bread, not very fresh croissants and that's about it. Didn't bother after the first morning as it was more like a punishment. The bar area is disappointing, as basically you have to go and tell reception you'd like a drink as they do that bar as well. Not much of a selection, just a fridge with bottled beers. Very un-atmospheric. And then the journey ti city centre: from looking at the hotel website it appeared to be fairly quick with the new metro extension. Thing is, you have to first get the bus to the station, which is very unreliable and waited one day for 1hour 15 minutes. Most times the entire journey would take at least one hour, which is too much travelling for a short stay. I wished I'd paid a bit extra and got a hotel nearer to the centre of Rome. And a word of warning - do be very vigilant whilst in the centre - it is rife with very skilled pickpockets. I had both my purse and bank card nicked, even though I was being really careful, and my daughter fought off an attempt at someone trying to grab her phone! Still, the sights are pretty amazing so well worth a look!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

We arrived quite late a couple with teenage daughter glad that I insisted on eating on the plane . The hotel didn't have anything on offer other than Danish pastries. The staff are all very welcoming and pleasant . Our room was very dated with dark red bedding and curtains old furniture . Decent size wardrobe no drawers . An empty mini fridge . Large bathroom . Our room was very clean nice fluffy towels no complaints about that . Breakfast I was disappointed with horrid hot drinks machine limited choice of cheese meat cake . Did have fresh orange and cereal if you like the milk . Hit miss with bread olives feta . Lots of room for improvement . When breakfast room full everything runs out . Lady replenishing works tirelessly and is helpful. The hotel puts on mini bus every morning @ 9,30 it will take you to the metro station . If your back in time it will be there at 6pm to bring you back . We didn't use the return . It's around 20 min to the metro . We paid 10e in a taxi back had to wait a while the taxis stand is just across road from where mini bus drops you . We also used the bus 337 takes you to the main road and then a few min walk to the hotel . Don't panic as the bus goes through a housing area before getting back on the main road . TBH the bus drivers and people were not very helpful so be alert . I do not recomend you walk from hotel to metro you will get lost bad start with all the walking you do inday . I also recommend that you have your evening meal in Rome . There are a few snack bars near the metro nothing much at all near the hotel . We tried to get in the only nice looking place with cows outside several times but were ignored . Did manage a little cafe near petrol station limited beers snacks the owner was lovely they close at 8pm . If you walk right up the hill we visited the Chinese because it was the only place open my husband was ill all night . The hotel staff marked off other places of interest to visit on the map this helped us a lot my hubby was constantly using the map to get our bearings from street signs . I was surprised how bad the tourist signs are unlike home we have the brown signs pointing you in the right direction as your walking . We bought 3 metro tickets at the metro station and as the ticket wasn't stamped until later that day (sat) we managed to also use them on Monday morning . They included bus travel . Inexpensive . Great way to cover all the sights as ours was a mini break. If we had gone for 5 instead of a 3 night break and been more organised where we ate then I don't think the location of the hotel would have been as much of a pain as I found it . The staff ensured we had a pleasant stay. But the hotel was too far out for me . Really needs updating . People need drawer s expect mini fridges to be full . To have English channels on tv . To be able to purchase a selection of snacks if not meals . It is a residential area . Loved Rome expected it to be expensive was overall disappointed in the food . Make sure you have sensible shoes for all the walking your going to do . Enjoy ... hotel management big thanks to all your staff . Hope you take at least some of my feedback onboard. Our transfer wasn't until 19.40 and you have to be out of the room by 11 am we were able to secure our room until pick up for 30e this left us to enjoy another full day in Rome . I want to go back to Rome it's a beautiful city much better than Paris in my opinion I would chose an inner city hotel next time where I could nip out and get something to eat and try a few different bars you don't have this option here unfortunately .

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 October 2016

A fairly basic hotel with some nice and helpful staff.
It was a little bit out of the way and the Italian transport system was not so helpful or reliable so it ended up costing quite a lot in taxis to ensure events were reached on time.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo