“Nice small hotel”
Review of Hotel Cortina

Hotel Cortina
Ranked #69 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Hotel Cortina is located about 15 mins walk from Termini station. It is close to the metro and the bus stops. 15 min walk to Spanish Steps and about 20 to the Colosseum. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Rooms are small and bathroom is tiny. Breakfast is adequate. Hotel is clean and in a good location. Rome is quite expensive and it cost us 10 euros to get a taxi from Termini - a 3 minute drive! We took the metro and bus around Rome which are much cheaper options. A bus shuttle can be caught from Termini for both airports for 6 euros.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank EKAUS

Reviewed 1 November 2011

All the staff were fantastic and extremely helpful, especially with helping me track and get my luggage which was delayed for a few days. The room I stayed in was very comfortable, a good size for a single room, has a mini-bar and was always clean. Breakfast was as expected; there was a variety of items offered and served fresh daily. The breakfast room is small and so conversation with other guests is very easy which was extra nice for me as a solo traveler. The location was perfect for good transportation or walking, lots of restaurants nearby and anything else you might need is easily accessible including a little kiosk nearby that sells metro passes, Roma Pass, calling cards, etc. I stayed here 9 nights and always choose small hotels when I travel to Europe. All the hotels I've stayed in have been great, but this one is by far the best. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank franb2
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Great hotel that we found in Rome from Trip Advisor.
We were family with 2 teenage children and the family room sleeping 4 that they had was ideal for us. This hotel has a great location just down from the road from Republicca subway station and the open top bus tours that you can get off and on at any stop so it was really convenient. It is also in walking distance of the Colosseum/Pantheon/Trevi Fountain although we only once walked back as a holiday in Rome involves a lot of walking (and queuing if you don't prebook on the internet which is essential for the Colosseum and Vatican).The hotel doesn't look much from the outside but once you get through the outside door and up the stairs, it is very nice and great value for money. Breakfast is buffet style/help yourself and the room was fine - you don't really want to eat in your hotel in Rome as there are so many great restaurants to try. We particularly liked Gusto and also the Pizzeria da Ricci - the latter is just down the road from the hotel in Via Genova (right at the end in the corner - watch you don't miss it) and sells really good pizzas and also draught Peroni in litre glasses ! Should also mention that the owner of the hotel was extremely helpful and spoke English perfectly - the Colosseum was closed due to flooding on the day that we had tickets but he phoned and sorted it out so that we were able to go back and use our tickets the next day when it had reopened. We had a great time in Rome which is a superb place to go for a long weekend as there is so much to see - and this hotel is the place to stay if you don't want to spend a fortune but want to stay somewhere central.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SPGEdinburgh
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Just recently got back from a trip to Europe. Spent a few days in Rome, at the Cortina Hotel. Excellent location, nice staff, and clean rooms. Walking distance to the Fontana Di Trevi, as long as other historical attractions Rome’s historical center. Very pleased with the overall service of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2011

This is a small, basic hotel which somehow manages to be much more. This is primarily because of the excellent staff and the superb location. The staff could not seem to do enough for you. They were very giving with their time, whether you needed directions, reservations, or even a cup of espresso or tea. I could not ask for better service. The location is very central. We stayed there twice, on either end of our tour around Italy. Don't be discouraged by the entrance. It is very low-key to say the least. Once you get up to the 1st floor (that would be the 2nd floor for us North Americans) it is all very pleasant.

As others have stated you can walk to most of the major attractions. The Vatican might be a bit of a long walk. It would take about 30 minutes, which doesn't seem like much but you have to keep in mind the heat and the crowds. One place that people don't seem to mention is Villa Borghese. It is a very large public park which is very beautiful. Rome is so busy and crowded it is nice to spend a couple of hours in a park. It also contains the Borghese Gallery. This is a superb small art gallery which, for my money, is the best one I saw in Italy (and that includes the Sistine Gallery and the Uffizi). Buy your tickets days in advance or you will not get in. They can be reserved online and paid for at the gallery.

The rooms are a little small but it entirely acceptable because everything is spotlessly clean. Even the breakfast is better than some reviewers have mentioned. It is fairly basic but they do have a decent variety. There are cereals, breads, croissants, cheese, sliced meats, apples, yogurts, juices and excellent espresso, cappuccino, regular coffee and teas. No one is going hungry.

All in all it is an excellent budget choice, keeping in mind that hotels are very expensive in Rome. I would recommend it to my friends and I would stay there again myself.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My boyfriend and I began and ended our trip to Italy in Rome. We stayed at Cortina both times. I also stayed here two years ago with my daughter. Hotel Cortina is a great value for your stay in Rome. The hotel has 14 rooms, plus 2 gorgeous apartments around the corner from the hotel. Rooms are nicely decorated and very clean. Angleo and his staff are extremely warm, helpful and accommodating. They are great with recommendations and giving you a heads up where not to go. Breakfast is included each morning and they make the best cappuccino. Cortina has a great location. If you don't want to walk, you can easily jump on the Metro or a bus. Hotel Cortina will be our choice on our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheryl p
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My partner & I stayed here for the last 3 nights just gone & can't speak highly enough of Hotel Cortina. It's great value for money noting the central location. The staff were helpful & made us feel very welcome. I found the room & hotel itself to be very clean & our linen seemed to be changed each day. The breakfast is a simple but fresh with mostly pastries & cereals. Even though the hotel is on a busy street our room was one of the quietest I have ever stayed in. We also loved that we could walk easily to all the main sites (although we caught a bus from across the road to the Vatican).

Hotel Cortina is not a 5 star hotel, but for the price & location it's certainly a great find. It had a lovely boutique feel & spanned the floor of a lovely old building. I would
highly recommend this hotel to all my friends & will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6- it was very quiet & dark so we had great nights sleep.