Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori
Ranked #18 of 1,290 Hotels in Rome
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

After reading through the many reviews on hotels in Rome, I kept coming back to Campo di Fiori because of the ratings on this site, and the overall consensus on service and location. It did not disappoint. The staff was amazing. From the minute I made contact with them after reserving my room they were accommodating in every sense of the word. I emailed them requesting a room in the main hotel because I read the reviews and they all were consistent. I am glad I did this. They accommodated my request and gave me a deluxe king room on the first floor. The room was elegant, spacious, high quality linens, pillows, etc. The room was perfect. They arranged a car service for me when I landed at the airport. They arranged the best private tour guide for me, and countless other requests throughout my stay. Adam in particular was extremely helpful, informative, and went out of his way to make my stay perfect. The location of the Hotel Campo di Fiori is the best. It is walking distance to the best attractions in Rome. I walked everywhere from my home-base. The Campo di Fiori square next to the hotel is fun and vibrant with farmers market, great restaurants, bars, high-end wine shops nearby, and the best gelato in Rome right next door (dangerous). The hotel has a wonderful roof-top area with cabanas and sitting areas looking out 360 degrees over Rome. I bought a delicious bottle of the wine nightly from the high-end wine shop near the square (ask the hotel), and took it up to the roof to enjoy. The hotel provides a complementary breakfast buffet each morning with scrambled eggs, assortment of nice cheeses, meats, cereals, breads, pastries, fruit, juices...and my daily dose of real Italtian cappuccino ( don't even drink coffee in the States). The staff in the dining room are super nice. I traveled solo on this part of the trip and this hotel was perfect for me. This boutique hotel has my heart now, and I will stay there each and every time I visit Rome. It's like a Boutique Hotel/Bed & Breakfast but better! One tip: I had to move rooms my last night because the hotel soldout Friday night in advance of my reservation. Do not stay in the "apartment" quarters. They are in need of upgrading badly. The building is next door, it has an odor, and the bedding, mattress, and decor does not compare to the rooms in main hotel. If I were the owner, I would not advertise or associate the hotel with the apartments. Two completely different experiences; however, I did not let it change my rating of the overall experience I had at Hotel Campo di Fiori.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room in the main hotel, preferably on a higher floor. Do not book the "...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul R
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,
Although long, your review has gone into depth regarding the various aspects of your experience. Just in your title you cover all the aspects that our guests have always appreciated and seeked and this for us is truly a vant!
“Location, Charm, Service, and Italian Elegance”
What is missing in your title but covered in your review is and the roof top terrace. This is a real treat for all of our guests. Comparing this to other hotels one must always keep in mind that where others once dined and a short walk at night go back to their hotel room and watch TV, with us this can be done but we also offer a special aspect that others do not have and to have you need to pay a real extra to use it and that is our unbeatable, roof top terrace! It offers to all the possibility to stay and continue site seeing while resting up and if desired having a drink which you may bring with you. As you write, “The hotel has a wonderful roof-top area with cabanas and sitting areas looking out 360 degrees over Rome. I bought a delicious bottle of the wine nightly from the high-end wine shop near the square (ask the hotel), and took it up to the roof to enjoy.”
Regarding our apartments, we suggest these most of the time to groups or families where we offer, size, cleanliness, all modern comforts for a spacious stay and do not highlight the elegance as in the hotel but they are all furnished very well for their needs. The oder, well unfortunately the day you stayed there the garbage company didn’t come by and therefore there was some order but this is truly a rare situation. Next time you stay with us you will notice this. To conclude using your words,

“I traveled solo on this part of the trip and this hotel was perfect for me. This boutique hotel has my heart now, and I will stay there each and every time I visit Rome. It's like a Boutique Hotel/Bed & Breakfast but better!”
The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Rooms are tiny, shower water is not always hot, but in this location and for this price – this is excellent value. Staff were extremely attentive, breakfast was rich, triple room doesn’t leave you place to get up from bed – but we loved it!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Your title describes our feelings, meaning we desire that our guests receive more than what they pay for, “Excellent value!”
As all know that have been with us previously, the rooms are not huge because the hotel is located in an ancient medieval building dating back to the 1400’s! But of course for size you will not receive location in an ancient city like Rome. Our staff as always is attentive and ready to suggest only the best at the best prices. We pride ourselves also on our breakfast since this starts our guests day and is of vital importance for the continuation of the site seeing day.
What I do not understand is your evaluation of excellent value and then apply a 4 point review but this is fine also it’s just that I find it not congruent with the rest. Hope to have you with us in the future so next time you will be able to apply a 5 point review.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We went to Rome for a week, and there was no better place we could have stayed. It was central, comfortable, and the breakfast it offered was incredible. We could walk anywhere and find our way back easily because of the location, and there was food all around the plaza. If I had to go back (and I do!) I would only stay here. It was one of the best hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,
Your 13 reviews listed justify your title about our hotel and give it a major importance referring to the evaluation, “Gorgeous rooms with amazing view and the best location in Rome.”
When one travels to a city not his or hers what are some of the most important things that they should find? First location eliminating any problems of getting lost.
Second rooms which need to be comfortable and yet at the same time with all modern comforts. Third a good and healthy breakfast. Fourth which you did not mention but other guests do is the war, friendly and informed staff.
Summing up with one of your final phrases your appreciation, “It was one of the best hotels I've stayed in.”
And this phrase is truly important having written another 13 reviews.
I do wish that you return and stay with us and as you conclude, “If I had to go back (and I do!) I would only stay here.”
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was a great location. We were able to walk to most of the main sites and the local narrow streets were a delight to wander through. Our upgraded room was 401 on the 4th floor looking out onto a delightful small piazza. The sound proofing and double glazing worked an absolute treat so, although full of guests and right in the heart of the city, our room was a tranquil haven from the hustle and bustle. The room was ideal for a couple in Rome to have fun---it resembled a turn of the century bordello with beautiful satin window drapes, gilded lights and mirrors all around. The ensuite shower room looked opulent too with its black shiny tiles.
The 360 degree views from the 6th floor roof garden are breathtaking and we enjoyed a glass of wine late one evening sitting out there watching the twinkling lights of the city below us. Very romantic.
Breakfast was adequate although the scrambled eggs tasted odd. Our only complaint, which we voiced twice, was that the 'brown book' detailing information useful to guests was missing from our room so we had to keep asking for answers to simple questions such as how to communicate with the reception, how the heating worked etc. An irritating nuisance. No replacement was forthcoming. We were told the hotel was a small family business and couldn't replace it.
The desk staff were helpful and charming as was the breakfast waitress. We hope to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Superquine
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to read that your stay with us was very pleasant And that you enjoyed our location taking advantage of walking in the typical ancient medieval streets, “This was a great location. We were able to walk to most of the main sites and the local narrow streets were a delight to wander through.”

I also read that you received a free upgrade to a deluxe rom from a standard room. This we do often when we have availability this way our guests have a more pleasant stay and enjoy themselves more. What I do contest in your review your description of the room as,

“it resembled a turn of the century bordello with beautiful satin window drapes, gilded lights and mirrors all around.”
I do understand that many do not know of or understand the elegance of a Barocco styling but what is important is that all was appreciated including our spectacularly elegant and clean bathrooms.

“The ensuite shower room looked opulent too with its black shiny tiles.”

Referring to your “brown book”, I don’t know whom you spoke with but the hotel is not a family run situation but a company run hotel. I believe after hearing the reception that the problem was that all of this happened during the weekend and the morning gentleman wasn’t able to duplicate the book on time but as we always say to all of our guests, 1 or 1000 questions to the staff, this only makes us happier meaning that we are able to assist you in a better way. I’m glad that you did notice that the staff was always there to help and never irritated and as you state,

“The desk staff were helpful”

I would like to say also that your closing phrase,

“We hope to return.”

I answer with, I hope we will be able to offer you a free upgrade once again!

Sierra Madre, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I get to write another review for Hotel Campo De-Fiori!!! Why stay any where else? Absolutely the best location. We were able to walk all over Rome from the hotel. Granted, we are not getting lost as much as we used to in Rome so walking is easier. The staff is very helpful...no they are better than that. We feel like we are home when we stay there. The room is perfect for us. In fact, they have more outlet plugs than any other Italian hotel we have stayed in. Of course, now days with all the chargers needed, we bring a multi-plug bar that hooks into a convertor. It has a great bathroom and shower too. Guess what...we will go back next year too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lynndds
Dear guest,

“The Third Time Back...Perfect!”

Before commenting your review I would like to high light some of your statistics! 19 Hotel reviews and this is your 3rd time staying with us! This alone is the greatest compliment a guest can make!

“I get to write another review for Hotel Campo De-Fiori!!!”

What is even more pleasing to read is that having returned for 3 times things either remain the same or even got better! The fact that you feel at home is one of the most important sensations that one needs to feel when traveling. As stated by you,
“We feel like we are home when we stay there.”
Our location is one of the best aspects that our hotel has and this is not something that is not to highlight!

“Why stay any where else? Absolutely the best location. We were able to walk all over Rome from the hotel. Granted, we are not getting lost as much as we used to in Rome so walking is easier.”

I would like to say one thing that this time you didn’t mention and this is our wonderful roof top terrace which offers all of our guests a 360° view of Rome!

To conclude with a phrase that can only make us even more happy,

“Guess what...we will go back next year too.”

Guess what….we can’t wait that you return!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

All the excellent comments you will read below are spot on so I'm not going to take up space repeating them.

Some may feel the rooms are a little small - this is a really old building with great character so this is to be expected. But there is so much to see in Rome why would you spend ages in your hotel room anyway? And they really are not that small. The en suite bathroom had been newly redecorated and was excellent.

Some fabulous local restaurants but avoid the ones in the Campo De' Fiori itself. Dittirambo round the corner, little enoteca in corner of the Piazza Dei Biscione opposite hotel and Osteria Merlone just off the square (just reviewed it for this site.

Do consider their offer of booking taxi for you to do the trip to and from the airport. It's not significantly more expensive than picking up taxi from a rank or booking by phone if you consider their extra charges for weekends, extra bags etc etc.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Your review is an excellent way of explaining what a stay at Hotel Campo de’ Fiori really is. The facts that you come from a major European Capital such as London and have written another 4 hotel reviews has enabled you to understand in depth what it means to stay in a historical building located in a historical area of an Ancient City. This alone should make ones stay unforgettable. Just to highlight some of your indications, “Fabulous roof terrace, superb staff, so well situated we actually managed to walk almost everywhere (apart from the airport)!”, “The en suite bathroom had been newly redecorated and was excellent.”.
What really made me understand that you understood where you stayed was the room clarification, “Some may feel the rooms are a little small - this is a really old building with great character so this is to be expected. But there is so much to see in Rome why would you spend ages in your hotel room anyway? And they really are not that small.”
To conclude with your title which is not less captive, “Deserves all the praise...”
Thank you for such a complete and deep explanation of where you stayed while in Rome.
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Just arrived back from this wonderful hotel and city. It was recommended by friends who stayed very recently. On arrival just walking into the reception area gave us the 'wow' factor. The staff were very professional and friendly. Our room was beautiful, beautifully furnished with a luxury ensuite. The location of this hotel is fantastic. The convenience of having the market and bakers nearby meant we purchased food here for our daily sight seeing trips. We walked miles and loved it. The hotel was near enough to everything and sometimes we returned for a relaxing hour on the terrace with a drink before heading out again. The roof top terrace was a perfect sanctuary in the evenings. You could take your own drinks and relax away from all the hustle and bustle without having to sit in a crowded noisy bar. I hope we can return one day

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dinglydell
Dear guest,

reading your review, I need to say that what caught my eye immediately is the fact that our hotel was suggested by some of your friends. This not only made your stay with us important but also put into the ball game your friends whom suggested our facilities. You do state being totally happy with your selection and your friends suggestion,

“On arrival just walking into the reception area gave us the 'wow' factor. The staff were very professional and friendly. Our room was beautiful, beautifully furnished with a luxury ensuite. The location of this hotel is fantastic.”

This what I can say is total satisfaction on our behalf because your 5 point review in reality turns into 2 “5 point” reviews being suggested by your friends.

You also highlight the daily folkloristic market which is located on the famous and trendy, “Campo de’ Fiori”. I also enjoyed your description of our roof top terrace as you say,

“The roof top terrace was a perfect sanctuary in the evenings”.

What is also pleasing to read is that you immediately caught the fact that we do not have a bar on the roof top terrace but by our choice and no other reasons and you understood immediately why we made this selection,

“You could take your own drinks and relax away from all the hustle and bustle without having to sit in a crowded noisy bar.”

Your review is a real insight into our hotel which not all are able to capture during their stay with us. I do hope to be able to host you in the future and as you say,

“I hope we can return one day”.

Best regards,