“Functional”

Hotel American Palace EUR
Ranked #1,047 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Easy to arrive with the metro, as it is on the last stop of Laurentina line. From there only a few meters to walk. Booking over booking.com we really got a good price. Breakfast was satisfactory to us. There was in enough choice. It's not very cosy as many groups are lodged in the hotel there is a lot of traffic in the restaurant. Unfortunately our bathroom in the 6th floor smelled very much of mold. This was a bit disturbing to us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We got into this hotel at around six o'clock on a hot day. Got into our room - so small we almost had to plan who goes where. Air conditiong was not on and the room was hot and stuffy, so turned it on. The air from the machine was not cold, it was moderately cool. By around midnight it has just started to be somewhat pleasant so I thought I could sleep - and the hotel turned the air conditioning off! So I took a cool shower to cool off in the hot room and tried to sleep - the cars passing the hotel made the windows rattle, and the noise kept me from sleeping. Got about 3 hours of sleep that night!

The good points: the breakfast was rather good, there was quite a lot of choice. And the free wifi worked well.

I might consider this hotel again if the weather was cool and I had no other options. But otherwise, no.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suomimies
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Well, i visited this hotel year ago and the location was not the best. As well as everything else, but it was a deal to stay in my budget for a trip and i never felt like looking for something more suitable for me. But my stay was over and i left with about neutral emotions. For my second stay it was obvious that hotel delivers nearly best prices and i booked it prior 3 weeks before checkin. And the same day hotel authorised the whole value of my stay. Ok i thought. But the next day i recieve a message from my bank that hotel authorised another whole value of a booking (for 5 nights!). I was surprised. I contacted hotel (but the speed of replies was so poor i thought they never got to write me one) and it said they authorised just once (lie). On my claim to refund me my money no response. So i cancelled my booking. Such a poor client sercice and some kind of fraudulent activity changed my mind to deal with it ever.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014

-good entrance hall and coffee shop area
- plain breakfast, do not expect skimmed milk, whole brain, etc
-close to the metro station and a supermarket
-there is a fruit seller in front of the hotel on the other side of the street what really helps when you have a crave for some fresh fruit
-be aware that the rooms (or the room I stayed in # 106) is small it would fit for only one person and the bathroom is also really small.
-avenue is also really noisy during the night
-staff is good

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I don't know if this is Italian's standard, but this hotel is Not even close to a 2 star hotel let alone claiming to be a four. Terrible beds, terrible, dirty and tiny bath tub. Don't let your kids walk on the carpet, it was so dirty. Room smelled, decor is so dark and old. We were there for 1 night in March. We asked to park inside on the hotel parking lot, at first they told us it was full. Then, we asked again, they told us our van was too big, so we offered to pay for 2 spaces, but they said no. We saw same vacant spaces but again they told us our van is the problem. They told us to park outside, it's safe..its next to the police station....NO It was not safe. Our car got broken in. It cost us 250 ueros to get it fix and lost half of our vacation day in Rome. It ruined our holiday not to mention, we've lost a few things from the car. They did help us to find a place to repair our window....not sure if they are related or not...but it seemed to me the hotel staff and the repair shop have been business of referrals before. It got me wondered.....it we were set up to park outside of the hotel.......

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom H
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Hotel very noisy, walls are made out of paper, doors slamming for most of the nights I stayed, breakfast although plenty of it was was mainly cousants, coffee was awful, I took my own stuff to make coffee in room ! But there's no kettle ! Asked at the restaurant they gave me a jug. If you get an early flight be warned that the taxi will charge you 45 euros, there is no transport early in the morning. Probably the worst place I have stayed, top it all they gave me a doggy bag for breakfast as I was leaving early to catch my flight home.

Room Tip: Take a tent
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Drew194
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Good: clean, nice restaurant
Average: the breakfast has more things than most of the Italian hotels, but nothing spectacular
Bad: hotel staff not very friendly, gives very brief information and speak little English; the hotel is far away from the centre, 5 minutes to the metro station and then 20 minutes to Colosseum or 40 minutes to Vatican City by metro. Don't even think about taking a bus, it will take double.
If you have a room that has window to the Laurentina street, it will be very noisy even at night.
They don't have quilts, just blankets so if you go in the cold season you have to cover yourself with more blankets. Or you can turn on the air conditioning but is very noisy.
The room that we got was very small, about 70cm around the bed until the wall.

Room Tip: rooms on the back side are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple