“very good, clean hotel in nice neighborhood”

Albergo Carlo Magno Hotel
Ranked #938 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Hotel is very clean, rooms are big and we had very nice view from our room. Bathrooms are very big and clean. It seams that hotel is recently fully renovated. We didn't have problems with noise due to good windows and our room was looking at via Sacco Pastore. Hotel is in nice neighborhood, close to the some villas and embassies, it is not dark and scary to come by night, very close to via Nomentana, but little far away from center. Nice restaurant at the top of the hotel. You can leave your luggage after check out in the hotel and fully use the last day of visit. Also, there is digital safe available in room without any additional payment. Gentle and helpful staff. Fully recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ivana_bg

Reviewed 15 May 2010

Stayed at the Carlo Magno while on a Scenic Italy Tour with Trafalgar,and found it to be only adequate in terms of having a clean place to stay.
The hotel website suggests taking the FM 1 from the airport to get there,but we did that and found it very confusing to find our way to the hotel upon getting off the train at that particular stop. No signs at stop as to which way to turn to get to the outlying streets. If you were to arrive at night in the dark , it would be totally terrifying to find yourself there. If I had it to do over again I would take the train to Termini and then the bus to the closest stop to the hotel. Bus #90 that would get you the closest to the hotel. It is easy to get to hotel from that stop,and it is worth the trouble of transferring at Termini train station.
There are no shops or restaurants to speak of in that area except for 1 which we did not try. Buses are confusing and take at least 20 minutes to get to centre of Rome. Spend a few extra dollars and stay closer to the city centre where you can walk to most sites.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank bobie
Reviewed 10 May 2010

We stayed 5 nights at this property in room 204.
Way too much noise from street and hallway. Walls paper-thin.
Toilet super-loud when flushed and leaked all night until I closed the valve.
No functional wifi. Had to go downstairs and sit in particular place, and even then on only 2 days. When I enter the hotel in the evening and ask "Is the wifi working?" and the response from the desk staff is "I hope so" that can't be good!
Bathroom design has toilet right up against shower door.
Breakfast has zero protein. If you like sugars, this is for you.
City information given verbally by desk staff could stand to be more clear and precise.
Our rate (€80/per night) was pretty good deal.
Room was ample sized, clean, and comfortable.
Staff were marginally helpful. Frequent "it is what it is" attitude.
Maid service was quite good.
Nice rooftop terrace to eat breakfast on when weather permits.
Good location for #60 or 90 bus into city.
Great pizza by the slice place and gelato nearby.

Service, value, rooms, and sleep quality would improve with attention to what I detailed, and if some or all were improved I would recommend this property. As is, I cannot.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I stayed here with a group while on tour (I'm a high school teacher, I took a group of students to Italy) and had a single room. The room was adequate, the bed was pretty comfortable, but the thing that held the shower head up was broken and it never got fixed. There was construction going on somewhere nearby so it was a bit loud, but that was hardly the hotel's fault. I had a room on an inside courtyard so it wasn't as loud as it could have been. I can't speak about the elevator, because being with a large group I just chose to hike my suitcase up the stairs to the 3rd floor, and walk up to the breakfast room every morning.

The breakfast was fine, good selection, although the coffee wasn't very good, so I ended up getting an espresso from the little cafe down the block every morning (1 Euro if you get it in a plastic to-go cup).

The best thing about this hotel was the location - I actually liked that it was in a real neighborhood away from the centro storico. There was a great local market nearby where we shopped one day (I bought a lovely bit of cheese there), and it was great for my students to see the "real Rome." There was also a great gelato shop (Oasis) down the street, with prices that were much lower, and product much better, than what we found in the center. Also, the hotel is right on the Via Nomentana, which meant that there is a bus that takes you right to Termini Station. On the way is the paleo-Christian church and mausoleum of Santa Costanza.

I'd recommend this hotel to a friend only if the friend has no problem hiking up the stairs as the elevator is unreliable. A couple of my students got stuck in it one night and ended up in the basement.

• Stayed: April 2009
2  Thank UrbanTeacher
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Apart from the fact that all facilities provided are basic and by no means expected to be provided in a 3 star hotel, the worst part of my stay was that I had to deal with terrible noise at 7am. When I complained to the manager about the noise the only answer I received in a very rude tone was " there are too many guests-there is nothing i can do about it". Using the elevator can make you suffocate and be prepared to wake up at 5am if your room window is broken!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Stayed here for 2 night during September as part of a Trafalgar Tour. We stayed at about 10 different hotels in Europe and this was by far the worst.

The hotel lift fits one person and one piece of luggage in it and happened to be broken half the time we were there meaning we had to climb the stairs, which isn't such a bad thing but when your room is on level 1 and the breakfast room is on level 7 then it is not convenient.

Our room had a dirty grimy feel to it with old and damaged chip board furniture. The walls were filthy and covered in dirty marks up to the ceiling. The bath was created for a midget. The toilet was dirty, old and extremely noisy. After you flushed it continued to fill loudly for several hours.

Our room was very small, we could only open 1 suitcase at a time on the bed. It was also very dark as our window was covered with a huge metal window shade. We are thankful however that our room didn't face on to the main road as the noise of the horrible broken sounding emergency sirens would have kept us awake all night. The neighbourhood wasn't very nice and the restaurant across the road was terrible, which is no reflection on the hotel itself but there aren't many places around the hotel to eat or shop.

There were some positives. They had a computer with free internet. You could catch public transport into the city centre and breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank aussiefemale23
Reviewed 28 August 2008

I stayed 1 night in May 2008 in a double room. The area seems safe and downtown is not too far (you have to take bus, relevant bus station on “Via Nomentana” is very close).

The room was decently furnished but small and minibar was out of order. However, main drawback is the noise from road and adjoining rooms: the walls are really thin so that you can hear all.

The breakfast room includes a roof terrace but the relevant views are ordinary; the food is average (good cakes, but no hot foods as eggs).

I booked via a well known web site and I paid 90€ which appeared to me fair.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple