“50/50”

Ranked #19 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
calgary
“50/50”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

This hotel is “BOUTIQUE HOTEL”, with lavish decorated small rooms. Roof top was amazing, as any green space is almost nonexistent in Roma . Perfection at night when warm. But for this traveler it was in too busy an area, over loaded with tourists. Thankfully the Hotel is sound proofed very well!!!!
Not the cleanness area of Roma, but dose have a good market right next to and a artist market just another plaza over. My real disappointment came with the " fabulous breakfast" advertised.........Through out Italy we had over the top breakfasts........so Campo de' Fiori was a huge let down. They DO NOT have a restaurant/bar inside the hotel. Everything is brought in and not to the standards we had everywhere else we traveled/stayed. For the most part bland ! But no bar, means you can buy your own alcohol near by and take to the roof top anytime..........to enjoy.
But the breakfast service was good, and the coffee service will not disappoint! Hotel rooms were very clean, quite and the staff was amazing. But for me the huge bill was not worth the stay! Remember how much time you will spend in the room.............it's Roma

Room Tip: treat for couples. foodies will be disappointed........ take your wallet in a very busy area...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Dear Guest,

Your opening lines, “This hotel is Boutique Hotel”, with lavish decorated small rooms. Roof top was amazing. Perfection at night when warm. Thankfully the Hotel is sound proofed very well!!!! Etc.etc.
These words communicate an excellence in the services and offerings of the hotel. I don’t understand actually why you debit to the hotel things that are outside of the hotel and the hotel has no control over and of which you selected. Such as, too busy an area, over loaded with tourists. I would like to remind you that first of all you selected the World Famous area of Campo de’ Fiori (the centre of the Eternal City). Second “over loaded with tourists”. You selected to come to the World Famous Rome, one of the cities listed as most desired to visit by tourists!! I do understand that you come from a city of Canada which has only about 1,000,000 people while Rome has a population of about 4,500,000 plus millions of tourists which visit. This may have created for you a problem but then maybe you should have visited the country side instead of the famous Capital of Italy, a city that has 2764 years of human history. You speak about the non cleanliness of the area but then you mention there is a market. If there is a market of course during the market it is a working area and this may bring a bit less cleanliness for a few hours but then all that have been to Campo de’ Fiori know that it is immediately cleaned up and returns to a social area filled with bars, caffe’s restaurants etc. A real delight for all, tourists and Italians! This is called Folklore! You speak about, “the artist market, just another plaza over”. This is “Piazza Navona” It is built on the site of the Stadium of Domitian, built in 1st century AD. An Ancient Roman Stadium! Considered one of the most beautiful and harmonious plazas in the World! Listed as A World Humanity Treasure! and for you just another plaza over.
You speak about no restaurant/bar inside the hotel. When you reserved we never indicated that there was. I would like to remind you that the hotel is located in a building built in the 1400’s so this means history not commercial where you are pushed to buy hotel products! We believe in hosting, accommodating and not profit! A human aspect often forgotten today. Our breakfast is abundant, rich and covers all aspects from salts to sweets meaning, eggs, sausage, salami, cheeses, ham, fresh cornetti, pies, biscuits, yogurts, cereals, fresh bread various types of juices etc. You may select, various types of coffees, (Italian, American), various types of teas, cappuccino etc. What more could one desire for breakfast?!

We offer, history, culture, location, elegance, accommodations, a view of the city from the terrace which is considered unbeatable by our guests and non at the same rates as other hotels which do not have all of these aspects united as we do so I believe that if one says, “how much time will you spend in the room?” For you all of this is not important. Then one should select a hostel to save and sleep.
I have found your review very ambiguous but thank you for the compliments.

Warm regards,
The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 October 2011

My wife and I recently stayed in this hotel on our honeymoon in one of their top floor rooms with a private balcony. The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect for the tourist visiting Rome located equidistant from the Vatican, the Colosseum, Augustus Caesars Tomb and routes to the airport (FCO). We were able to walk to all sites within 20 minutes. As well, the piazza Campo de Fiori, located just outside the hotel was entertaining and offered satisfying dining choices at all hours of the day. I must compliment the hotel staff on being especially responsive and providing for a pleasurable experience. I would highly recommend staying in this hotel when on vacation in Rome.

However, I would add to my review that I found the room that we chose to stay in, the top floor room with Private Balcony, to be less than worth the value that was paid. The room is quite small as observed by other reviewers and the balcony, although providing a view of the Vatican, is not worthwhile considering the beauty of the rooftop deck that is available to you. As well, being so closely located to the rooftop deck, there is noise at all hours from people going in and out, which made our stay in this room less than perfect. One other note was that sometimes, even on vacation, you may wish to just stay in and watch TV in your room; the lack of English language TV available to those of us that do not speak Italian made this not possible. There are only two English language channels offered at this hotel; CNN and BBC. They do offer movies on demand but charge a rather steep 8 euros for the privilege.

The hotel is absolutely recommended, taking on the extra expense for the top floor room.... not so much.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Dear Guest,
We are very pleased that you selected us for your honeymoon stay. You selected a top floor room with private balcony. These rooms as all other rooms are all located in a structure that was built during the 1400's, in the centre of the Eternal cuty and as you state, "The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect". I believe that oner can already begin to understand that being in a historical building, it is obvious that the rooms are adapted to the ancient building measurements. If one is looking for big rooms then one needs to move abit on the outskirts
of the city where modern buiildings are built but then there is no centrality to the location. The private balcony is needed when one desires to remain alone in a romantic or just silent situation and absorb the unforgettable roof tops of the city of Rome. If one desires to be in company then one may move directly to the 3 level roof top terrace which all of our guests are invited to see.
Our staff's objective is to see that each and every guest's necessities are fulfilled being all individuals and an individual hospitality is offered|!
Our guests tend to go site seeing during there stay rather than stay in the rooms being in Rome on a limited time bases. We offer CNN and BBC for international speaking guests. Of course if a guests wgishes to see something special we also offer Pay TV. As an old Roman saying, "Veni, Vidi, Vici" and it means, "I came, I saw, I conquered" and in our case, meaning all the culture I was able to absorb!

Warm Regards,
Canada
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed in one of Campo de' Fiori's self-contained apartments for a week while exploring Rome. The location was fantastic to explore many of Rome's famous sites. It was a short taxi ride away or for the adventurous like us, we walked to many. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. They helped set up guided tours on our behalf before we even reached Rome, this was very handy. The apt was spacious, very clean (daily cleaning and towels changed), and sheets changed several times that week. The kitchen was fairly well equipped and we were able to cook several meals. Only downside, the oven didn't work and when we inquired, it was due to safety reasons. It is close to lots of restaurants, grocery stores, self-serve launderia and the river which is absolutely wonderful to walk along on either side. The roof top terrace of the hotel was available for our use. Several evenings were spent up there soaking in the nightscape and drinking some great wine and nibbling on cheese! A must do if you stay here. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank 67Teresa
Avon, Ohio
Reviewed 4 October 2011

What gem of a hotel. The staff went out of their way to help us with dinner suggestions, reservations, tour guides etc. Can't say enough about this boutique hotel and its staff. If I say too much it will get booked and I may never get back in. Enough said!

Room Tip: Rooms are small but understand there is one room on the roof with a private balcony that is to die f...
1 Thank Jacqueline D
NY
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Hotel Campo De' Fiori
If you want to stay in a classy, real Roman small hotel in the heart of Antica Roma - then choose no other!
I found this gem of a hotel when I was helping a friend find a place for her stay in May 2011.
Unfortunately, it was booked as they only have 23 rooms .

The roof terrace pulled me in from the opening of the website. In reality it will take your breath away - the views are
spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!! And the prefect place to end a day with a bottle of wine and all Italian delicacies. Or to live
"dolce fa niente" ( the sweet of doing nothing ) any time of day.

But I have to rewind to explain.
Because the hotel was booked, I found a flat for 2 of my friends across the the way from the hotel in Piazza Biscione in May 2011 .
While they were there, ,they needed a cork screw and ran across the hotel to
borrow one, as there was none in the flat. There they befriended Matteo at the hotel's front desk.

Suffice to say, he and the staff at the hotel were life savers for my two friends. And they were invited to the roof terrace
where the panoramic view Roma will take your breath away. My friends told Matteao that I would be coming to Rome in Sept 2011 and that she hoped he would allow me up as well.

I rented a flat myself, ( not connected to this hotel ) just on the other side of the Piazza Campo dei Fiori and so the night I arrived I wanted to see Roma by rooftop so I took myself and a foto of my friends and went to the hotel. I was lucky to find Matteo and Andrea behind the desk, and asked if we could visit the roof top terrace. From the moment we walked in we were warmly welcomed. They showed us around and gave us some history on the building. To see Rome at night from a Roman rooftop, you have to live it to know what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the next day we met Valentina - a sweetheart and one of those gorgeous Italian young women, and several other staff members throughout the week. All just a joy to know.
The entire staff made our stay in Roma that much more the better for all the help they gave us as we passed by every morning to say hello before we started on our way.
And any guest who happened to be checking out while we were there, had nothing but accolades for this gem of a hidden treasure and all the staff who work there.
For myself and the person I traveled with, we were treated just as if we were guests of the hotel or their flats.

Suffice to say, if you plan on a visit to Rome, want to be in a great hotel, with great people, in a great location in the center of town, then book this place as fast as you can and go and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also note, they have flats ( dependencies ) apartments for rent as well, all over the Piazza Campo de Fiori- so ask about that as well .
On a scale of 1-10, this place gets a 50!

I have traveled and this smaller, more intimate hotel, in an ancient building is far better than any large hotel in my opinion.
And as you should, you will feel like you in Roma. Dont's miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tante, tante, mille grazie, Matteo, Valentina, Andrea, Andrea, Gabriele, Adam, Mr. Severino e Barbara!
Un grosso bacione
Mancano tutti voi e Roma pui' de quello che sa
Ro
(RoseAnn Tripodi )

and mi amica from the May visit
Contessa Helaina Ciaramella ( she sends her love )

Gilroy, California
Reviewed 3 October 2011

We recently stayed at the hotel for 4 and then a few weeks later again for 3 nights on our trip to Italy. We loved the location, the rooms were great, the roof deck was a great place to drink wine and socialize with other guests, but most of all, the staff were amazing and wonderful. We really got to know Valentina and also Barbara , Andrea 1 & 2, and Gabriel, but each and everyone at the hotel were helpful, efficient, and so warm and welcoming. We said goodbye to friends when we left. This is a special hotel with special people and it really made our trip to Rome a very special time.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 30 September 2011

we stayed at the hotel 9/19-9/21/ 2011 the staff is superb....especially Valentina...she is a jewel. The hotel is in a great location...we walked to the Trevi fount....the Spanish steps and the Coluseum. There is a wonderful traditional italian market in the piazza behind the hotel...as well as several good restaurants. We stayed in one of the apartments since the hotel was booked. At first they put us in a large apartment, but there were too many stairs for my partner's mother, they recognized this right away & moved us to a different location with fewer stairs. The staff is superb. Valentina booked train travel for us...suggested we leave some baggage at the hotel when we went to Florence for 2 nights...booked a Vatican tour. She helped us in numerous ways...and always so pleasant & kind. We talked to other guests who have stayed there many times over the years. We plan on returning to Rome next year & I see no reason to stay anywhere else. There is also a really nice roof top area for relaxing.

Room Tip: we stayed in an apartment...there is some noise at night since there are several restaurants right o...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear guest,

When we read that guests come from long distances (California, USA) and appreciate our services it is a double satisfaction. Our staff takes pride in being able to undertsand the necessities of our guests even before being asked. They are able to organize private tours, airport pick ups, suggest non touristy restaurants etc. and provide all that is possible to make our guests stay not just a simple vacation as in other hotels but a special unforgettable experience! As you say, “the staff is superb, a jewel”.
Rome has been for thousands of years the centre of the civilized known world and still today the centre of one of the worlds most important religions and tourist attractions and hotel Campo de’ Fiori is located in the centre of this Eternal City enabling our guests not to loose time having to reach first the centre of Rome and then being able to visit all of the major attractions that this fabulous romantic and historical city has to offer. Our guests as they leave the front door of the hotel, have already entered a time machine mingling with the past as well as the present.
I would like to highlight that all the buildings in the area of Campo de’ Fiori have been built between the 1200’s, 1300’s, 1400’s etc and it is therefore normal that there are no elevators since they didn’t exist back then but then one needs to evaluate if it is worth more to stay in a building on the outskirts of the city and need to take a taxi to come and go to the center of the city or if it is to be considered that you are in the Actual historical centre of the City that was the Capital of the world for almost 2,000 years and has hundreds of monuments considered belonging to “The Treasures of World Humanity”! Of course all of the apartments are completely renovated and furnished with LCD TV’s, Air conditioning, Free WiFi etc. I believe it is worth staying in the historical centre because if you sum up the time you use walking up and down the staircase in 3 days it would probably be equal to how much time? 1 minute a day going up and down? So then it is worth staying in the historical centre! It will be a pleasure to host you once again with us in the future.
Best regards,