“Piemonte in Roma”

Beppe e I Suoi Formaggi
Ranked #1,747 of 12,134 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, European, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Ghetto
Rome, Italy
“Piemonte in Roma”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The cheese from Beppe's is fantastic, with a vast selection of cheese made by the owners. From the cheese with tartufo or the one sealed in ash each selection tasted was suburb. As a chef from NYC currently living in Rome, this is my go to cheese shop in the city. He also offers an excellent selection of wines that have little to no mark ups. Also, the presentation of the cheese when plated for sit down service was clean and elegant, a nice departure from many other shops in the city. I return again and again for both the cheese and service!!

• Visited October 2013

England, United Kingdom
“Over rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I popped in for an early evening glass of wine and some cheese. The place was nearly empty but the staff ignored us for quite some time. I eventually asked if it was ok to sit down and could we order. The waiter showed us to a table with barely a glance and no smile. We ordered our drinks and a selection of cheeses and bread. After an age they appeared. The wine was nice and the cheeses varied from delicious to fairly bland. The bill came and we had been overcharged, after pointing this out to the waiter he seemed annoyed that we had spotted this, I wonder how many times this happens. The bill was subsequently amended, needless to say we did not tip.

Not really the delightful 'aperitivo' experience we were looking for.

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank db9wishes
Moscow, Russia
“Traditionally here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

For the second time we started our visit to Rome from the aperitif-wine here – it’s our good tradition!
This place is perfect for it, also it’s perfect for lunch! Paradise for cheese-lovers!
The main point, that all goods here are from their own farm in Piedmont – all is natural and very tasty!
There is wide choice of cheese, sausages, oil, olives and others.
You can taste everything!
And there is a very comfortable to seat and order something with a bottle of good northern-italian wine.
Ciao, Filippo, Grazie mille!!!
We appreciate the owner Philippo so much!

Visited September 2013
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Last Night Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

having stumbled upon this while walking the pedestrianised streets, we booked in for an evening meal. the staff were attentive and knowledgeable, happy to help and advise. The menu was just right - enough choice without being so extensive that you think it must all be frozen.
Nice wine and cheeses - a speciality.

After the meal, we made some choices off the deli counter - meats & cheese to take home.

• Visited November 2012
Walnut Creek, California
“Wonderful cheese and a lovely dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

We came on Beppe's while walking through the Ghetto yesterday afternoon. We were very kindly greeted by Pietro, who gave us several samples of cheese from their very extensive selection and was eager to explain them and help us make a selection. We ultimately bought enough cheese for dinner and, with the addition of some very excellent, freshly baked bread from the bakery (Antico Forno del Ghetto; don't miss it) just down the street, had a very nice meal at home last night.

After spending the afternoon and early evening in the forum area and the Palatine hill today, we decided to return to Beppe's for dinner. This turned out to be a very good choice; dinner was absolutely wonderful, and great fun.

When we walked into Beppe's we once again saw Pietro, who came over to the table and thanked us for returning. We spoke for a minute about yesterday's purchases; he even remembered what we'd bought.

Jonathan was our waiter. His English was a bit limited, but he was eager to tell us about the menu and effective in doing so. He encouraged us to get one of the cheese plates, and we ended up getting both a 5-cheese plate and a burrata salad. The 5-cheese plate was very nice; I've only recently started to try cheeses that aren't readily available in the neighborhood supermarket, but I really enjoyed three of the cheeses (and my wife happily shared the three and had the lion's share of the other two). If you are not very sophisticated about cheese, Beppe's is probably a good place to gain some knowledge. The burrata salad was also very nice, if a little less unusual; it must have included more than a half pound of cheese.

We shared an entree of veal with tonnato (i.e., tuna) sauce. Never having had that dish before, I expected a veal chop or cutlet with the same tonnato sauce I had on pasta a few days ago. To my surprise (and ultimately, my delight), the dish turned out to be six thin slices of medium rare veal, served cold, and a mayonnaise-based tuna sauce. We've eaten very well in our eight nights in Rome, but this veal dish was as good as any entree I've had over that time.

We finished our meal by splitting a good chocolate mousse.

Everything about this meal was a delight. Jonathan and Pietro provided very friendly and professional service. We give Beppe our highest recommendation.

• Visited September 2013