“good for rapid coverage of rome”
Review of Hotel Scott House

Hotel Scott House
Ranked #593 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Romania
“good for rapid coverage of rome”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Even close to termini (not very pleasant area of rome) you will not have any issue by choosing this hotel.
Close to metro station, you can reach rapidly Colosseum, Vatican and many other Rome attraction.
Hotel is ok; situated at 4th and 5th floor of a building (apparently very usual for Rome) you have a decent breakfest and decent conditions. I love the satelit tv with hundreds of channel (not necesssary using it as travelling in Rome is very challenging).
With one exception, the staff is very friendly and helpful

Room Tip: at the street there is a bit of noise.
1 Thank Zol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at Scott House for one night on the 23.6.2013 with an early start the next day to catch our flight home. The hotel is very close to the Termini and, although part of a large building containing other hotels, was well sign-posted and easy to locate. The lift is small but we fit two of us with big cases in so it's not really an issue.
We arrived in Rome at 9am and went straight to the hotel, the girl on reception was very friendly and we were able to leave our luggage in a the secure room whilst we did some sight seeing. The room was ready by 2pm, it was modern, clean and air conditioned. There was a flat screen TV with Sky (only found a couple of channels in English). There were plenty of fresh towels and toiletries - there was no bath but this wasn't a problem for us only staying one night.
In the morning we left before breakfast so they prepared us a take-out bag with a lovely croisant, french toast with jams etc and a carton of juice.
For the price this hotel was perfect for what we needed, yes the rooms are not huge and there isn't a bar or proper restaurant but for a short stay it has everything you need. The staff are friendly and helpful and it's a great base for a good night's sleep.

4 Thank Rebecca T
Echuca, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Great spot if you've got an early train. So easy to walk to, even with your luggage. Small sign out front press buzzer to get in then take the lift to 4th floor. Rooms are modern and clean. The street is noisy at night but if you closed the window and turned on the air I'm sure you wouldn't hear it. Breakfast was good, fresh and coffee was great. Staff pleasant. All in all good hotel, not for a week but definite for overnight stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Just had a very good experience at this hotel. Firstly the staff were great and very attentive. The room was newly refurbished, clean and contained everything we needed for our stay. The only negative was that it was not one of the rooms we had viewed on the website. The hotel is in a great location right beside the termini station and is walking distance to all of your main tourist hot spots in Rome. I was very apprehensive about my stay after reading some other Tripadvisor reviews of it but I would definitely recommend it and would stay here again of i was to return to the city.

2 Thank Ljwilson90
NJ
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed in a single room That was so small I couldn't walk past my luggage. Room as clean but bed was hard, NO AIR CONDITIONING but worse was windows that air was blocked by other buildings so hot as hell. Thank goodness it is not the dead of summer and should get a little breeze. Yes it was cheap and last minute and as a travel agent I never put a client in a 3 star in Europe but this is not the 3 star it's advertised as.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank patsea-travel-agent

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Let me start by saying that I've travelled the world and stayed in some excellent hotels and some atrocious ones. This is neither and lands somewhere in the middle. This is my fifth trip to Rome and having stayed out of the city center previously, I wanted something central. The Termini area is the best choice for location, though it isn't the most scenic. This doesn't bother me as I'm not picky and we didn't spend much time in the area anyway. Last time I booked a 2* Termini Hotel, it didn't feel safe at all so I booked the 3* Scott House for £90 per night, thinking it would be better. This steep price soon increased when I had to pay an additional 2 euro per person per night for the city tax. I don't recall ever paying this on my previous visits or in any other European city (and I've been to most), but perhaps this was always included in the price? The reception area was non-existent, literally a desk placed along a narrow corridor meaning you were soon queuing down the stairs if there were any more than two of you. We were given "our" room key only to discover suitcases and clothes all over. It turns out this wasn't our room and the receptionist had given us someone else's key! Thankfully they weren't in at the time and I quickly closed the door, but this made me very apprehensive about leaving our key at the front desk when we were out (which all guests are required to do). Also there is no safety deposit box in the room which I didn't like either. The room was modern and clean looking but very dark and claustrophobic. Our double was two singles pushed together, but I know this is typical on the continent. Bathroom looked nothing like the pictures on the website. It was outdated, small and had a flimsy plastic concertina style door to pull around the shower. The shower itself was TINY - no more than 2 1/2 ft square - you would not fit in it if you were above average size. The nozzle dropped off in my hand but it still worked. The water was hot at least. The hairdryer is useless - take your own. It was a vacuum cleaner nozzle that blew out warm to cold air at a low speed. The worse thing about the room however was the smell. The bathroom (probably shower) emitted a strong sewer/sick like smell that became quiet overpowering. The lift also was very dodgy - it looked like a shark diving cage and rattled and strained if you jumped in it. All of these things don't massively bother me - as I said, I'm not that picky and I can put up with them. But not for £94 per night. I could have had my pick of any Termini hotel with similar features for half the price and if none of the above really bothers you, I recommend you do the same. Only stay here if the price is right.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nannamonkey
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We chose it since it was close to the termini and walkable distance (with our baggage). Easy connections from this place.

The rooms are clean, free wi-fi, friendly english speaking staffing. Free simple breakfast.. enough to start the day. Dont expect much english channels, though cable TV is provided ( i think its charged.. so we didnt try to surf much).

Few set backs... (1) The hotel is difficult to spot.. small tiny board on top of the entrance. There are 2-3 hotels in the same building so its confusing where this one is located. Once you enter the building you will be wondering where the hotel is .. since its on 4th floor. You may have a hard time spotting the elevator ( looks like some old world war 2 stuff). Just 2 people and some bags will fit in the elevator. ( 2) The bathroom is very small.. especially the shower. You need to stand stiff making sure not dont touch the walls while taking shower.

Overall.. you can choose this place for its location.

If you get a street facing rooms, it will be noisy till late night.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple