“Bugs,bugs and more bugs!”

Albergo Carlo Magno Hotel
Ranked #896 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
new york state
“Bugs,bugs and more bugs!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our group of 45 was booked at this property 12/31/13 for 3 nights.Rooms were dusty, smelly and remnants of past guests (papers. toothpicks!) were under beds and on desks. Multiple rooms found huge cockroaches all over the bathrooms. Windows were already open as hotel had tried to spray. When we complained the desk offered cans of roach spray. Other guests were coming to the desk to complain also. They had already tried to exterminate the roaches on a previous night to no avail. Can you say disgusting?? My group refused to stay and we found another, cleaner hotel, apparently owned by the same proprietor but a little further from the center. This property needs to be properly roach bombed before accepting guests. Shame on them and on EF, the travel company for using them when housing student groups in Rome.

Room Tip: Rooms on level 1 seemed cleaner than on higher floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank ProfessoressaM
massimo g, Direttore at Albergo Carlo Magno Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
I am the manager of Hotel Carlo Magno and I am writing on behalf of the family that owns and runs the business. I do apologize for not providing a prompt reply to those customers that recently displayed dissatisfaction with our services but it has been a very busy time.
First and foremost, I would like to thank every single one of our visitors for their trust and choice of preference and would like to extend my sincerest appreciation towards everyone rating our hotel with both encouraging words and constructive criticism.
I have read with sadness about some complaints pertaining the presence of insects in some of our rooms in the past few weeks. I wish to convey my apologies for such unpleasant reports which we do not wish to discard in anyway whatsoever. Indeed, we do admit to it as a consequence of serious issues in the area which we would like to address.
As you probably know, Italy in general and Rome in particular were hit by unprecedented amounts of rains in the months going from November until mid-February. On top of that, the neighboring area to the hotel was the site for some major constructions and drillings and that did not help. In the space of a few weeks, because of the heavy showers and the change of the morphology of the adjacent soil, it is true the area was infested by insects which found their way up to the surface via the sewage system.
Private households and commercial business alike were affected greatly. Unfortunately, our hotel was not exempted.
In an attempt to address the problem, we decided to shut down our premises for a full month (January) and hire professionals to implement in-depth reclaiming procedures. We also took advantage of the opportunity to refurbish the flooring, most of the rooms and the bathrooms.
We opened the business again in February but unfortunately the rains had not stop by then. While the situation was proving the be much better than previous weeks, we did still have cases of bugs in some of the rooms of the lower floors.
We recently conducted another round of disinfestation and we are now optimistic that the problem should be solved.
We wish to apologize again for the inconvenience. We are a family-run hotel, we strive for quality of service and care for our customers. Cleanliness especially is our top priority. The above described events were extremely difficult for us to manage and we do realize that some of our guests might have received an experience which is not compatible with what we intend to deliver as quality standards. For that, we wish to apologize once more.
We would kindly invite everyone to give us a second chance by coming to visit us again in your next travels to Rome. We value your business as much as we depend on your honest feedback to better ourselves.
Thanks

Carlo Magno General Manager
Massimo De Rossi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rio Vista, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

First, the good- The breakfast was a typical continental spread... perfectly adequate. Even though it's chilly, the view from the rooftop terrace was lovely. The location is decent and easy to find.
However.
There are several things about this hotel that were annoying- the impossibly thin walls, the teeny tiny elevator for a hotel with 8 floors, the extremely unreliable wi-fi, the inadequate hot water supply...
All of that is pretty typical of European economy hotels, and therefore, pretty forgivable. My bottom line is cleanliness, and this hotel wasn't clean. I noticed the floor was unswept and dirty- not a huge deal- but I stayed with a group, and in no fewer than 3 rooms there were either live or dead cockroaches. At breakfast, another group reported similar findings.
Unacceptable.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 710Donnie

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Carlo Magno for a visit to Rome.
The hotel is located in Nomentana area, so it is good to reach by car with less traffic than the city.
This is a cheap hotel, with good relation price-service. Rome's downtown is about 20 minutes by bus. Breaksfast is a tipic italian breakfast, milk, cappucino, bread, jam, fresh fruit.
We enjoyed a lot in Rome!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mary t
Patras, Greece
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Our staying at the hotel was exceptional. The hotel has a bus stop just right outside with many and frequent busses for Termini station (X90, 60L) and a couple more for Villa Borghese that go from early morning till midnight. The service was very polite and helpful and the rooms very clean on daily basis. The breakfast had a lot of options to choose from. If you are looking for value for money this is a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Aikaterini K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice with school groups. We found the hotel to be one of the nicer hotels that we stayed in, with the usual upsides and downsides.

Upsides: This hotel is very clean, serves a good continental breakfast, and is rather large. The bathrooms are clean, although I will warn you that every room is different so I can't guarantee anything. The rooms are made to house as many people as possible (my room consisted of one queen sized bed and one pull-out couch) and the hotel does a good job of making everybody tended for in the room. Lastly there are places to to around here that I felt safe in. Some places in Rome seem rather scary to a young tourist but I was able to walk out at night and get a gelato here without feeling like I would get lost or hurt.

Downsides: The elevator is the smallest thing I've ever stood in, and my room was on the 6th floor. It's faster to walk up the stairs than take the elevator. The wi-fi barely extends past the front desk, so you will have to be right down in the lobby to connect to it. (However, I find that all hotels in Italy are like this.) The rooms seemed very small because there were so many beds in the room, but we managed to work it out being that we were only there 2 nights. We did have a balcony, which added more space to the room, but we were only looking out at a back ally and when we opened the room we could smell the trash in the alley.

This hotel was good and bad, but I would probably stay here again being that the price was right.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank maxine l
Kenbridge, Virginia
Reviewed 23 March 2013

A little backstory,

I took a trip through EF and this is one of the hotels we stayed out. There were several other EF tours here at the time and it seems that this is normal. So they should be prepared for so many groups of people one would think.

First, they advertise free WiFi, sure if you can get on it. The service does not extend to anywhere but the main floor (so don't think you can get it from your room). I had to sit on the floor trying to connect and I couldn't. I tried for hours and the best I could do was get on my email for a couple of minutes before it went out again. Waste of time.

Second, my room had 3 beds squeezed into a room meant probably for one. There was no going anywhere in my room without tripping over something. Annoying.

Third, there was trash (and not mine) under our bed and In corners when we first arrived. So the cleaning wasn't that great.

Fourth, the elevator is beyond slow and at best hold 3 people. So if you (like me) get stuck on the 5th floor you are carting your bags up 5 flights of steps. Ugh... That gets old very quick.

Lastly the breakfast was blah at best. A horrible set up for a large group of people since we were all tripping over each other trying to get food. The food consisted of canned fruits (like peaches), some cereal, and pastries. I've had more authentic and filling breakfasts at places that cost less.

This could have been a good stay but I feel that this business cannot handle all the tours they contract with. They know they have a bunch of (mostly) students/tourists coming in and they cannot handle the amount of people. They advertise free wifi but if I cannot connect it is useless. Overall, the three stars they claim for their hotel seems a bit generous by my standards.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Texas
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Typical old building turned into a hotel. The rooms are all different sizes and shapes. 1 bed, 2 bed, 3 bed options. Some have bathtubs, others just tiny stand-up showers. The wi-fi comes in and out. There's a Best Western next door that said they had wi-fi too. Don't forget What's App is a free texting service on your iPhone! Skye too I think? Otherwise in Rome, go to a tabacco shop and buy 2 hours of phone service for like $5. VERY CHEAP SMART Phone option to use! Good location. There's an Irish pub around the block, a restaurant across the street. I'm pretty sure the breakfast offered is typical for everyone and not just my tour group of 50 staying there. It had a tv inside and hair dryer. There's a market 3 blocks away which was cool to tour. It's about 15 minutes from all the site in Rome. Personally, I think everything can be seen in Rome in 3 full days and then you've done it all unless you want to immerse yourself. Lombardo's near the Spanish steps has GREAT pizza margarite and homemade tiramisu! Spanish steps is near Rome's version of Rodeo Drive shopping. The hotel is 7 floors with about 6-8 rooms per floor. TINY elevator. Easier to use steps so use a backpack or be able to cart up and down 7 floors. Elevator takes forever. Friendly staff. You leave your key at the front desk every time you leave so the maid knows when to come clean. The beds are tiny and the pillows are FLAT! I slept on my travel pillow cuz I'm a spoiled American. I went in February so I suggest wearing long underwear under clothes. My friends were freezing and didn't! So heat/air wasn't a problem that I know of. The walls are THIN! I wore earplugs. There were 2 plugs per room but GET AN AMERICAN ADAPTOR AND CONVERTER and then I added one of those additional 3 plug options so I charged 3 things at once per outlet. I got my adaptor at Target for $29.99. But the convertor and adapter options are important so you don't blow a fuse which may effect the whole hotel!! Plenty of things around the hotel. Good enough location. Everything seems to be on the same streets, but you'll want to bus it to touristy stuff or taxi. Not walk. I'd totally hire a guide or at least buy the radio headsets in the locations so you get "more" information on the tours. After awhile it's just statue, ruins, art over and over. But if you get the background, WOW! Mass at Vatican is every hour, but it's very loud and touristy. 6 months in advance you can get tickets to tour the catacombs under the Vatican. DO THAT! I'm sad I didn't. There's only one Vatican souvinir store that blesses EVERYTHING you buy so buy a rosary there. They range from 7 euros to hundreds! I bought several for friends. They even delivered it to the hotel!? Buy candy at the market near the hotel if you need to bring lots home. It's hard to find large quantities like you'll find in the market in any touristy shop. There is some in the airport but it's more expensive. Wi-fi is only available in the lobby and it was colder in the lobby. There is one computer available to the public you can use for internet. Don't forget to see The Vatican tour, Mouth of Truth statue, Caesar's last stand, and the Castel San Angelo is only really interesting for the amazing view at the top! Spanish steps is worth climbing to take a pic from the top too.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor (so you don't have to go up and down stairs and wi-fi sort of works on 2nd...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends