“Great Value & Location”
Review of Hotel Oxford

Hotel Oxford
Ranked #352 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I went to Rome for the first time earlier this year and stayed at Hotel Oxford with my mum. We were both really impressed with the hotel from the outset. We booked the hotel because it seemed great value compared to the others in Rome, I didn't have very high expectations due to the price but Hotel Oxford definitely proved to be a good choice. The room wasn't massive but there was plenty of room for 2 of us, we didn't end up spending much time in the room as there was so much to see in Rome. The bar/restaurant at the hotel had a lovely relaxed atmosphere but not much choice in food. I've recommended this hotel to many friends already and if I ever went back to Rome would definitely have Hotel Oxford as my first choice!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank ZoeEmilyA
Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I realised (entirely my fault) that the suites were not part of the 4 Star Hotel that I thought we were staying in the night before we flew.
On the Hotel website they claim the Suites are Just 150 meters away, the Receptionist said 300 but I think 400 is closer to the mark. The distance being far enough away to ensure that most guests will not use the Hotel facilities. In the 7 days we were there the room was only serviced once e.g even though both of us showered twice a day we had to make do with the same towels which did not dry out properly. There was a pong in the room until the A/C went on that we affectionately called the 'aroma of Roma' OK Jokes aren't my thing! The Kitchen had a sink, microwave cooker and hob, one enormous ancient pan and one milk saucepan, frying pan and cutlery....but no kettle or tea/ coffee making facilities.....4 star! The bathroom had a drench shower head and a hand held flexible hose shower, the drench head was impossible to cool the flow of water to an acceptable temperature, it was so hot it would have taken your skin off, we used the flexi hose shower doing a balancing act holding in one hand whilst soaping up with the other...hey we didn't slip. There was a noise which we never actually worked out what It was or where it was coming from but it was our early morning 05.00 call (If you ain't got tickets for the Vatican is a good time to surface). The suite was quite tired looking, the double bed (two singles strapped together is without doubt the most uncomfortable that I have ever slept in that was supposedly 4* accommodation. So did I inform the Hotel of my grievances....um, well..actually no. On the day of checkout I walked with my partner to the Cafe Piave (across the street and one hundred yards left, nice place, good food and a 66cl bottle of Peroni for 6Euro) left her there and walked the best part of 1/2 mile round trip to Hotel Oxford. Went to reception, 2 guys there, said "Buongiorno, I would like to check out of suite", no1 guy says something to number 2 guy who prints off an A4 piece of paper which he hands to me and says "Your Bill" I am then handed a chip and pin reader for my Credit card, insert my pin and hand it back, receive receipt and a grunted 'thank you' as he turned his back on me.
I think, I might be wrong, that the reason that he did not ask me if we had enjoyed our stay or engage in any banter was because he had known for a long time what the comments would be and made it quite clear that he did not want a conversation with me.

My main complaint about this Hotel (the Hotel itself would have been a real nice place to stay) was that I thought that we were staying in a 4* Hotel, not a 1*suite without the facilities. The suite next week is £1325 for 6 nights and yet if you wanted an apartment then why not book one direct, no frills and a damn sight cheaper no doubt.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank WelshieJones
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here for my 25th anniversary . Wife was impressed with the cleanliness of the room (she being a hotel cleaner) staff very friendly 15 mins to Spanish steps then the metro is your links to everywhere

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric M
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Well it's ok I guess, it was cheap compared to most, didn't have massively high expectations. Averagely clean, minuscule rooms. We stayed as a family of 4, I stayed with my parents and younger brother. There is barely any floor space. Didn't give us enough towels most days. We stayed there 6 nights, most people only seemed to stay for 3. I was not a fan of the breakfast. The staff are friendly enough, the whole experience was ok.

Room Tip: We were horribly unprepared when it came to planning activities, don't bother getting a Roma pas...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for almost a week in May, after a month of travelling in other parts. We had stayed at Hotel Oxford once before (11 years ago) and knew why we chose it again. We were right. Hotel Oxford is very well presented, modern, with very comfortable rooms (and very well serviced), a welcoming bar area and breakfast room. Very tasteful and modern decor. We were very well looked after. Nothing was too much trouble. Wonderful and very professional hard-working and cheerful staff. Our holidays are always more than just seeing the sights....we enjoyed very much the conversations when we didn't feel like going out. Great location. Easy walk to just about anywhere. Delightful tree-lined location (some green, not just stone!). If we didn't want to walk, we could catch the bus (very cheap compared to Australia) down into the town, or there is a major taxi rank at the end of the street. Via Veneto just a short stroll down the street, and plenty of high quality reasonably priced establishments to eat at shop at in the nearby area. The Oxford staff were wonderful - courteous, helpful, professional, caring. It helps to make the holiday so much more than just seeing the sights. Close enough to Termini to walk to/from the train. Just near the Villa Borghese and the wonderful gardens for strolling - or even on a segway. Thank you Oxford.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Anthony K
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The rooms at the hotel are all different shapes and sizes. Our room could not have been further away, On the second floor and through several twists and turns of corridors having said that the room was good. The bathroom had a step in the middle of the room and the shower was on the side wall, not above the taps as you would expect,and it was opposite the swinging glass shower panel, strange. The staff were very good, helpful and pleasant all the time. I am surprised to read that some people thought it was easy to walk to the hotel, we found especially in the summer heat and particularly when returning to the hotel (uphill most of the way) it was not easy. We would suggest finding the number of the bus services that pass the hotel before venturing out. If we visit Rome again we might try the sister Hotel Regno which is more central as we wetre quite happy with the running of the Oxford and would expect the same high standard.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first to assess if it suits you, as above they are all shapes and sizes.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James s
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our stay at hotel oxford was indeed fantastic from start to finish!
From the airport it was simple to get the train to termini and walk to the hotel, it's about a 10-15 minute walk but when you are looking around at the wonderful sites that just doesn't notice.
Then when arriving at check in whilst we were handling the documents our bags were already being taken to our room so we did not have to carry them any further because I think it was clear how hot we were from taking them this far.
Our room was clean and simple, which is exactly all you need from a city break hotel. The 1 small issue I did have with our room was there were no spare plug sockets which seems silly but when I take longer to get ready than my boyfriend he wanted to watch TV but couldn't because my straighteners were plugged in!!
Apart from this the room was perfect right down to the minibar which you do not have to be afraid of using because I felt that it offered the most reasonably priced drinks in the whole of Rome!
Then onto our visits to the bar downstairs, we only stopped here twice just for one drink each time but both times we were met with excellent table service and supplied with antipasti food free of charge.
Location wise this hotel is nearest to the spanish steps and trevi fountain however it is also near 2 main stations (termini and babernini) which offer a simple and cheap public transport system (1.50 for 100mins!)
The hotel is in an excellent location for a strip of restaurants including the Hard Rock Cafe, so when you are tired from your day you really do not need to be walking much further for your dinner.
The breakfast in the morning I felt catered for everyone, it was continental however as there are many Americans in Rome you also had plenty of bacon and scrambled egg, and coffee served to you at your table.
Checking out was quick and easy, and as I said earlier there was no shock from using the minibar in the room, just don't forget your city tax!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple