“Great Location!”

Ranked #599 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Lima, Ohio
“Great Location!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife, daughter, and I stayed at the Columbus Hotel from 6/29-7/3 2014. The location of this hotel is AWESOME. Just a couple of buildings down from St. Peter's Square, very close to ATM's, and major bus routes. This was our second stay in Rome, the first trip we stayed too far away from the city center, and this location definitely got us close to everything!

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and did everything they could do to make our stay here enjoyable. We booked 4 nights that included breakfast. The breakfast was pretty typical fare for Europe, and was the same each day. It was very convenient to at least have a full stomach before walking miles and miles through the city of Rome!

One downfall was the quality of the rooms. We are not snobs by any stretch of the imagination, but we were disappointed in our room based on the many pictures their website had advertised. The room was spacious, and had a basic vinyl tile floor, a small TV that barely worked. The worst was the A/C. It was a wall mounted unit above the bed that struggled to keep the temperature below 80 degrees...which was extremely uncomfortable for us after walking around in the 85+ degree heat all day.

Overall a nice hotel for a short stay, the location is perfect, I would just suggest that they continue to upgrade the rooms with 21st century fixtures (such as the A/C units) to make the stay much more enjoyable!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jason C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Tigard, Oregon
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was my third time in Rome and I was excited to be staying so close to St. Peter's. The room I received was fair and breakfast was good and ample. The staff is another matter all together.
This is a hotel where you leave your key with the front desk if you are going out. I dropped off my key and went out to dinner with our group.
When we got back, they could not find my key. What could have been handled nicely, became an embarrassing situation for me.
The woman behind the front desk accused me of having taken the key with me and losing it insisting that all keys are controlled by her and that a missing key is not possible. She then had me wait in the lobby while she sent a bellman up to my room to make sure that I was not lying and that my room was locked. Of course, this was all done in front of other hotel guests and my group of students.
The bellman returned to let her know that the room was indeed locked. She then made me wait in the lobby while they checked to make sure that the key was not floating somewhere behind the desk. I'm still not sure why this was not done first. They found nothing.
She came to our group in the lobby and made a big production about giving me an extra key and how I was not to lose it. At this point, I had had enough. I told her "Let's be clear; I gave you that key." She backed down a bit but not by much. I went up to my room very angry.
Our tour leader stayed down in the lobby to use the internet. At this point a woman came down from the restaurant complaining that her key did no work. Come to find out, they had given her my key. The woman behind the front desk apologized for the confusion; however, she did not apologize to me. When I found out the true story the next day, I was even more angry. Not one apology did I get, nothing. Had we not been leaving that morning I would have had a talk with the manager.
Next, I get back home and realized that I may have left two small items behind. I emailed them and, a week later, have yet to hear anything.
Our tour company uses this hotel and I am going to ask that they stop using them in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Geoff H
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Beware. Unless your needs are backpacker level, look further. I consider this place to be shelter only. My room was dark and nasty with no view, WW2 television, no air and no breeze, that was in May. Threadbare linens, filthy carpet. However, I did see other rooms with tile floors, decent bathrooms, good towels and air conditioning. Not sure how you win the room lottery here. WIFI in rooms was pretty much non-existent. Breakfast was very good. Location awesome.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christine S

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This was the second time in Rome for us, and both times we stayed here. We would absolutely do it again. For us, the proximity to St. Peter's (and the view up via della Conciliazione to the majestic dome) goes a long way. We looked at a couple other nearby options before booking this time, but we love the history of this place. The staff is accommodating and friendly. Both times we have booked family rooms, which have two separate bedrooms sharing a bath. Even for a small family of three, it was worth it.

The breakfast, in a gorgeously frescoed dining hall, is only average. Some people had legitimate problems with their AC, and one night it did seem as though they had cut it off, because the room got warm. But we had no other problems with the AC, and this was during a hot stretch of June.

For the charm of the history and the location, we would absolutely return to Hotel Columbus.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Drays7
Mino, Japan
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel was originally built as a cloister and we can feel its glimpse everywhere in the hotel. The staffs at the front desk were all very nice and offered good help. We can have breakfast in a restaurant whose ceiing was painted by frascos. We can walk to the piazza Saint-Pietro in few minutes and to the Vatican Museums in 5 minutes. We can hear the chime of bells from the cathedral in our hotel rooms. The only thing we annoied was we had to walk 10 minutes to go to the metro station.

Room Tip: On the 4th floor and on the Vatican side, you can see the roof of St. Pietro Cathedral.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ガメラ
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous, different rooms with frescos a good example is the restaurant. Gorgeous. However I was not pleased by the hotel rooms. The carpet was old and stained the room was very small. Also the furniture was not in good shape. The bigger problem was the bathroom which was very old. There was no shower just a tub with no shower curtains. Personally they are all things that need to be fixed because from a 4 star hotel I expected more. At least to have a shower. More like a 3 star hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Samuele F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of June for the second time, this time I was with my dad who did enjoy the old look of this hotel. I still feel this hotel is too expensive, but I have to say it is still a great option because of its proximity to the Basilica and Vatican Museum. When we arrived we were told we will be staying at the next door hotel for one night because of a pipe problem in our room, which make me nervous because of a previews review I read here about this same issue, but let me tell you that even if this was an inconvenience because you can't unpack, we were treated very well by both hotel Staff, and actually the hotel next door is really nice. On the next day we were given a bigger room than what we had booked, which was ok but i would have preferred to received the 15% discount they promised for my senior dad, which was never mentioned or offered of course, Unfortunately we had an annoying couple staying above us who was yelling out of their window to their family member who was in the garden area. Anyways our stay in this hotel was good. My only complaint is that in the Garden restaurant we weren't let to eat in the inside, just outside which was an inconvenience because it was windy and felt like the dust was going to get over our food. We decided to go somewhere else. Breakfast is just Ham, salami, cheese, bread and fruit. Don't expect nothing more, very basic.
Another thing I have to mention is that the staff helped me find last minute tickets to the Vatican, with skipping line, which was really nice.
This is not Hotel related but beginning of June is very crowded in Rome, Vatican was a nightmare, I went to Rome in the beginning of September and was more much relaxed than this.

Safe travels