“Good location to get out and about”
Review of Hotel Genova

Hotel Genova
Ranked #407 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife & I stayed here for 3 nights at the start of July. We arrived in Rome after a 10hr Sea crossing & a 4 hour drive at the end of our holidays.,After a slight mixup & delay with our booking we were kindly helped to our room. The room was clean & tidy & adequate for us, with our own balcony access. Wifi was a little hit & miss on the (6th Floor) but overall worked reasonably well. Breakfast area was very clean & tidy, with the food being good, but could certainly do with a few more options. Staff were adequate also, but overall didn't really come across as anything special. Location was close to the Main Termini, which suited us well. I would look elsewhere next time to experience somewhere different, but wouldn't be unhappy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 605 own balcony, kingsize bed & noise was very minimal
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The negatives were Room was small and not very clean with an odour,Staff would make good Prison Officers ! Very ignorant and surly,very poor English skills,.and don't be late for Breakfast !!Net was down and bland b'fast.

Plusses were very close to Termini central Rail and u could walk to Colosseum and reasonable price.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hamlet007
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our travel agent booked us into this hotel as we were only staying overnight on our way to Santa margherita. The hotel is basically quite good but the customer service is the worst I have ever encountered in my 40 years of travelling.
Upon arrival at 8am after a 24 hour flight from Australia we were greeted by an far too old man of around 65-70. No smiles, no words of welcome just went over our paperwork. He advised us our room would be available at 12.30 and that was it. End of convo. Then after checking at 3pm. I found a young woman on the desk. Asking her about wifi she pointed at a sign. What? I said? She pointed again. Oh are you telling me I need to read the sign? I think she got the message because after the daggers I gave her she helped me get on.
The breakfast was adequate but again the all male staff did not interact with guests in a friendly manner. Wake up management. You have a good hotel and your staff are not adding to your business at all. The location is right at the station in Rome but there are better hotels to stay where you get the true Italian spirit.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel in late June - although the location was good, close to the Termini Station- thats where the good part ended. The Staff were terribly rude and surly - almost making you feel like you were lucky to be there. Our room was very small and not very clean, but worse still, the bathroom was falling to bits. the wood around the door fell apart nearly knocking my partner out. The shower was mouldy and leaked. House keeping was very poor - not bothering to remove our empties that we had placed neatly on the table, or replace toilet roll which we asked for twice. The wifi was non existent (a sign was put up saying that a storm had knocked it out - which was not true as it hadnt been working for a few days before that. When we asked the staff we were rudely told that it wasnt their issue and that wifi was a luxury - not a right. Not acceptable for a 4 night stay which cost in excess of £450.

Room Tip: If you have a choice - spend your money where its appreciated, and where you get the basics one requ...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steven J
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I had three days in Rome before a cooking tour and Hotel Genova was perfect. I walked to the Colosseum and Forum and the main train station is a few blocks away which I used to get to other sights - Spanish Steps, Vatican and more. The staff was friendly and helpful and a nice breakfast to start your day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived at genova hotel and the front desk girl was nice she offered two rooms to choose from.. The room is so small and the shower is super tiny.. The location is perfect walking distance to many sights and extremely close to the termini.. the breakfast was ok for me . Would definitely go again if i went to rome

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2014

After an initially good impression of the hotel, my boyfriend and I were devastated to discover that 110 Euro had been taken from our safe. According to the staff no one was able to unlock our safe but we counted the money before we put it in the safe and afterwards. Nothing was done about it and the staff treated us as if we were the criminals. Due to this issue we requested that no staff were to enter our room for the duration of the stay however this was ignored as we returned one day to find that someone had in fact been in our room. We complained and were met with the manager who then waived our city tax fee. However, my boyfriend and I were treated like children due to us only being 19 despite the fact we were fully paying customers. Many of the staff were quite cold apart from one man (I wish I could remember his name) who was very warm and welcoming.
The breakfast is nothing above average. The bread was stale everyday and the boiled eggs were very cold. The hotel bar is also extremely overpriced, you would be better going to one of the pubs as it is cheaper and they have much better atmosphere.
Location wise the hotel is great for getting around as the Termini station is literally a two minute walk away. However the street the hotel is situated on, Via Cavour, is very busy which could be heard very loudly from our room.
Overall I am disappointed with my stay at Hotel Genova, money stolen and we were treated as though we were incompetent. Many of the female staff were unwelcoming and seemed annoyed when you tried to speak to them. My boyfriend and I are both students and we spent a lot of money on this hotel which I feel was wasted. In no way is this hotel a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: not on the second floor anyway
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple