“Great way to feel like a local in bustling Rome”

and 1 more site!
Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori
Ranked #18 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Our week-long stay in an apartment was great. The apartment was on the second floor, above a delicatezza and overlooking Campo de Fiori where the bustling daytime market and carnival-like night time atmosphere means you felt immersed in the area almost immediately.

And what a great base to explore from - walk to the Vatican, stroll across the river to the fabulous foodie heaven that is Trastevere, duck across the main road to Piazza Navone and embark on a late night stroll to the Pantheon and Trevi fountain, or just wander through the maze of ancient side streets with there numerous hole-in-the-wall bars and restaurants, shops and cafes.

The apartment was rustic, yes, but full of character and had blessedly cool air-conditioning (it was around 35-40 degrees each day of our stay). We tended to take a nap in the heat of the afternoon and stay out later at night to see the sights in the cooler evenings and enjoy Roman hospitality. The two bedrooms were large and the bathroom very adequate (although the shower drain seems to be blocked as the recess would fill with water while showering). A small kitchen and dining room would make it easy to enjoy provisions from the market during the day. The only thing that was a little inconvenient was having the only TV in the main bedroom. When travelling with friends, this seems a bit unfair to the people staying in the other bedroom.

Hotel staff were helpful - carried our bags to and from the room, great daily cleaning service, and happy to make taxi and restaurant bookings for us. We did check out the rooftop terrace of the hotel, but preferred our pre-dinner drinks in the bustling square so we could soak up the local atmosphere.

Overall, it was a great stay and I have already raved about this hotel and our apartment (I think it was M2 ?) to everyone who has asked for recommendations in Rome. I would definitely stay here again and again and again :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear guest,
It is pleasing to read another positive review referring to our apartments which all have all modern comforts from A/C to Free WiFi to daily cleaning by our chambermaids and much more. I do need to highlight that coming from Australia and having written already 5 hotel reviews is important for us. One thing I would like to say that having read so many nice things about the apartment and area written in your review I do not understand a 4 point appointment instead of a 5 point but I would like to thank you for having taken time to write a positive review. I would also like to say that it would be a pleasure to have you with us again and again and again!

There are newer reviews for Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori

Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you want to be right in the action in Rome this is your hotel. But it comes at the expense of a high price with small rooms. The staff was accommodating and the beds were comfortable. The breakfast served in the basement is not worth your time in a area of great food. I liked everything but the bill.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for having taken time out to write a review. Your highlights will be kept in consideration but I do need to say that you were in the trendiest area of Rome, the real Ancient Area of Rome, all the major sites are within a 20 minute walk so no time or money spent with needing to walk long distances or pay high taxi rates to get around. Staying in a Boutique Hotel which is located in a historical building dating back to the 1400’s. A highly rated hotel by its’ guests. A university level staff which explains all historical monuments, where to visit, how to skip long lines. Is able to suggest non touristy restaurants at reasonable rates, is able to speak all major languages. A roof top terrace which has no comparison in Rome. Well I need to say that although our rates are low in comparison to other hotels in Rome I believe that everyone would prefer to pay less and be paid more. I do suggest to our readers to take a look at our website where one can see photos, indications, locations, special rates this way all are able to evaluate the situation for them and take advantage of what we do offer.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

Valentina was just outstanding .. And the boys well say no more .. They all where amazingly outstanding in the service and friendliness ... Highly recommend this place ... We have not one thing to fault ... They booked everything we needed recommended a beautiful restaurant as it was my birthday and then a little local place to have lunch that wasn't full of tourist ,what a lovely experience ... We will return again ... Loved it , Garcia tutti

Maria e Angelo

Room Tip: Our room was perfect (rm 104) the best ...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear Guest,
A Birthday wish which was fulfilled!
“BreathTaking”, “What can we say other than we could not have asked for a better place to start our long awaited holiday to Italy...”
It’s these types of reviews that give us the most positive feelings and that confirm that our philosophy of work is in the correct direction. Our staff, a highly professional and yet down to earth composition adds to the beautiful newly renovated facilities and fabulous location. We are truly happy to see that you were given the possibility to live a stay with us that will remain with you for the rest of your life. A lifetime experience which is not easy to realize always.
We will be awaiting for you and maybe this time for another Birthday!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

A very nice location near Campo dei Fiori that seems to cater to English-speaking tourists. Exuberantly decorated in a style that may not be to everyone's taste. Our room was very small with no view. I'm not a fan of black bathrooms but it was ultra-modern with a good hair dryer, nice towels, and enough space to put things on the bathroom sink. The mattress sagged in the middle and the only full-length mirror was in the hall outside but it was fine for a short visit. The bedroom décor was very baroque, with elaborate gilded lamps, "antique" furniture, and a canopy over the bed. Breakfast was in the vaulted basement lined with old bookcases. The staff was very nice and helpful. For people into views, it would be worth staying here just to hang out on the roof, which has 360-degree views of Rome, including the dome of St. Peter's, the Vittorio Emanuele monument, many church domes, and a peek onto the Campo dei Fiori. It is on a cobblestone street in a pedestrian zone, with a lot of tourist foot traffic and the most-heard language is English.

Dear Guest,
The area known as, Campo de’ Fiori, is today considered the most trendy area of Rome. Regarding the English speaking in the area as well as in the hotel, our personnel speaks many languages among these there is also English. It may have been heard more being that most guests that travel use English as the International language and therefore it is the major language heard I believe in all major cities when traveling. The hotel décor is elegant and yet offers all major comforts. Regarding to the Baroque décor as you state may not like all but then not all like modern furnishings as well so I do believe that this is all opinion and has nothing to do with referring to the hotel. I do want to indicate that all of our guests have a possibility to take a look at our rooms and hotel as well as apartments opening our website which is completely elaborated with photos, descriptions, special offers etc. and maybe this should have been done by you as well. Just to remind all that when staying with us, you are not just staying in a hotel but in a historical building dating back to the 1400’s and therefore when staying with us you are living a piece of history!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed in the separate apartments offered by hotel and had a wonderful time in Rome. Great service, central location and staff happy to carry luggage as there is no lift to apartments. Hotel had rooftop terrace and they allowed you to BYO drinks whilst supplying glasses. This was a great way to enjoy pre dinner drinks and soak up a beautiful view of Rome. The desk staff went out of their way to help as well as recommending great eating places. Molto bene!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Guest,
reading your words is another confirmation of our services and facilities. You confirm as almost all of our guests do that we do deserve top ratings as we receive daily and therefore I would like to thank you for having taken time out to write your review. You even appreciated what for some is nothing but for most is good quality service such as,
“they allowed you to BYO drinks whilst supplying glasses”

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and I visited Hotel Campo De' Fiori while on our honeymoon in the beginning of September. We arrived early, as we had to drop off our rental car just outside of Rome before 10. We were able to put our bags into storage (literally just a closet off of the main lobby...something we were a bit leery about that turned out OK) and go out sightseeing until our apartment was ready. The staff was very accommodating, and got us into our hotel room early - something we were truly grateful for since we had to wake up very early to drive from our hotel outside of Florence to Rome and were exhausted! There was an issue with our first apartment, so they had to move us into a different one. Although it was not easy to lug our bags across the stairs and up three flights of steps, we were so appreciative of the staff's flexibility. They did not question us at all when we requested being moved - they simply did what they had to to make our stay more enjoyable. The manager also only charged us the rate for the first, smaller apartment - something we are very appreciative of.

The apartment we ended up staying in was very spacious and did not lack any creature comforts. We had tons of pillows and blankets -which we definitely needed due to their fantastic AC systems! The apartments do overlook Campo De' Fiori, so it is very loud during the day and at night. We did not mind the noise, as we were in Rome and did not plan on sleeping much anyway! However, I could see how maybe an older couple would not like this as much. It is definitely worth it if you are willing to put up with the noise, though! During the day, you can pick up items at the market and at night it is transformed almost to a carnival-like feel. I would not have wanted to stay anywhere else in Rome. The windows did block out a great deal of the noise, but they are not soundproof by any means. The hotel is very centrally located - we were able to see everything we wanted to just by walking, and it was a cinch to get a cab if we wanted to go further. There is something to be said about being about to walk out of your hotel, around the corner, and stumble into the Pantheon!

My only true complaint is regarding the laundry service. We had asked the staff at the front desk more than once how much he thought it would cost, to which he responded around 30 euro. When we got the bill at check out for 150 euro, we were so surprised and extremely disappointed. We paid the bill simply because we had to catch an early flight, but we felt it the cost was grossly misrepresented to us when we dropped off our laundry. We had the same amount of laundry done in Cinque Terre for 30 euro -- not sure why it was so much more expensive this time around (a few euro we could understand...but it was 5 times the price). We wish that was not the last thing we experienced before leaving Hotel Campo Dei Fiori!

Room Tip: The apartments are super affordable and spacious if you can put up with a little noise at night!
3  Thank Nicole H
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Regarding your review, I need to say that although I have taken in consideration your points of view and do thank you for highlighting what you appreciated I do need to say first of all that I do not understand your 3 point total review taking a look at your individual values,
Value 5 - Location 5 - Sleep Quality 4 - Rooms 5 - Cleanliness 5 - Service3. This is an average of over 4,5!
Another situation I need to highlight is on the laundry bill. We do not major laundry bills or phone bills! I have the actual paid bill from the Laundramat where it is indicated all the pieces that you had cleaned and here is the list,
Receipt number:
6 Polo shirts 12,06
6 Bras 6,18
1 Ladies suit 4,85
TOTAL PIECES 68 150,27 EUROS
I find it totally out of place to complain about the laundry considering that you had 68 pieces of clothing cleaned. This means Euro 2,20 approximately per piece!
How could you have had 68 pieces of laundry cleaned in Cinque Terre at a rate of euro 0,44 cents per piece!!! I find this sorry to say “unbelievable.”
If you would like a copy of the receipt just write and we will be more than happy to send you a copy.
In any case I would like to thank you for your review.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in April 2013. I can not recommend it highly enough. The staff we so friendly and helpful. They recommended things to do and places to eat in Rome and generally did everything they could to make our stay special. The rooms are small but very romantic and the roof terrace was wonderful. We often took a bottle of wine up to the terrace before heading out for the night. It's very easy to explore the sights of Rome from the hotel. One tip though, the hotel doesn't have an iron - when I inquired the staff told me it's actually not legal to have irons in Rome because of fire risk so make sure you bring crinkle free clothes for nights out! All in all a wonderful stay. I'd certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: You don't have to go for the most expensive rooms on the top floor to get a great experience. Th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is truly an honor to have discovered that you were with us for such an important event such as your, “HONEYMOON!” What is even more gratifying is to read that we were able to fulfill your expectations. All know that when one is celebrating such an important event the expectations are extremely high and being able to have fulfilled this is truly a beautiful thought for us.
“We stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in April 2013. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff we so friendly and helpful.”
I would like to just thank you for the nice things indicated in your review and I would like to answer with,
“we will be expecting you for your anniversary now!”
I’d like to finish closing with your title and your last phrase,
“Very romantic and comfortable stay”, “I'd certainly recommend this hotel.”