“Last Night Treat”

Neighbourhood: Ghetto
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Last Night Treat”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

having stumbled upon this while walking the pedestrianised streets, we booked in for an evening meal. the staff were attentive and knowledgeable, happy to help and advise. The menu was just right - enough choice without being so extensive that you think it must all be frozen.
Nice wine and cheeses - a speciality.

After the meal, we made some choices off the deli counter - meats & cheese to take home.

• Visited November 2012

Walnut Creek, California
“Wonderful cheese and a lovely dinner”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We came on Beppe's while walking through the Ghetto yesterday afternoon. We were very kindly greeted by Pietro, who gave us several samples of cheese from their very extensive selection and was eager to explain them and help us make a selection. We ultimately bought enough cheese for dinner and, with the addition of some very excellent, freshly baked bread from the bakery (Antico Forno del Ghetto; don't miss it) just down the street, had a very nice meal at home last night.

After spending the afternoon and early evening in the forum area and the Palatine hill today, we decided to return to Beppe's for dinner. This turned out to be a very good choice; dinner was absolutely wonderful, and great fun.

When we walked into Beppe's we once again saw Pietro, who came over to the table and thanked us for returning. We spoke for a minute about yesterday's purchases; he even remembered what we'd bought.

Jonathan was our waiter. His English was a bit limited, but he was eager to tell us about the menu and effective in doing so. He encouraged us to get one of the cheese plates, and we ended up getting both a 5-cheese plate and a burrata salad. The 5-cheese plate was very nice; I've only recently started to try cheeses that aren't readily available in the neighborhood supermarket, but I really enjoyed three of the cheeses (and my wife happily shared the three and had the lion's share of the other two). If you are not very sophisticated about cheese, Beppe's is probably a good place to gain some knowledge. The burrata salad was also very nice, if a little less unusual; it must have included more than a half pound of cheese.

We shared an entree of veal with tonnato (i.e., tuna) sauce. Never having had that dish before, I expected a veal chop or cutlet with the same tonnato sauce I had on pasta a few days ago. To my surprise (and ultimately, my delight), the dish turned out to be six thin slices of medium rare veal, served cold, and a mayonnaise-based tuna sauce. We've eaten very well in our eight nights in Rome, but this veal dish was as good as any entree I've had over that time.

We finished our meal by splitting a good chocolate mousse.

Everything about this meal was a delight. Jonathan and Pietro provided very friendly and professional service. We give Beppe our highest recommendation.

• Visited September 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Cheese, Glorious Cheese!”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The first time we went to Beppe's, we just wanted to get something to drink. It was around 10:30 and we asked if they were still open. They said, "Yes" and sat us immediately. We ordered a bottle of wine and they served us some very good bread sticks. They warned us that the kitchen was closing so after 20 minutes when we inquired about getting some cheese to go with our wine and bread sticks, we accepted the fact that all food service, including the cheese, had stopped for the night. After all, we had been given ample warning. We were, however, not pleased when Beppe himself suddenly turned off the lights and told us the place was closed now. We hadn't even finished drinking our wine. We ended up having to chug it down. I understand you have a certain closing hour, but if that is the case, you do not seat a group of people at 10:30pm and if you do you let them know that they only have enough time for a glass of wine instead of a bottle. Otherwise, you sit and wait for your customers to finish.

Normally, I would have never returned to a place that treats its customers like this. But as we were walking out, I was salivating at their array of cheese so much that I knew I would give them another shot. It's not easy to find such an array of gourmet cheese in Rome. I knew I would have to return just to taste them.

I'm glad we did. We returned a few weeks later, at an earlier hour. We went with some friends and got the French and Italian cheese platter. Beppe's Italian cheeses are made by Beppe himself. They were very good but the French cheeses were incredible and surpassed the Italian ones by far. The French cheeses were creamier, richer and more flavorful so I preferred them and my mouth is now watering just thinking about them.

We had some great wine that the waitress recommended and found that Beppe was in a much better mood as well. We met his wife this time and she was delightful. Beppe is from Torino so you'll find Northern Italian influences on the menu. His wife is French so there is a nice variety of French cheese, wine and foie gras.

I'm so glad we returned and returned and returned because it is always delicious. The wait staff has always been courteous. Perhaps Beppe had been in a bad mood that one time. He's been nothing but kind ever since.

• Visited April 2013
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

Lovely place, good atmosphere, delicious cheeses and salumi. Friendly and attentive service. A real find! Very high quality produce of Italian and French provenance, many of the cheeses are made by the Beppe family. Good value for the quality, and helpful suggestions for matching wines. A haven away from the often irrascible service in other restaurants in central Rome!

Salt Lake City, Utah
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I went here as part of a food tour of Rome, and was delighted. They had an wide variety of high quality cheese, everything from the finest aged pecorino Romano to wonderful soft cheeses. All of the cheese was unpasteurized, and a significant portion was from Piedmont in the north west of Italy. I didn't get to see the regular restaurant menu, so I can't speak to that, but the cheese tasting we did was great. The staff brought us a platter of 12 different cheeses, and were able to recommend a good bottle of red wine to go with it. If you are from the U.S., you need to try some of the soft cheeses. In the U.S. all cheese that is aged less than 60 days (any soft cheese) has to be pasteurized, which kills the flavor.

• Visited June 2013