Hotel Columbus
Hotel La Rovere(Rome)
  • Bar/Lounge
Residenza Paolo VI(Rome)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspeter's squarevatican cityborgo piosistine chapelhotel restaurantfantastic locationother attractionshamvisiting romepublic transporttrevi fountainspanish stepsfrescoespopestefaniacheeseconvent
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of June for the second time, this time I was with my dad who did enjoy the old look of this hotel. I still feel this hotel is too expensive, but I have to say it is still a great option because of its proximity to the Basilica and Vatican Museum. When we arrived we were told we will be staying at the next door hotel for one night because of a pipe problem in our room, which make me nervous because of a previews review I read here about this same issue, but let me tell you that even if this was an inconvenience because you can't unpack, we were treated very well by both hotel Staff, and actually the hotel next door is really nice. On the next day we were given a bigger room than what we had booked, which was ok but i would have preferred to received the 15% discount they promised for my senior dad, which was never mentioned or offered of course, Unfortunately we had an annoying couple staying above us who was yelling out of their window to their family member who was in the garden area. Anyways our stay in this hotel was good. My only complaint is that in the Garden restaurant we weren't let to eat in the inside, just outside which was an inconvenience because it was windy and felt like the dust was going to get over our food. We decided to go somewhere else. Breakfast is just Ham, salami, cheese, bread and fruit. Don't expect nothing more, very basic.
Another thing I have to mention is that the staff helped me find last minute tickets to the Vatican, with skipping line, which was really nice.
This is not Hotel related but beginning of June is very crowded in Rome, Vatican was a nightmare, I went to Rome in the beginning of September and was more much relaxed than this.

Safe travels

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LOBV11
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel the end of March, 2014. When we first arrived at the hotel, we were surprised how close we were to St. Peter's and the Vatican.....we were within a 5 minute walk! Since this area was our primary focus for this trip, it was the perfect location. The hotel itself is older, but that added to the atmosphere. We arrived several hours before check-in, and we were able to store our luggage there in the hotel, allowing us to walk to St. Peter's, and walk around inside the Basilica and attend Mass before the crowds arrived. When we arrived back at the hotel, our luggage was in our room. We had two rooms, both very large and both very clean. There were three beds in our room, and still had plenty of room to more around....wonderful room. The beds were all very comfortable. The bathroom in the room I stayed in was a great size....plenty of space. Not sure about the bathroom in the other room. Plenty of towels so we never had to ask for extra. The people at the hotel were extremely helpful, always going out of their way to help us and make suggestions to make our outings easier. Each time we passed the desk, they greeted us as if we were friends. When we walked out of the hotel in the evening, we had the gorgeous view of St. Peter's lit up in all it's glory. Magnificent! We enjoyed our time here so much, that I really have to say the hotel and the people that work there enhanced our Rome experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 937leighp
Esther B, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind review, I am really glad you had a nice stay,
I will immediately share your comment with our Team members,
Please come to visit us again and do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Yours sincerely,
Esther Beretta
Reservation and Event Office

Reviewed 21 May 2014

We got this room as a mystery pick pick through a booking site. Well we were in luck! Free parking and wifi was provided as requested. Free parking Rome you say? Yes free parking 50 metres from the Vatican and while the wifi didn't work great in our room it still worked in the hotel. The rooms were clean and well presented and our room had a beautiful view of the Vatican.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review I am really glad you had a wonderful stay,
I will immediately share your comment with our Team Members, and particularly with the Reception Team for their attitude.
Please come to visit us again and do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Yours sincerely

Esther Beretta
Reservation and Event Dept.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We sent to this Hotel by a local , they told us for the price and since we wanted to walk to the vatican Museum, this place was grate, it has allot of History as well, many of the objects in the Hotel have history, we found out that a past Pope's family lived here as there home, so that tells you how old the place is, they do keep the rooms clean, the furnature and decor take you back to another time zone and that alone is grate, you feel you have stepped back in time! So if you are looking for friendly staff who speak english, a central location and walking distance to the Vatican and much more, this is a grate place to stay, we are Italian and english , so we loved it here! Bravo to all the staff and wonderful people that make this place "ROCK" !!!!!! The D'Agostino and Armstrong families!

Room Tip: if you ask way ahead of time, you may have a better chance to have a view of the Vatican if you like.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with 30 other people on a pilgrimage to Rome. The tour company picked this hotel and really bragged about the opportunity to stay at this place. When I looked at pictures online it also looked great. When we arrived we were disappointed to find pictures can be very deceiving. First, the elevator can only accommodate 2 people with luggage at a time. It is also very slow! The stairs are very steep, so you either walk or wait forever for the elevator. If this hotel had to be evacuated fast because of an emergency it would be impossible! The rooms need to be redecorated and update the furnishings. It also needs a good cleaning! On the other hand, the food was good and you have the best location for St. Peter's Church in the city. You will either love this hotel or hate it depending on what you expect. It is a historic building and doesn't have the amenities that most people are looking for, but it does have comfortable beds in a 1960's style room. I found all of the personnel friendly and accommodating. If you want a modern hotel you need to find another place.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends