“Beautiful hotel, very rude staff.”
Review of Hotel Turner

Hotel Turner
Ranked #709 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, very rude staff.”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I stayed at the turner hotel with my boyfriend Monday 3rd – Friday 7th September 2012; our room we stayed in was beautiful, very clean and comfortable. The maids were very nice and always made our room up lovely.
The hotel reception staffs were very rude and didn’t help us at all! Told us the wrong bus to get back to the hotel, so had to get a taxi back which was expensive. They were always more interested in looking at their computer screens or answering the phone in a middle of a conversation.
The bus service outside the hotel was very good took you to a great location where it was a 10 minute walk to the Colosseum - the best number bus to get back to the hotel is number 60.
When we arrived at the hotel we were ignored at first, then when finally spoken to they took our passports and paperwork gave us our key and then told where our room was then off we went. The reception staff never told us what time breakfast was or what time we had to check out of the room also no information in the rooms about this. Bus boys were available as we saw a couple but was never offered them by the reception staff but when the bus boys saw us though they offered straight away to help us and were very polite and helpful so couldn’t fault them.
There was no lift (or wasn’t told there was one) on the ground level to first floor so had to carry our luggage up a flight of stairs – was offered no help. On the first floor there was a lift to go to the fourth floor where our room was. When checking out of the room, again very rude and didn’t ask any question about our stay, just asked if we used the mini bar and then told us about the extra payment of city tax which again we was not aware of or explained about.
Overall our holiday was very nice; Rome itself was beautiful and would love to go back. Hotel Turner is a beautiful hotel and we thought it was in a good location, but defiantly need to look at getting better reception staff that will be willing to help and more polite.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
larne
Reviewed 5 September 2012

The staff were generally quite helpful and the location of the hotel was great . However the breakfast was very average and did not include a cooked option unless you were prepared to pay extra --this was a new experience for us . Our first night we were put into a room where the air conditioning didnt work -although the porter got us a plug in air con it made little difference to our comfort levels . We were moved to a much better room from the second day bit I felt I had to push this issue --one of the staff actaully admitted there had been a problem with our first room air con --so they knew that but still put us in that room on the first night

we were also hit with a Tourism tax of 3 euro per person per night (with 4 of us that was another 48 Euro) --maybe thats the norm in Rome but it still came as a surprise

4 star seems a little bit of a stretch of the imagination --the decor is fancy in the foyer but I wouldnt describe the standard as 4 star

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 1 week and it was the worst hotel I have booked in. The decor and ambience as you enter is all you get for your money. On arrival we waited over 20 minutes before the reception bloke who was on duty booked us into room 222 on the 2nd floor. The room smelt very old and stuffy, the floor was dirty. We complained and they moved us to the fifth floor which was a smaller room with uncomfortable bathroom. Our towels were not changed, i have to ask every day for clean towels, the room was not clean properly. The air condition was not in good working order and the room was hot. The cup to rinse mouth was not replace and you have to ask for everything. Lastly, the breakfast was just bread and jam with prunes and mixed cocktail fruits and soft square cheese. no meat or cheese slices and the head chef was miserable never smiled. This is the worse hotel so far in my experience of 4 stars and will never go use this type of hotel ever again.

Room Tip: don't take any room on the left hand side of the hotel using the old lift, it is disgusting.
4 Thank middy c

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

The hotel was lovely on the eye, but we arrived to shocking service, we found the staff really quite rude, we were looked up and down whilst the guy on reception carried on chatting over his shoulder, picked up the phone, shouted something to another member of staff then greeted us with a nod. We werent told where breakfast was, what time, where we were on the map, and our passports were put away and when we asked when we can get them back we got a grunted "later" .The room was fine, shower was passed its best, all the fittings were loose and a bit knackered, but for the price it was fine. The breakfast was abysmal so we avoided it after the first day, but all in all, it was the reception staff that really let this hotel down in our experience. They didn't seem to know what they were doing, bills and receipts were scattered all over the place, the lady we dealt with after the unhelpful greeting was miserable and really rude, but the barman on the terrace was a diamond. My girlfriend and I were backpacking and Rome was our last destination so we wanted to end somewhere nicer where we could relax and enjoy, but this wasn't what I expected. Disappointing.

3 Thank Matt E
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This is probably one of the worst hotel I've stayed in. And I've stayed in some pretty bad ones. I start to wonder
How they are rated as a 4 star hotel. First they mess up with my reservation, I was given a single room when I asked for a double. Then when they gave me a new room the next day, I was given one where the air co doesn't work and rumbles the whole night. I was also told tht my luggage will be move to my new room, and when I got back late at night, I have to move it myself. The shower in the new room doesn't work and they refuse to give us another room. Even the breakfast was bad. Definitely not up to a 4 star standard. Tou will have to pay extra for Bacon and eggs. Conclusion, never again.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Vclow
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This wasn't a bad hotel and the staff were fairly helpful but its just not what you expect from a four star - let alone what they describe as a superior four star. For a start our double bed was simply two singles pushed together and they kept drifting away from each other. Then there was the air conditioning, as we'd just been to a hotel without any and it was summer we thought we'd at least have decent air con here, but despite setting it on five degrees it simply didn't do its job and I spent my stay in my pants as it was still too hot. When you hold your face up to the duct and can't be sure if the things on or not I would say thats fairly rubbish. And lastly the breakfast, the first couple of days there were eggs and bacon (both mixed up together - so sorry vegetarians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims etc) and other goodies which disappeared after a couple of days and were charged extra for - the reason? It had just become August. When a hotel does things like that its a bit of a danger. On the plus side its fairly quiet, Nomentana is good area to be in as its close to town but not very touristy and there are plenty of eating options near by, which you may want to do for breakfast as this is the only place in Italy I've ever had a bad cup of coffee!

Room Tip: Get a late rooms style cheap room and it'll appear like you got a bargin, pay full price and you...
1 Thank Jon M
Rugby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed 5th to 8th August. Room was huge (534), nicely decorated and clean. Jacuzzi in bathroom was maybe past it's best, but no real criticism. Breakfast was OK, but egg and bacon was extra (which we didn't bother with), and would would liked real coffee rather than from Nescafe machine. Roof bar was pleasant, but no views. Staff were great - couldn't fault them. Internet was OK.
This hotel was great value, and I would recommend, though I think there are rooms which are not so good as ours. Access to city on foot, bus or metro all very easy.

Room Tip: Rooms at front of hotel are better than those at rear.