“Great service and location.”
Review of Hotel King, Rome

Hotel King, Rome
Ranked #737 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 July 2014

When I read some of the reviews here about this hotel, I left for my holiday with some trepidation...the photos suggested that it was going to be an awful stay. When my husband and I got to the King Hotel in Via Sistina, we were pleasantly surprised. The staff is extremely courteous and friendly, the room and the rest of the hotel are squeaky clean. Yes, the decor might be a bit dated, the bathrooms look old, but everything is so well cared-for and clean that we were happy throughout the stay. I didn't see any mold or dilapidated areas. Everybody in the hotel is very helpful and so well-mannered, you feel welcome all the time. I didn't like the breakfast much, but then again I didn't pay much for it. Considering the price you pay for this hotel and its location, it's a great value-for-money hotel. It is only a two minute walk away from a metro station, a four minute walk from the Spanish Steps and Villa Borghese, great restaurants all around. The wi-fi in the room wasn't so good, but who needs to stare into a tablet when you are in Rome? If anybody wants good wi-fi reception, I suggest they go to the first floor, at the bar, and they'll get full reception. Regarding the hotel as a whole, I'll definitely recommend it to my friends and family and would go there again on my next trip to beautiful Rome.

Room Tip: I was in Room 308, close to the fire exit, found it very comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klodin73

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Location and the staff at this hotel were great. Every staff member we encountered was very helpful and very friendly. On the down side as most other posts have stated, this is a very old hotel in great need of restoration and TLC. The rooms (we had two) could have been cleaner, they were what I call surface clean but the bathrooms needed more attention and fixing. We were booked for two nights in two rooms but our flight from the US was cancelled delaying us a day, so we only had one day here. This reservation was booked through Priceline's "express deals" using a $500.00 hotel voucher from the cruise we booked through Priceline, so you don't get to pick the hotel just the star rating and area. Once booked and I saw the hotel I looked them up on trip adviser and was concerned after seeing some pictures and reviews. Most of the reviews were correct...great location, great staff but hotel left a lot to be desired. Air conditioning barely worked, took the edge of the heat off was all, wall paper in one of the rooms coming loose and horrible stains outlining past furniture, but it was clean, just gave you that "unclean" feeling. I guess to sum it up for the one day we were here we managed but if we were here longer or wanted to relax a bit and hang out here we would not have really been comfortable. All the common areas were very hot, the elevator so small and slow but, it did work. So for my out of pocket expense I paid $175.00 for two rooms, for one night, since the first night we lost. Not including our $500.00 voucher. Had I paid that in cash I would have been furious though. The other hotel I reserved through Priceline had a two star rating and was by far 3 times what this 3 star rated hotel was in every way. That being said be cautious using Priceline’s "express deals" cause I don't think they're quite a "deal" in the long run.

Room Tip: if Wifi is important to you ask for an area that work well, ours was spotty
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marty B
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our travel agent booked us in here for location. We were booked for one night and then 3 nights later in our trip. On the single night we had a disgusting room (204). We were unsure if we could return here for another 3 nights but insisted when we booked in the second time that we be given a better room. We were given a much nicer but still tired room on the third floor. Its redeeming feature was a lovely little balcony where we could sit and enjoy our wine and cheese in the evening where the music from JC Superstar was quite pleasant. Wifi was pretty much non existent and breakfast for one with the need for a Gluten free option was non existent. Location was good but I would look elsewhere next time

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pickingascreenname
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is a horrible hotel. Built above a live theatre this means that you can hear every word of whatever production is on while you're staying there. For us it was "Jesus Christ Superstar" so we know all the lyrics off by heart.

The rooms are basic, the air conditioning doesn't work, you get one minute bar of soap per day for two people. The staff are surly and offer no assistance unless you ask a specific question. The breakfast is the worst we had in five weeks of touring. To get from the lobby to our room involved two different lifts and two separate flights of stairs.

The only plus for this hotel is its location but that doesn't offset the minuses.

Don't stay in this hotel. There are better hotels at the same or a little more in cost.

What's bad about this hotel is that their web site is designed to lie to you in almost every way!p

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bill3002
Reviewed 21 June 2014

stayed here for 5 nights while in rome. my husband and i were skeptical at first after seeing all the reviews on tripadvisor but a local recommended it to us so we decided to go ahead and try this hotel. the location of the hotel was perfect.. apx 3 min to spanish steps and abt 8-15 mins to trevi, and pantheon, a block away from the bamberini train stop..the hotel is quite dated but it is very clean and spotless. the service is very good, too. breakfast is fairly basic but that was fine with us. considering that the hotel is right at the heart of rome, was clean and had great service, we definitely loved our stay!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank afcc426
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a very nice hotel, you get what you pay for. The room was spacious enough, with a spacious bathroom. There was an a/c which worked perfectly almost without noice. Most important was that the room was very clean.
They had a nice breakfast in the morning, again nothing special, but enough to get you started in the morning. Service was also good. First room we got on the 5th floor looked really dated and had a double bed which we did not request. After a call to the reception we were immediatly taken to a floor lower, which looked renovated (also long time ago, but newer then the 5th floor) without any problem. We requested extra pillows which were taken to our room immediatly, so the service is very good.
What's best is the location!! 3 minute walk to the Spanish Steps, about 7 minutes walk to the Trevi Fountain and the Metro is 1 minute away from the hotel.
We stayed for 3 nights and had a very nice stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Montyrulezz
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed here from the 18th to the 24th of May and I could not be more happy with my visit.
All the staff were courteous and helpful...perhaps more so when I spoke to them in Italian.
The food was excellent. The rooms cleaner than clean.
Air conditioning worked well and given the heat outside it was a welcome relief on returning from my trips.
Situated just 500 meters from the Spanish steps puts you as central as you could possibly be and a short walk from many major sites of interest.
I would recommend this hotel highly and look forward to my return.

• Stayed: May 2014