“Traditional Roman Appartment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Dolce Vita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
La Dolce Vita
Ranked #684 of 1,067 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Liverpool, UK
“Traditional Roman Appartment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2006

I have just returned from spending a long weekend in Rome staying at the Dolce Vita Apartment.

The Apartment is clean and furnished in what I imagine to be a traditional way. Although due to unforeseen circumstances we arrived a day late this was not a problem. We paid the agreed price at the agreed time and Lucca then advised they had installed a telephone we could use at no cost to make calls to any landline European number.

It was a very homely apartment in an architecturally stunning part of the city. I would recommend this apartment for people visiting in the future although I would say due to the stairs it is probably not suitable for people with small children or mobility problems.

• Stayed February 2006
4 Thank EMSLiverpool_UK

Solo
Business
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2005

When in Milano on a low budget, this B&B is ideal if your destination is the fashion area (old Fair ground). It's in a little villa, built at the beginning of 1900, 3 flats, surrounded by a beautiful garden, elegantly furnished like a typical prominent Lombardy house. On the last floor, there are 3 bedrooms with personal bathroom, TV and air conditioning. Unfortunately, bathrooms have showers, not bathtubs, but they are very confortable. A dog and two cats are living with the nice and friendly lady owner. Breakfast is good in the Italian manner, although it could be made even better by adding some fragrant milanese bread. Busses to the centre and undrgraound are not far away. Dolcevite is not a typing mistake: it means Sweet Grape and derives from a grape plant growing in the garden. To book, call +39 3473773044.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2005

I rented this place in June of 05, was suppose to have stayed here 9 nights, I had picked one apartment of their several to choose from. We picked the one with the best location and at least looked good in the pictures. My hint that something was wrong was when they changed my reservation 1 month prior, due to "renovations". From my observation these rooms/apt are merely a group of people that collectively rent out their apartments. This is nothing like a true B&B there’s no one on site in charge or to help you out. I don't know were they would even cook the breakfast I guess in your room and you'd probably have to wait for them to show up, plus you'd have to pay 15 euros(20+) per person for what ever they whip up in a small apartment kitchen. I was suppose to stay in the loft, got the top apartment instead. When you first arrive it's not a bad neighborhood seams quiet but out of all the dozens and dozens of buildings this one stands out like an eye soar. The furnishings in this apartment looked like they were from a cheesee 50's Italian movie. The walls were utterly discounting. The floors were dirty along with the rest of the apartment. On top of all that there seamed to be a bed in every space available even a hallway. If you like to stay in a rat trap and have low, very low standards, have I got the place for you. Personally I got out and spend the extra jack on a real hotel nearby with real service. The only plus this place has it's location but even that can't overcome the down sides.

• Stayed June 2005
25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, manager at La Dolce Vita, responded to this review, 16 December 2005
Buongiorno,
this is Luca D'Ottavio, manager of La Dolce Vita Flats & Apts in Roma; I am writing concerning this review made of course by an unhappy customer ; I do of course agree to the freedom of expressing their own feelings and idea : I am just puzzled about the anger expressed by this customer and the number of false statements made by him ; the same apartment has been rated and 'snapshooted' by another guest, whose review is on this same page ; he is tranquilly sitting on a confortable couch close to a fireplace , and it seems like there is plenty of space , and the furniture is not as 'cheesy' as stated ; many other positive reviews are on this page as well : I understand the unhappyness, and I agree with the freedom of choosing not to stay in a place ; on the other hand, that should not go further then reality, and shouldn't affect the willing of other potential guest to come and enjoy our estabilishments ; we have been happily welcoming Guests since 1999, and being listed on many professional travel websites, we should have not lasted on the market as long if we would have not matched more then positive criteria.. Looking forward for this reply of mine to get posted as well, with all of my best regards..
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2005

Our family, including our 2 teenagers, stayed at the La Dolce Vita in May. I was concerned after reading a couple of negative reviews that posted after we had booked our flat. I had no reason to worry.
Yes, the furniture is a bit outdated and it was not white glove clean but it felt as if we were experiencing the "real Rome." The street is as quaint as can be, complete with a mom and pop produce stand one door down from the apt. There is some early AM neighborhood noise-but there is also the sound of the local church choir practicing and church bells chiming out the hour. My 19 year old son and 16 year old daughter have said they would rather stay there then at a fancy hotel.
Get your water at the aforementioned store for .50 Euro and start your day.
As to payment... On the day of our arrival we were asked when it would be most convenient for us to pay. Mario (the innkeeper) arrived as promised-no problems.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank rnmontclair
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2004

My wife and I stayed here a couple of years ago for 2 nights. It was right in the middle of everything, walking distance to all the sites.

Somewhat small, but you can't beat the location.

We're going back to Italy in the spring with our kids (7 & 10) and hope to stay here again.

6 Thank M_from_Atlanta
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2004

I would not stay here again. The Top and Loft apartments are not run as a Bed & Breakfast at all, but as a short term sublet. When we arrived the owner of the apartment (Leonardo) informed us that there might be a small problem with the hot water, as there was a leak in one of the pipes. He showed me where the hot water heater was located and how I could open a valve to control the water pressure if it got low. He then informed me that he wanted the full payment in cash as we checked in, because he was leaving town. I told him I was not happy with this arrangement and asked to use my credit card, but he refused. As it was already 6 PM, I agreed to go to a cash machine and get him the money. He then asked me to be in the apartment to wait for a plumber to come and fix the pipes between 2 and 4 PM the next day. I told him this was not convenient and he made arrangements to have the plumber come in to the apartment alone. Then I was informed that there was no breakfast or cleaning service, but the sheets would be changed on the last night of our stay.
The apartment was nice enough, but not especially clean (the dish towel was quite dirty). However, when we awoke in the morning we found that there was no heat. I went to check on the hot water heater to see if the pressure had fallen, and I discovered that the heat was turned off! Fortunately, the temperature that night was only down to about 10 degrees.
As there was a strike at the airport, the landlord could not leave town. He called and I told him that we had no heat. He came back to wait for the plumber himself. As there was cold weather in the forecast (down to 5 degrees), my wife and I decided to leave and we went to a hotel that morning. I asked for a refund because of the lack of heat and he agreed to give us only half of our money back.
I don't think that this was appropriate treatment from a B & B, especially when they are renting to a family with a small child. Our first night in Rome was not very nice, and the added expense of having to pay for half of a five night stay in an apartment without heat made it rather expensive.

• Stayed November 2003
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
28 Thank Steve W
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2004

I and another person stayed at La Dolce Vita's apartment suite at Trevi for five nights in November. The apartment is nicely furnished, clean and well maintained with 3 bedrooms (2 double beds and 1 single bed), 2 bathrooms, a living room (with a sofa bed), a kitchen, and a TV with local channels only. You can sleep up to 6 people comfortably. Since we were only 2 people, we were given access to one double bedroom and the single room, so that each one had his/her own bedroom, and to one of the bathrooms. The arrangement was so much better than staying at a hotel at a similar price range and getting just a small, claustrophobia-inducing, room with an equally small bathroom. This is definitely the way to go, especially if you are a larger group. You'll end up paying less and getting ALOT more than if you stay at a hotel. And the location can't be beat at only a one minute walk to the Trevi Fountain, a five minute walk to the Barberini Metro stop, and lots of shops, restaurants and cafes/bar right outside your door. Luca and Mario will take care of you and you'll be able to enjoy Rome and all the sights without having to deal with unexpected surprises at your place of lodging.

• Stayed November 2004