“great value”

Albergo Carlo Magno Hotel
Ranked #927 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Had a very pleasant stay with my group at Hotel Carlo Magno, location was great compared to hotels i experienced in the past in Rome. Rooms were nice, spacious and clean. We had a couple of requests and changes that were promptly accommodate by the staff. Breakfast was way better than any expectation i had based on past experiences of group travel in Italy - and the breakfast room - simply lovely! Common areas very nice, very comfortable couches! My group and I were very pleased with the hotel - i will definitely request this hotel again for future travel! Well done!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Maryann V

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I travel to Rome often for work. I always book my hotels through a local agency I trust and always try to stay as close as possible to the train station as I like to be able to be on the central subway line.
This time the agency made a mistake and when I arrived in at the hotel late in the evening I was told there was no room for me but that they were willing to get me on a cab and take me to their partner hotel just a bit outside of the area we were staying.

I accepted (what else could i do) and was soon dropped off at Hotel Carlo Magno, some 5 miles north.

The hotel turned out to be a lovely surprised. In the heart of a very residential area, staffed with nice friendly people and close to subway access as well as facing one of the most memorable fish restaurant ever.

My room was spacious and clean but moslty very silent which is great for me as I am a very light sleeper.
Breakfast was far better than what i normally get in Rome, fresher somewhat and with more variety.

I think I have now found a new home for my next trips to Rome!

Grazie

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank Equilizer72
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Loved the stay at the hotel with my group of students! Location was just perfect, very close to the city center and very accessible. Kids loved thei rooms, nice, clean, comfortable and very spacious (for Roman Hotel Standards). Best thing: Breakfast and the breakfast terrace. I will never forget any sip of capuccino and bite of croissant i had on that breakfast terrace in December - Ti Amo, Roma. Can't wait to be back with my students!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jason S
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Me and my family stayed at the Carlo Magno , the hotel is highly recommended . Rooms were very clean, the staff friendly helpful and well English spoken , and the position is well situated and within easy reach of all the top sites in Rome. We loved our stay and were quite sorry to leave . Excellent !!

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank SharongailA
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I have spent four nights in Rome with some friends, we all stayed at this hotel and we really loved it! Rooms are very spacious and clean, we had a little issue with a TV but the staff has been very prompt and nice to help us out. Breakfast was very rich and the terrace overlooking Rome is absolutely amazing... We all had the best breakfasts of our life overlooking Roman roofs!! The location is very convenient, very easy access to the city center by train and bus. Overall a beautiful vacation and a lovely stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our group of 45 was booked at this property 12/31/13 for 3 nights.Rooms were dusty, smelly and remnants of past guests (papers. toothpicks!) were under beds and on desks. Multiple rooms found huge cockroaches all over the bathrooms. Windows were already open as hotel had tried to spray. When we complained the desk offered cans of roach spray. Other guests were coming to the desk to complain also. They had already tried to exterminate the roaches on a previous night to no avail. Can you say disgusting?? My group refused to stay and we found another, cleaner hotel, apparently owned by the same proprietor but a little further from the center. This property needs to be properly roach bombed before accepting guests. Shame on them and on EF, the travel company for using them when housing student groups in Rome.

Room Tip: Rooms on level 1 seemed cleaner than on higher floors.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank ProfessoressaM
massimo g, Direttore at Albergo Carlo Magno Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

I am the manager of Hotel Carlo Magno and I am writing on behalf of the family that owns and runs the business. I do apologize for not providing a prompt reply to those customers that recently displayed dissatisfaction with our services but it has been a very busy time.
First and foremost, I would like to thank every single one of our visitors for their trust and choice of preference and would like to extend my sincerest appreciation towards everyone rating our hotel with both encouraging words and constructive criticism.
I have read with sadness about some complaints pertaining the presence of insects in some of our rooms in the past few weeks. I wish to convey my apologies for such unpleasant reports which we do not wish to discard in anyway whatsoever. Indeed, we do admit to it as a consequence of serious issues in the area which we would like to address.
As you probably know, Italy in general and Rome in particular were hit by unprecedented amounts of rains in the months going from November until mid-February. On top of that, the neighboring area to the hotel was the site for some major constructions and drillings and that did not help. In the space of a few weeks, because of the heavy showers and the change of the morphology of the adjacent soil, it is true the area was infested by insects which found their way up to the surface via the sewage system.
Private households and commercial business alike were affected greatly. Unfortunately, our hotel was not exempted.
In an attempt to address the problem, we decided to shut down our premises for a full month (January) and hire professionals to implement in-depth reclaiming procedures. We also took advantage of the opportunity to refurbish the flooring, most of the rooms and the bathrooms.
We opened the business again in February but unfortunately the rains had not stop by then. While the situation was proving the be much better than previous weeks, we did still have cases of bugs in some of the rooms of the lower floors.
We recently conducted another round of disinfestation and we are now optimistic that the problem should be solved.
We wish to apologize again for the inconvenience. We are a family-run hotel, we strive for quality of service and care for our customers. Cleanliness especially is our top priority. The above described events were extremely difficult for us to manage and we do realize that some of our guests might have received an experience which is not compatible with what we intend to deliver as quality standards. For that, we wish to apologize once more.
We would kindly invite everyone to give us a second chance by coming to visit us again in your next travels to Rome. We value your business as much as we depend on your honest feedback to better ourselves.
Thanks

Carlo Magno General Manager
Massimo De Rossi

Reviewed 4 January 2014

First, the good- The breakfast was a typical continental spread... perfectly adequate. Even though it's chilly, the view from the rooftop terrace was lovely. The location is decent and easy to find.
However.
There are several things about this hotel that were annoying- the impossibly thin walls, the teeny tiny elevator for a hotel with 8 floors, the extremely unreliable wi-fi, the inadequate hot water supply...
All of that is pretty typical of European economy hotels, and therefore, pretty forgivable. My bottom line is cleanliness, and this hotel wasn't clean. I noticed the floor was unswept and dirty- not a huge deal- but I stayed with a group, and in no fewer than 3 rooms there were either live or dead cockroaches. At breakfast, another group reported similar findings.
Unacceptable.