“Spiritual Location”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #640 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 29 April 2008

If you are looking for a location near to The Vatican then this is the place. On leaving your hotel front door you turn left and the Vatican is on your doorstep and I never tired of that view. People should remember that this hotel is an old monastery so if you are looking for flatscreen televisions and large bathrooms with wet rooms then this is not for you. The bathroom is rather small and the room is sparse but hey who is going to spend time in their room other than to sleep when there is so much to do and see.

I can't comment on the breakfast as I never tried it but the restaurant is nice with a price of approx 35 - 50 Euros per head excluding wine. The rack rate for this hotel is 350 Euros which I would not have paid - we got a special deal through Expedia. This is a popular hotel for people of the cloth and we had a priest who had just been ordained by the Pope having a family celebration on the Sunday.

Rome is very easy to get around and everything is well signposted. We did not use public transport as we found it much more fun to walk everywhere and discover Rome by ourselves. Il Trastevere is a short walk away and this is great after 6.00 p.m. at night with a vibrant nightlife with many bars and restaurants. Other major landmarks are all within walking distance - the only thing being that the cobbled streets eventually take their toll on your feet.

I will definitely go back to Rome but I think I will try another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chevvy26

Reviewed 29 March 2008

I assume that anyone giving a negative review of this hotel has never stayed in a European capital city before. $500 a night will get you a good hotel in a bad location or a bad hotel in a good location (we have stayed here a few times and pay around $300 depending on season). It is a bit frayed at the edges (small tv, small shower, small lift - what do you expect in a 15th century palazzo - they can't exactly pull a few walls down) but for the money you will be hard pushed to beat it.

It is close to the centre - very good for the Vatican and St Peters, 45 minute walk to the Forum, but does not suffer the constant noise of being near Piazza Spagna, Via Veneto, Termini, centro storico etc.

Don't expect 5 star luxury, but you will be hard pressed to get better for the money - unless you want to stay outside of Rome (e.g. EUR). Quiet, good location, plenty of bars and restuarants are walkable.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank London9000
Reviewed 17 March 2008

I presume you are going to stay at this hotel because it is very very old and want to see and experience some of the history of the area. If you are not here for the history or location - don't stay here, you will be very dissapointed. The hotel is clean but spartan. I asked for a large room (like in the photo provided by the hotel) with a view of the Vatican. I got a very small room but did get a view of the Vatican. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, lumpy and very soft. The desk service was not what I would call friendly. It was more of a "neutral" state. No smiles, the crew just went through the motions. The breakfast was good and you could fill up well on it . They had cereal, fruit, cold cuts, hard boiled eggs, bread, pastries, juice, coffee, milk and teas. If you want cappuchino or expresso, you must ask the server and she will go make it. The rooms you can visit are worth seeing, old frescos and oil paintings are certainly a site. Overall the hotel was OK. I am not sorry I stayed there but I wouldn't stay there again. My recommendation woul be to stay there a couple of days and then move on to another hotel. It is one of those, "once is enough experiences".
Patrick - California

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ucsbqueenie
Reviewed 8 January 2008

I stayed at the columbus with my two teenage daughters and I was slightly concerned that we might be too far away from all the major sites. This was not a problem atall. You can see the vatican from the hotel and all the other sites are all reachable if you enjoy a good walk.
We were all pleasantly surprised by the hotel. The building itself is very impressive, wide staircases and paintings.
The bedrooms definately need an overall and the bathroom needs a complete refurbishment.
The breakfast and breakfast rooms were lovely and the staff were helpful and friendly.
Definately value for money.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank LondonUna
Reviewed 30 December 2007

I was robbed inside this hotel by the minibar man. Sounds crazy I guess, but he took all of my euros, pounds and checks. I complained to the hotel manager who didn't even seem to care and implied I was making the story up. Luckily it happened the last night I was there, otherwise it would have been extremely akward.

When I went down to breakfast with my friend, we were robbed, we came back and saw the man leaving our room, I even saw his uniform, and I recognized him from the night before--he kept starring at my expensive libretto laptop. I suspect that was what he was looking for, but since I had it on me he only found my money.

My door was even unlocked when I came back to the room, I had so much proof at what happened, and the manage still refused to believe me, saying that he has known his staff for years and years.

When I got back home, I notified expedia and the police, and also a police report was filed in rome, even though the manager didn't see a point to calling them.

Other than this, my stay in Rome was fine. But I will NEVER go back there!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank operagurl
Reviewed 15 November 2007

I have never written a review before but felt compelled too, this hotel was very disappointing. I took my Mother for her birthday weekend and when arriving the reception was nice but on arriving in our room my Mothers face dropped, it was awful. It had fabric walls that were filthy, the carpet was too and the bathroom had not been updated for many years and we were very cold at night. It was also very dark and right at the back of the hotel. So we asked to be moved, we were the next day as there was conference on, the new room was not much better, again very outdated and it stunk of cigar smoke so that we had to leave the window open to air it leaving the room very cold. Looking at other photos it appears they stuck us away in the old rooms and obviously when we asked to be moved still did. The reception staff are courteous but nothing more than that and did not enchance our stay in Rome. I would not stay again and to be honest was pretty gutted at my selection for my Mothers birthday weekend.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank DEIFGH
Reviewed 7 November 2007

A decent hotel, rather old, but that's what makes it average. It's architecture is wonderful, as well as its art and grand dining rooms. But, the sleeping rooms need quite a bit of updating. The room rate was good and the daily breakfast was quite good. The dining rooms have a great old world charm. The staff is incredibly friendly, gracious, and warm. There are a lot of very good small restaurants in the adjacent neighborhood but you have to cross the Tiber to get to the major areas of the city. However, if you're looking for easy access to the Vatican, then this is the place to be based. It's a very safe area that is very busy during the day and very quiet at night.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family