“Extremely small room” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #787 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Extremely small room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Hmm well a list of pro's and cons here with our stay !
Well situated across road from laurentina subway and bus station. We used the subway and some journeys we had to change lines but others we just stayed on our line. Brilliant for getting to all the main sites - but at times the carriages are crowded and peoples faces are practically squashed to the doors ! However the train back home to laurentina comes along about every 2 mins so we just waited for an emptier train ! Not much round the hotel though -there is a Carrefour supermarket along the road and a few shops round the corner but other than hotel restaurant/bar we only found a pizzeria - not to say they weren't there if you looked though !
We were booked in quickly and handed our key - yes key - none if this card business ! There are 4 very small lifts - we were on the 5th floor ! Neither my daughter or myself are keen in lifts and they looked very old -so we walked up the stairs -with our suitcase !! However I didn't ask for low floor so that was my error !! Hallway was stylish - room was well, small ! I have stayed in city hotels in London Paris and Hong Kong but this one was super small - 1 twin beds but at right angles with one going into an alcove - peeking at other rooms when doors were open I think we were dumped in this room which I think was prob a single and another bed put in it ! But we had a balcony ! No table and chairs but a good sized balcony none the less. Unfortunately it overlooked a main road but being city dwellers who live on a main road anyway this didn't cause us any concern and as it was warm we had our balcony door open every night while we slept ! We had a tv but only cnn and bbc world news in English. There was a mini bar fridge and a safety deposit box in the wardrobe and a chair and desk plus hair dryer in bathroom. Shower was a bit if a problem - size if a telephone box and a fitted shower head that only moved directionally not up and down !. Being only 5 foot 3 that shower head rained directly into my head and face and then ran down my body so it was more like a daily drowning ! It also didn't drain properly and I was stood in water up to my ankles - well until it flowed out and all over the floor ! Clean white fluffy towels though so that helped soak it up !
Cleaned well daily and to a high standard.
Breakfast was ok - nothing special but a nice continental style selection and was all self service with juice and got drink machines. Trying to get a clean table was a problem though -watched tables sit with dirty plates etc on for a good 15 mins before being cleaned. Our flight home was 7am so we were collected from hotel at 4am. The hotel had made us all a picnic breakfast - what a lovely touch !! We sat out in the courtyard one evening with a bottle of wine which was lovely and were brought little snacks free of charge - cake prunes and peanuts ! !!
All in all a fair hotel at a fair price which was well situated and clean. If you want a base where you only really want to sleep then it's fine - otherwise pay a bit more and get a bit of luxury and more bars etc in the vicinity. To be fair though, we were up and out by 9am and back by 8pm. And we were ready to lay on our beds and read by then ! Especially after a carafe of wine !!!
Tip : if you are doing Vatican, coliseum etc it is well worth paying the additional cost of a tour guide - money well paid ! We bought tickets at home because we were advised of the queues so we just paid further your guide on top - but a tour guide will also get your tickets and you pay all inclusive cost ! The tour guide was 13 euros for coliseum and palatino and 21 for Vatican City. They should all be licensed and charge the same and offer tours in a few languages. In the coliseum our tour guide was randomly chosen to have her license checked so it is a matter taken seriously !

If you are near the coliseum there is a tourist information centre set in a courtyard - it has tables and chairs and benches with toilet facilities and a kiosk for drinks and snacks. The Asian man working there speaks 3 or 4 languages and is great ! We also had the biggest cornettos I have even seen !!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank budgielover01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Andover, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The American Palace is very old and tired. The rooms are minuscule - I could barely walk around my bed without having to duck to avoid hitting the wall-mounted TV. Outside the hotel there are boards with 4 stars on, which might lull you into thinking this is a 4* hotel. It is not, by any stretch of the imagination. The rooms are small, yes, but that's not it. In my tiny room, the flooring was linoleum rather than carpet, the walls were chipped and battered, there were no coat hangers in my wardrobe and no tea or coffee making facilities. The bathroom was tiny and the shower cubicle (no bath) had chipped and broken tiles, and a leaking pipe dribbled water over the floor. Frankly, none of these things would have bothered me too much if I had managed to get some sleep, but this proved impossible with the dual carriageway outside the inadequately glazed window, and the constant clanking of the flagpoles that were attached to my balcony. Any sound from the corridor was amplified a thousand fold and the staff on night duty to whom I complained at 0230 were unhelpful in the extreme when I asked if I could change rooms. They said they were fully booked and that I therefore couldn't change, but I could see a number of keys hanging on the board. The bed was hard and the linen consisted of a sheet and a synthetic bedspread. The food in the restaurant was passable, but the menu was very limited with just three set options from which you could not mix and match, and the wine was definitely from the vinegar end of the spectrum. Breakfast was marginally better, although the fruit juice was the wateriest I have ever had (think Tesco Value considerably diluted). My recommendation would be to find somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Pyralisrae

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Warsaw
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

First-price: bearing in mind its Rome-like other EU capitals, the price is very reasonable.
Breakfast- no complaints except the coffee-absolute rubbish from a machine! Choice of food for breakfast is good.
Restaurant- I would recommend not to bother using it in the evening. ordering & delivery is a test of patience shall we say.
Room- for the price OK, beds are extremely cheap & narrow & I found it difficult not to continue to fall out. Annoying factor is the splash curtain over the bath. If you take a shower-it constantly sticks to you.
Location- 5 minute walk to Laurentina Metro, a 6 Euro 24hr ticket & 20 minutes later you are in central Rome. Finding a place to eat is not difficult & all tastes are catered for- I even saw some Curry places.
I was with a colleague for business meetings very close to the hotel- so it was a practical choice.
Would I go there again- yes.

Room Tip: 6th floor rooms seem to be more spacious
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Akersolinz
Kharkiv, Ukraine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

It's the most awful Hotel that I have ever been.
1. The rooms are very small and it was always noise, you can hear your neighbors and what is in hallway.
2. In the winter is cold, even if room has air-condition.
3. Before you arrive- hotel blocked full price for accomodation, and only after 15 days they are should unlock amount from the card.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valeri2014
Αριδαία, Ελλάδα
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

A simply good hotel. Nothing more. Large and very old. Small rooms and very closely. The food was good. In position outside Rome, but close to the metro and buses. UNACCEPTABLE staff. They were talking from obligation. Afraid to ask for something. Look at your face. Only these restaurants were good and polite.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Γιώργος Ε
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Uninviting. Room problems,Wasted time waiting to change rooms. 20 min to centre of Rome.Breakfast hit and miss and not great quality. First day table covers then they only appeared once more in 6 days?Works in room opposite.Dirty net curtains. Better room last two days. No desk light.DON’T accept what they try to offer you. Make sure you are happy before you move in! Manager offered me a total refund at start. HOW WOULD YOU THEN FIND A REPLACEMENT> My room smelt bad!!

Room Tip: Just make sure you get the size of room you book as they will say they are full and try to get you t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Eggtimer186225
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for five nights and I loved this hotel. It is clean and comfortable and convenient to the Laurentina subway station and several bus lines. The staff were friendly and courteous. Breakfast was included and there was a good variety of items in the breakfast buffet which is served from 7-10. The neighborhood where the hotel is located is quiet and safe. There is a Carrefour supermarket, a bank, and some small restaurants and shops within walking distance and it was about 15-20 minutes to the city center by subway. The rooms may seem small to American travelers, but it was comfortable and sufficient.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo