“Charming hotel in great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #594 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Pearl River, NY
“Charming hotel in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July 2014. We booked it primarily because of its proximity to Saint Peter's Square. Its location cannot be beaten. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are quirky, as is so common with many old hotels across Europe. It was sweltering in Rome when we were there and the AC struggled to keep the rooms cool, but we were not uncomfortable overall. I would challenge anyone to find a hotel that is better value anywhere near this location. We would definitely return. If you have a chance to go to the bar / restaurant in the courtyard of the hotel, it is a fun break at the end of the day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Esther B, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Columbus, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosingour hotel during your visit to the Eternal City.
We read with pleasure that it was satisfied with your stay and our staff.
Looking forward to welcoming you with a special "Welcome Back" cordially

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spitting distance from St Peter’s Square, the Columbus is a graceful matriarch of a hotel, I’m sure it’s history would be really interesting. Friendly staff and a bit of a hike to get to our room (massive hotel), comfy bed, fantastic restaurant in the courtyard downstairs (the crème brulee is best I’ve ever had). Staff organised airport transfer for us.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
1 Thank Anitamorgan13
Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This could be a wonderful hotel. I emphasize the word "could". At the moment, however, it is far from perfect. I stayed here in July and truly thought I had been catapulted into one of Dante's levels of inferno. The first impression is good: the hotel is in a very old Palazzo and the lobby is classically understated and stylish, plus the staff very welcoming and friendly. However, as you move upstairs to the rooms, you notice how drab the surroundings are. As it used to be a convent it is not surprising that there is stark and austere air to the corridors and bedrooms but that is not an excuse for the state of the rooms. The room was extremely dark and drabby and not at all inviting. The carpets are so worn and dirty-looking that I did not want to walk barefoot on them, and the bathroom looked like it was put in before World War II. My toilet did not work and it was only when I returned from dinner after midnight that they agreed to change my room after they had been unable to fix it. What followed was truly farcical. After being shown a series of appalling rooms that were each worse than my original one, I finally agreed to a smaller one. It was as hot as an oven, but the concierge assured me that the A/C would cool it down quickly once he turned it on. The consolation for me was that at least this room had a decent bathroom. After unpacking (again) and showering, I realized that the A/C was not working properly. I tried turning it up higher and waited another half and hour before finally realizing that the thing was not working at all. I was sweating like a pig and really fed up. When I tried to phone reception, I discovered that the phone was also broken, so I had to get dressed again and go down to demand a room that wasn't going to bake me alive. So in the middle of the night, I had to be moved again... to the only room that was still available: my original room with the broken toilet!! I spent the next two days flushing with the aid of a plastic rubbish bin. This is not acceptable in a four-star hotel! However, I felt blessed not to be in a boiling hot room, as several others in my group had A/C horror stories of their own. As for the rest of the hotel: breakfast is nothing to write home about although the courtyard garden is quite pleasant. The toiletries were good, although they were incongruous in such shabby surroundings. I know that they have some rooms that are better than others but I don't know what you have to do to get one of those. And why risk getting an awful hell-hole of a room. My advice? Just go somewhere else!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Bury St Edmunds, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at Hotel Columbus in Rome for 5 nights with my girlfriend. The price was reasonable for a hotel in a very good location. Looking out of our window we could see St marks Basilica to the left and castle St Angelo on the right. The room was basic but fine and with a very large, comfy bed!

Hotel staff were extremely helpful with advice on places to go, buses to catch etc. Only negative was that the fridge in our room did not work and despite telling the front desk twice it did not get fixed during our stay. Free wifi and breakfast very good. The hotel is a 10 min walk from ottiviano metro stop on Line A and also a 10 min walk to a shuttle bus that goes directly to the Airport. The bus stop is just around the corner that will take you to central Rome (Colloseum Area etc) but it is walkable if you fancy a long stroll.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Columbus Hotel is an incredible old palace which is now a hotel. The rooms were sufficient but nothing extraordinary. They were clean and well kept. The restaurant is very good. What makes this an exceptional stay is the fact that the hotel was once a Palace and is a beautiful building, and the proximity to the Vatican City. The price was very reasonable all things considered. The staff were very professional and accommodating.

Room Tip: They all seemed to be about the same.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Columbus Hotel during our recent stay in Rome back in May.
What a delight it was! The hotel is in the Palazzo Della Rovere dating back to the 15th century. The features and room sizes were kept from that time and modern amenities have been added. It does feel like being back in history. The room we stayed in was huge with high ceilings, ceramic tiles on the floor, part of original mural paintings: full of character. The bathroom had all the amenities you would be looking for.

The staff was very helpful - giving us advice and tips pretty much every day and spoke excellent English (and excellent French as well for some of them).

We had breakfast at the hotel - it is served in one of their big reception room and as a buffet. Wide choice but limited with fruit and cheeses. The staff also seemed a bit overwhelmed when a large group was coming but other than that were very helpful and pleasant.

The location was excellent on the main avenue leading to the Vatican - easy walk across the river to the city centre, 10 minutes walk to the trastevere area to enjoy an evening out, and a beautiful view on St Peter each time we were walking back to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. Ideal location as St. Peter's basilica and the Vatican are two minutes away. Most of the front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast ladies are just amazing. The entire place looks rustic and beautiful like an old convent. If you appreciate shabby chic and minimal decors, this place is it. If you like walking, places like Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are about 15 to 20 min walk. Really ideal if you like spending the night walking around Rome to and from the hotel. Taxi to Rome Termini is only about €10-12. Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends