“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #18 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Cleadon Village
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed 23 February 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a four night stay in this hotel and I can't recommend this hotel warmly enough. It's absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful, atmospheric gem of a hotel in a fantastic location. The staff are wonderful, so helpful and friendly. I read earlier reviews before booking that commented on the noise levels but the only noise I heard throughout our stay were church bells in the morning. It's a particularly charming, romantic hotel that I will definitely be revisiting.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor are definitely worth the extra. I stayed in room 601 and it was perfect.
1 Thank Bronwen H
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 14 March 2013
Dear Guest,
The adjectives that you have selected are truly to the point!
“absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful, atmospheric gem of a hotel in a fantastic location. The staff are wonderful, so helpful and friendly.”,” It's a particularly charming, romantic hotel.”
I remain speechless reading this description. I also found very important that you refer back to previous reviews which you read and thank you for having written the truth about the noise, that it is obvious if you leave the windows open or slightly open you will hear noise. If you keep them closed you will hear nothing having all of our facilities from apartments outside of the hotel to rooms in the hotel sound proof windows!
“the only noise I heard throughout our stay were church bells in the morning.”
I’m sure you visited our beautiful 360° roof top terrace which offers at no extra charge a breath taking view of the Eternal city!
The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I was excited about this hotel - I loved the pictures of lavish decour that were a breath of fresh air from the unimaginative, minimalist look that many hotels go for. The good points were the location - nearly all the major sights were walkable, and the Campo de Fiori square itself is lovely, with a mean bakery in the corner with (Forno). Other major plus points - rooms were very clean and well maintained and bathroom was great, and of course the whole look of the hotel and its rooms was beautiful.

However, having booked a 'deluxe' room I was slightly disappointed. Room 203 was tiny, with a small window that looked out onto a wall. This meant even in the day, with the curtains and windows wide open, it felt dingy and dark and I had to keep all the lights on. When my partner and I left on our last day, we walked past other rooms being cleaned that were far bigger, with windows looking out onto the streets or the piazza. On questioning the hotel staff whether we had been given a standard double by mistake, they assured us that we were in a deluxe....but I am not convinced. The breakfast was also very disappointing - so much so that we skipped it on the last two days of our stay. I am by no means a snob but the food on offer, juices, cereals, cheese, ham, croissants etc all felt like the cheapest versions the hotel could find, which, when you're paying the price of a romantic boutique hotel, you feel a little bit cheated. The hotel staff were also hit and miss. Some lovely, some not so.

Overall, this is not a horror hotel, but when I was hoping for a lovely place for a romantic getaway, instead of a budget place to cut costs, I feel slightly let down.

5 Thank Hazel G
Dear guest,
Having read your review I am also disappointed in what you have written. I believe that at the base of all, there is a misunderstanding. One needs to understand that hotels have different types of rooms of the same category according to the rates and when reserved. Room 203 is a deluxe room. It is one of the smaller deluxe rooms but it is always a deluxe room. I also need to make clear that you requested a double (meaning in Italian Matrimoniale) one Queen size bed. Room 203 is a deluxe room with this type of bed. The rooms which you refer to about having a view on the front part of the hotel are the deluxe rooms with 2 single beds and the reason is that these rooms can also become multiple rooms with 3 beds. I need to remind you that you reserved a double meaning for 2 not 3 people. The décor of the room is exactly as all of our others rooms especially the deluxe room just as the bathrooms are all the same. As you stated,
“I loved the pictures of lavish decour that were a breath of fresh air from the unimaginative, minimalist look that many hotels go for”. “Other major plus points - rooms were very clean and well maintained and bathroom was great”.
Getting back to the size, as I stated the size depends on how one reserved. When you refer to a deluxe room having two windows with a view of the small plaza in front of the hotel, this is true but those deluxe rooms as already stated are multiple rooms with 3 single beds and not a deluxe room with a double bed.
When you asked the staff about the type of room, they did answer correctly that your room is a deluxe room. Maybe they didn’t explain abundantly the reason for the difference because when it is check out time unfortunately the quantity of time which they can spend with each guest is limited. Maybe you should have asked before leaving and you would have received an abundant response clearifying the situation. In any case I believe to have explained the situation clearly.
In reference to the breakfast, I need to contradict your indications because many of our products offered at breakfast are all freshly baked by some of the best bakeries in the area of Campo de’ Fiori. Maybe you’re not use to the Italian bakery.
I would also like to highlight that when you made present your disappointment, the staff at check out even if we were not on the wrong side offered you a very substantial discount without contesting your inaccurate statements therefore I do not understand your slight let down.
Thanking you for your review even if I’m not in agreement with it I do hope to have you as our guests in the future this way understanding the room situation (double bed verses single beds) you will give us a full 5 point evaluation as almost all of our other guests do.
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was beautifully decorated. The rooftop terrace was amazing. Resturaunts galore right outside the hotel. Walking distance from all major city sites. Room rates were very reasonable. We would reccomend this hotel to anyone staying in Rome.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Traveler00313
Dear guest,

Your title and first phrase sums up your whole stay,
“Great hotel”, “We loved our stay.”

Your description of the services, facilities and location are added up in a few words,

“staff was very friendly and helpful, room was beautifully decorated, rooftop terrace was amazing, Resturaunts galore right outside the hotel. Walking distance from all major city sites, Room rates were very reasonable”.
As we say, this plus that plus those give you,

“We would reccomend this hotel to anyone staying in Rome.”
Hoping to see you in the future,
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent a romantic weekend in Rome and chose to stay at this hotel. It was simply perfect. The friendliness of the staff and the furnishings of the hotel coupled with its location make it hard to beat. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Damoh608
Dear guest,
your review reveals the real essence of what a hotel should be today:
“friendliness of the staff, furnishings of the hotel, its location”.
The physical stay which is satisfied with the beautiful furnishings of the hotel accompanied with a romantic atmosphere and with all of its modern commodities such as free WiFi, Flat Led TV, A/C etc. The emotional stay is satisfied by the friendliness and quality of the staff with its’ hosting, knowledge and excellent suggestions regarding tours, restaurants and explaining all of the major sites to see. All is then confirmed with the excellent central location which brings all within a finger tip away and makes it pleasant to walk to all of the most important historical sites of the Eternal City!
Infact, your title tops it all off with,
“The best hotel we have ever stayed in!”
Thank you for your review and do hope to see you soon once again with us in Rome!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

This hotel is great - perfect location to walk to the major sites. We walked to the Vatican, Colosseum, Piazza del Popolo, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Trastavere, National Museum, Baths of Diocletian and many more (all less than a mile from the hotel).

The staff was more than friendly and very helpful. They reserved our visit to the Borghese Gallery, provided large umbrellas on a rainy morning and arranged airport transportation.

The rooms were spacious and very clean with a view of the piazza and updated bathrooms with a rain showerhead. The only downfall was the bed - not particularly comfortable although they did provide extra pillows and blankets.

The breakfast room in the basement was lovely and provided everything you would expect from a European hotel breakfast - a variety of cereals, juices, breads and cheeses.

Wireless internet in the rooms and throughout the hotel was very convenient.

The only reason I did not give this hotel a 5 - the bed situation was not ideal, but we realize we did not book a room at the St. Regis and feel the hotel was a great value. We would absolutely stay here again.

5 Thank jsgrammer
Dear Guest,
you begin with indicating the location of the hotel which is in a unique position and of which 99% of the other hotels in Rome cannot vant! You also list some of the major historical sites located nearby the hotel and of which are of major world importanze all belonging to the “UNESCO World Heritage” list such as, Colosseum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon and the list goes on.
Our staff always offering the max attention to all of our guests and see to it that the stay with us is not just a hello and goodbye situation but that a normal stay turns into a lifetime unforgettable experience. From reserving museums, private tours, private cars and to the smallest but always important such as offering free umbrellas on a rainy day. May seem nothing but when one travels things that may seem small become important and we see to it that all is perfect.
Our rooms are furnished with beautiful furnishings and are equipped with all modern comforts and with WiFi which covers the whole hotel premises from the breakfast lounge to the rooms to the top floor terrace with it’s amazing view of Rome. Our beds are loved by the major part of our guests. Of course there is who likes it soft and who likes it hard but then we do offer extra pillows and blankets and all becomes perfect.
Our breakfast lounge dates back to the 1200’s and is also beautifully furnished with hundreds of books which are available for our guests to be read. One may also hear our beautiful classical music which accompanies a fabulous buffet breakfast which is able to accommodate all types of tastes from slats to sugars. From cheeses to fresh cuts. Cereals, fresh cornetti, various types of juices and the list goes on and on.
I don’t agree so much on not giving us a vote of 5 because you do mention the Hotel St. Regis but I would like to highlight that for the last 3 years we are within the top 10 of Tripadvisor while they are at number 57! Maybe we have more specific qualities which they do not offer and therefore deserved a 5 and not a 4 but thank you for your review.
We also do hope to have you back with us soon to be able to qualify for a 5 from you as well!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed in one of the hotel's apartments. Very centrally located and if your kids are older staying in one of the apartments is a great option for a family accomodations.

While the noise didn't bother us in the least -- the location is a bit noisy as it if off of a very busy square with restaurants/bars, etc.

We plan to stay here again when we next get to Rome.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Taylorfam5
Dear guest,
We always suggest to our guests that if travelling with family or with more people to stay in our apartments because our apartments are also furnished with all major comforts such as, free WiFi, A/C daily cleaning etc.
For our guests that wish to have a view as you had of the famous Plaza called Campo de’ Fiori we can satisfy this desire while for those that wish not to have a view but tranquility we have apartments not located on the plaza but on small streets where one hears nothing aside from the fact that all of our apartments have sound proof windows.
Our apartments as well as the hotel accommodations are all centrally located in the Capo de’ Fiori area and enable you to walk to all sites within a 20 minute walk.
We are pleased to read that you would like to return and stay with us on your next stay in Rome. A return guests is worth 10 for us!
The manager
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 February 2013

We were at Hotel Campo de Fiori over an extended weekend and really enjoyed the experience: nice location, quiet room and precious, beautiful decoration perfect to every detail. Bathroom installations are modern and well maintained. There is a roof terasse with a fantastic view, where guests can bring their own bottle and picknick - unfortunately the weather was still on the chilly side and we could not enjoy it. The staff is very helpful and can arrange visits and transportation as needed. Breakfast is quite good for italian standards and served in a nice underground "library". The only point of attention is room pricing - it's definitively not transparent. some rooms are only bookable for 7 days, and during weekends they are cheaper - but queries for different time periods will give back unpredictable prices, at least from the client's perspective. We booked a double deluxe room through their Internet site, which was about 60 EUR more expensive than the double classic room. Arriving there, we were given what is clearly identifiable through their homepage pictures as a double classic room, and could not win the argument that we had in fact booked a deluxe room - we were told all were the same. The hotel should take more care not to upset the clients with these tricks.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 304, a double classic with small balcony in the inner court. Very quiet, a bit on...
1 Thank Everson N
“A Jewel”
A title which indicates, class, beauty, cleanliness. Adjectives which describe a jewel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us highlighting,
“location, quiet room and precious, beautiful decoration perfect to every detail. Bathroom installations are modern and well maintained. There is a roof terasse with a fantastic”.
Our staff is always appreciated for its qualities as well as for its’ sympathy. Our breakfast lounge in itself is a historical site seeing its’ ceiling vaults dating back to the 1200’s!
Regarding your room reservation, you indicate that you received room 304 but you also indicate that it is a standard room and not a deluxe room. Unfortunately I need to disagree because the standard rooms end with the number 3 and the rooms ending with the number, 1,2,4 are all deluxe rooms. There may be some confusion regarding the rooms being all furnished with the same architecture and some with the same colours but I can guarantee you that if you received room 304 it was a deluxe room. Here is attached a copy of the indication of room 304 on our hotel computer room distribution-you can see that it does indicate room, 304-dlx- meaning 304 deluxe room.
Thanking you for your review,