2,488 results
All reviews spanish steps piazza cavour within walking distance vatican city breakfast buffet modern hotel rooftop bar front desk staff tiber river minute walk pastries quiet neighborhood trevi fountain major sites walked everywhere gelato on foot
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for quite a number of nights and must say that my overall experience was underwhelming. I had paid a massive amount of money to stay for 7 nights (€1200) and was originally assured by the receptionist with whom I was in contact, that the price would be static and was going to increase in price as May approached. This was February, and within days the price I paid was now €100 less. One thing you will learn about this hotel should you choose to stay, is that they are money-driven more than loyalty-driven.

Good Points:

1) Very clean rooms, and cleaned at least once a day.
2) Very good free toiletries, e.g. they had 4x 50ml containers of shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser, and body wash, as well as a vanity set, shower cap and sponge.
3) Medium-sized, bright rooms (only Premier rooms/suites)
4) Very large and comfortable bed
5) Lovely continental breakfast, although the sausages (more of an English/Irish-type option) were cold and eggs runny)

Bad points:

1) The problems started once I checked in. Upon entering my room, the bathroom wouldn't open. I had to call in one of the cleaners who was unable to open it. She then called a more senior lady who managed to shove it open by using a coin and sheer force-not an ideal start.

2) Because I was staying in a Premier room, I should have had tea/coffee facilities. However, none were provided. I had to ring reception and it came quite quickly then.

3) The A/C is very difficult to work and you cannot control it. I just turned it off because I could not increase the temperature. It was very cold, particularly at night in the room despite roasting temperatures outside. Turning it off was the better option because it meant that the room returned to a more comfortable temperature.

4) The room service charge is an absolute disgrace. As a fellow lodger has mentioned below this review, €7 is the basic rate. I order a lasagne that was undercooked and cold, and a 'pizza' which had a soggy base, tasteless mozzarella, and raw tomatoes. This horrible meal cost me €29 altogether. Also, the options available were extremely limited and mostly unavailable. TIP: Do not eat at this over-priced hotel-only have breakfast here which is included in the price.

5) The people at reception are very limited in their English, and are not overly nice, just plain and not very helpful, e.g. ordering a taxi means you must find the porter for yourself. The bar workers are extremely ignorant and quite confrontational. However, the breakfast workers are really lovely, and make sure you're comfortable and happy with the food.

6) The hotel is a good 15-20 minute walk from St. Peter's Square. For me, that's a bit too far and next time, I plan on staying in a B&B that is closer to the Vatican.

7) I could hear everything that was happening in rooms next door to mine and also upstairs. Literally, a lady sneezed in the next room and I could hear it. Also, italians staying in the hotel were incredibly loud, running and singing in the hallways.

8) They only had 1 English-speaking channel which was SkyNews International. I rang to reception to a man who typical of the other receptionists, always gave the impression that you were disturbing/annoying him. He said I had the BBC-untrue. He insisted that it was impossible to get cable TV. Despite this, they have hundreds of Italian channels on the TV-not very accommodating for the international tourists staying here.

9) Another example of the incredibly selfish behaviour of this hotel was the fact that they leave a small can of Pringles out on the table for you. At first, you think they're complimentary as there is no price attached, nor is there any indication that you must pay. Just as well I waited for the man with my tea/coffee facilities to arrive as he informed me that the small can of Pringles was €5! The minibar priced a can of coke at €5.

10) Leaving out magazine with smudges on the pages from a previous lodger is not hygienic and quite disgusting.

Overall, I was very disappointed with this hotel. I had trawled through TripAdvisor/Booking.com looking for a proper place to stay for my week in Rome. Just like you, I wanted to be sure that the place where I would spend my time was clean, luxurious, and pleasant. I cannot say that this was the case.

Overall, if you're happy staying in a supposed 4* hotel, which has less than a 3* quality for 4* prices, choose this. Otherwise, please learn from my mistake and don't choose this hotel. There are better options.

Thank you for reading!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EmeraldIsle333
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I spent three nights at Visconti Palace before finishing our honeymoon in Sicily. We knew Rome had the potential to feel chaotic, but this hotel was just right. Far enough from the bulk of the tourists, but easy to walk to many places. Staff members were helpful whenever we wanted a taxi or needed anything else. We stayed in a very nice suite on the seventh floor. The room was spacious and well appointed. We definitely enjoyed having breakfast on our balcony one morning. We only wish the seventh floor bar/terrace had been open later into the evening (closed at 7pm), but that might have been seasonal. All-in-all, a good value, given hotel prices in Rome.

Room Tip: The suite was worth it for a fantastic extra on our honeymoon.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Am currently staying here ... have 1 more day to go.

Good points:-

1) Great staff. Very helpful. They'll take time to explain route maps, help with queries. Customer service is excellent.

2) Location : very good. Walking distance to a lot of places and the bus stop is a 2 - 3 minute walk.

3) Room is good. Clean.

Bad points:-

1) We're in a triple room. The storage in the room is sufficient for a single room. We did ask for a change of room but did not get any response.

2) No tea/coffee facilities in the room. That's normal in a "4 star"?

3) They rip you off with the room service charge. Every decent hotel in the world has maybe a
10% service charge. This hotel has a flat 7 euro service charge for everything ! So if you order a cup of tea for 4 euro, expect to pay 11 euro for it. This is ridiculous ! Increase the room rent if you want to; but have tea/coffee facilities in the room and change this flat service charge concept.

4) Check in - a bit disappointed though I wouldn't rate it badly for this and have still given it 4 stars - we arrived in the hotel around 9.15 am. Official check in is at 2 pm. That was a Sunday and we had a long discussion at the reception about going to St. Peter's Square (we wanted to hear the Pope addressing the public at 12 noon which happens only on Sundays). We were assured that the room was available; cleaning was on and it would take half an hour. That was a relief as we had just travelled from India to Rome on a long flight. Imagine to our surprise, even in 1 hour 15 minutes, the room could not be cleaned and made available, even after the reception requested them to ! Finally, after 11 am, we deposited our luggage at the lobby and went to St. Peter's Square, When we returned at 2, the room was available.

Apart from the rip off on the service charges and lack of basic tea/coffee in the room, I would recommend this hotel !

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

A average 4 stars hotel. The breakfast was diverse (you must try the oranges they are devine). A bit expensive for what it offers, but you are 15 minutes away from the Vatican.
The staff was very polite and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catalin D
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We are just completing the third night of our three night stay at Visconti Palace. The hotel has exceeded our expectations. We are delighted with the location - far enough from the main attractions to be restful, but close enough to walk; impressed with the decor - modern, but not stark; very satisfied with the professional and pleasant staff; comfortable with the compact, but efficient modern room that was impeccably clean and well stocked; ; and pleasantly surprised with the fitness room. We were three couples who started every morning with a pleasant breakfast with good healthy choices. There are no lack of hotels in Rome, but I would highly recommend Visconti Palace to anybody who appreciates a hotel that is a little off the beaten path but in a 4 star league of its own.

Room Tip: request the new renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple