“Friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #633 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We arrived on August 15 in Rome and checked in in the Colombus Hotel. First of all, it's very centrally located, 200m distance of the Vatican. We were received in a very friendly way. The receptionist was very friendly and showed us the places we could visit. The rooms were spacious, authentic but a bit old. At breakfast, we were a bit disappointed by the lack of variation which we usually find in Spanish hotels. The building is magnificent and the view in our room was brilliant. We could see the top of the St Peters Church. Very good hotel if you want go quickly to the most interesting places in Rome. Also a good price. I would surely recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Tim M

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel in July 2014. We booked it primarily because of its proximity to Saint Peter's Square. Its location cannot be beaten. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are quirky, as is so common with many old hotels across Europe. It was sweltering in Rome when we were there and the AC struggled to keep the rooms cool, but we were not uncomfortable overall. I would challenge anyone to find a hotel that is better value anywhere near this location. We would definitely return. If you have a chance to go to the bar / restaurant in the courtyard of the hotel, it is a fun break at the end of the day.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Esther B, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Hotel Columbus, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosingour hotel during your visit to the Eternal City.
We read with pleasure that it was satisfied with your stay and our staff.
Looking forward to welcoming you with a special "Welcome Back" cordially

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spitting distance from St Peter’s Square, the Columbus is a graceful matriarch of a hotel, I’m sure it’s history would be really interesting. Friendly staff and a bit of a hike to get to our room (massive hotel), comfy bed, fantastic restaurant in the courtyard downstairs (the crème brulee is best I’ve ever had). Staff organised airport transfer for us.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anitamorgan13
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This could be a wonderful hotel. I emphasize the word "could". At the moment, however, it is far from perfect. I stayed here in July and truly thought I had been catapulted into one of Dante's levels of inferno. The first impression is good: the hotel is in a very old Palazzo and the lobby is classically understated and stylish, plus the staff very welcoming and friendly. However, as you move upstairs to the rooms, you notice how drab the surroundings are. As it used to be a convent it is not surprising that there is stark and austere air to the corridors and bedrooms but that is not an excuse for the state of the rooms. The room was extremely dark and drabby and not at all inviting. The carpets are so worn and dirty-looking that I did not want to walk barefoot on them, and the bathroom looked like it was put in before World War II. My toilet did not work and it was only when I returned from dinner after midnight that they agreed to change my room after they had been unable to fix it. What followed was truly farcical. After being shown a series of appalling rooms that were each worse than my original one, I finally agreed to a smaller one. It was as hot as an oven, but the concierge assured me that the A/C would cool it down quickly once he turned it on. The consolation for me was that at least this room had a decent bathroom. After unpacking (again) and showering, I realized that the A/C was not working properly. I tried turning it up higher and waited another half and hour before finally realizing that the thing was not working at all. I was sweating like a pig and really fed up. When I tried to phone reception, I discovered that the phone was also broken, so I had to get dressed again and go down to demand a room that wasn't going to bake me alive. So in the middle of the night, I had to be moved again... to the only room that was still available: my original room with the broken toilet!! I spent the next two days flushing with the aid of a plastic rubbish bin. This is not acceptable in a four-star hotel! However, I felt blessed not to be in a boiling hot room, as several others in my group had A/C horror stories of their own. As for the rest of the hotel: breakfast is nothing to write home about although the courtyard garden is quite pleasant. The toiletries were good, although they were incongruous in such shabby surroundings. I know that they have some rooms that are better than others but I don't know what you have to do to get one of those. And why risk getting an awful hell-hole of a room. My advice? Just go somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at Hotel Columbus in Rome for 5 nights with my girlfriend. The price was reasonable for a hotel in a very good location. Looking out of our window we could see St marks Basilica to the left and castle St Angelo on the right. The room was basic but fine and with a very large, comfy bed!

Hotel staff were extremely helpful with advice on places to go, buses to catch etc. Only negative was that the fridge in our room did not work and despite telling the front desk twice it did not get fixed during our stay. Free wifi and breakfast very good. The hotel is a 10 min walk from ottiviano metro stop on Line A and also a 10 min walk to a shuttle bus that goes directly to the Airport. The bus stop is just around the corner that will take you to central Rome (Colloseum Area etc) but it is walkable if you fancy a long stroll.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Columbus Hotel is an incredible old palace which is now a hotel. The rooms were sufficient but nothing extraordinary. They were clean and well kept. The restaurant is very good. What makes this an exceptional stay is the fact that the hotel was once a Palace and is a beautiful building, and the proximity to the Vatican City. The price was very reasonable all things considered. The staff were very professional and accommodating.

Room Tip: They all seemed to be about the same.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed at the Columbus Hotel during our recent stay in Rome back in May.
What a delight it was! The hotel is in the Palazzo Della Rovere dating back to the 15th century. The features and room sizes were kept from that time and modern amenities have been added. It does feel like being back in history. The room we stayed in was huge with high ceilings, ceramic tiles on the floor, part of original mural paintings: full of character. The bathroom had all the amenities you would be looking for.

The staff was very helpful - giving us advice and tips pretty much every day and spoke excellent English (and excellent French as well for some of them).

We had breakfast at the hotel - it is served in one of their big reception room and as a buffet. Wide choice but limited with fruit and cheeses. The staff also seemed a bit overwhelmed when a large group was coming but other than that were very helpful and pleasant.

The location was excellent on the main avenue leading to the Vatican - easy walk across the river to the city centre, 10 minutes walk to the trastevere area to enjoy an evening out, and a beautiful view on St Peter each time we were walking back to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple