“Good hostel choice for girls in Rome!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Papaya Female Hostel
Ranked #252 of 1,169 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed for 4 nights in this hostel, really good location near Termini.
The hostel itself is small but it has 3 bathrooms and like 4 rooms, so you really feel like you are sharing flat with other girls. The kitchen is small but it has the necessary like fridges and microwave. The only thing missing is cuttlery!! please get some spoons I had to use a small plastic one.
Another thing that need to be checked is that our keys for the outside door didn´t work, so we were lucky that we always found someone that was leaving at that time otherwise we had been loock out at night.
Everything is keep cleaned so I would highly recomend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed here for one night prior to going on a cruise. I booked it due to the price, and its close location to the metro.

Check in was across the street, I felt the woman working the desk was slightly rude, but it didn't bother me. I got a free map from there, and she then took me and two other girls across the street to the hostel.

It's a bit like a large apartment, with several bedrooms (four people in a room, which also had lockers and a table), and then a common room/kitchen area, and shared bathrooms. Bathrooms were actually really nice, but kitchen cleanliness wasn't fantastic.

Overall it was a really nice place for such a cheap price. I probably wouldn't stay here again, only as I spent a night at a different hostel after my cruise that was just as cheap, but a better location. However it was a really nice place and I'd be happy to stay again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I would recommend this if you are solo and want to be safe. It definitely is safe and about a 5-10 min walk from the train station. It is also near many restaurants and every morning they have a market outside on the street with clothes, fresh produce.

The hostel is great for interacting with other travellers as well. I made great friends here! The thing you must know is that the main reception area and where you check in is across the building of where you will be staying. there is another hostel (or many) across the street that is mixed dorms.

I dont know if i will come back here again because now that I feel lie i have more experience in travelling for a while, and be careful of my safety i would choose a mixed hostel and have more fun! :D

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed here in June with a friend while on a month long trip around Europe. The facilities were excellent: free wifi, and two desktop computers also connected to the internet that were free to use; a kitchen, which lacked a proper oven but had everything else you could possibly need; the bathrooms were clean and very nice; there were plug adapters available to use if you didn't have one with you; lockers in the rooms are free to use, and have the lock built in, so you don't need to take your own padlock; the hostel in general was clean, well decorated there is a supermarket and some restaurants very nearby so plenty of places to eat if you don't want to travel more into the centre; it is within easy walking distance of the main train station (even if you are carrying heavy backpacks!); the metro station is also at the train station and can take you into the centre of Rome quickly.
It was also very good value, especially considering how modern and clean it was. You do have to check in at a hotel across the street, but they do tell you this in your booking confirmation email or on the website when you book (I can't remember which). It is also a few floors up, you can take the stairs of course, but there is also a lift, even if it is a very old looking lift, it kind of adds to the charm. Although the lift is kinda small so if you have huge backpacks or suitcases I guess you might have to go one at a time, but this is hardly a huge problem.

Basically, its probably the best hostel we stayed in on our trip and I would definitely return if I was travelling to Rome with female friends again!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charbubbles
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I cannot recommend Papaya high enough! I stayed here for 4 nights as a solo female traveller and after some bad experiences at previous hostels regarding poor hygiene or safety I was thoroughly relieved to find Papaya was just as promised online. It was bright and light, modern, decorated, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was modern & fitted with a power shower bathroom cabinets, sinks and a clean modern toilet! There was ample space to lock my luggage in a secure locker, there were multiple power sockets in the room to charge my devices as well as some international adaptors which was thoughtful! The hostel was clean and everybody was friendly so I never felt at risk. The location is a 10-15 minute walk from the train station which makes it easy to catch the metro each day to various attractions and it meant that I never had to use a taxi. I only had one bad experience to report that was a nasty electric shock from exposed wires hanging out of the wall...So that was obviously a dangerous and unpleasant surprise as the wires shocked me while I was sleeping as they were right next to my bed...I reported it to the owners who apologised but I do hope they get an electrician to sort that out from a safety and fire point of view! But aside from that (which I'm sure is a freak accident) I think Papaya was great value, clean & convenient..as another reviewer said: Rome's best kept secret!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Emma9012
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Besides one handsy male helper, this place was great! The wifi worked, the bathrooms were beautiful and I felt very safe. Not to mention the location was very good. :) Just know that you have to check in across the street. I had a rough time lugging my backpack up one building only to find out I had to go somewhere else- they did send an email saying it, sadly I never received it. But it was really nice in all. Plus they had free lockers in the room!

Room Tip: Make sure it's Papaya hostel and not Il Paverado (spell?) that you book. Papaya's wifi is fr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We stayed at the Papaya hostel for a week and found it to be clean, safe and comfortable.
It was a great way to meet other travellers, chill after a hard days sightseeing and it has everything you need to make the holiday a great one.
Staff at the Il Papavero who administer the hostel were fantastic and nothing was a problem for them, lovely people!
It has 4 rooms , 4 people in each and 3 shower/toilets so there's never a scramble for the shower.
2 desktop computers and also free wi fi ,s o nobody gets cut off from friends or relatives.
I would happily go back as it's so central for all the transport and sights.

Room Tip: The room 4 to the back will be quieter as it looks on to the communal yard
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family