“A great base for the wonderful city”

and 1 more site!
Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori
Ranked #19 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
County Cork, Ireland
“A great base for the wonderful city”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Somebody once told me they did not like Rome because all of their hotels had been bad and in bad neighborhoods. They should try this one. LOVELY! Great location, great service, friendly, interesting rooms (small but not tight), spectacular view from roof garden (especially with a bottle of wine), and all in all a perfect base. The market square right around the corner is a fun tour of Italian foods and a bit more 'local'. Hope to return soon. We went first of May and I think the small hotel was pretty booked. So think ahead.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest,
reading your review I do need to bring out that I do not understand a 4 point review and not a 5 point review reading all the positive aspects listed as well as the fact that you would return. Now I can respond to the rest of the review which I found very positive. Your title, “A great base for the wonderful city”
When traveling this is of primary importance to consider your hotel the perfect place to stay. I’d like to also highlight that we are in the centre of Ancient Rome, and safety here is of no problem and one can touch this directly when staying with us, “Somebody once told me they did not like Rome because all of their hotels had been bad and in bad neighborhoods. They should try this one. LOVELY! Great location.”
The adjective utilized by you,
“LOVELY”
This sums up all that can be said in one word!
Size – I suggest to all that are looking for huge rooms to not reserve beautiful “Boutique Hotels” in the centre of this ancient city called Rome because as those that are informed or culturally informed well know, when travelling in Europe especially to major Ancient Cities, the hotels are almost all small in size as well as the rooms being located in historical buildings. I’d also like to say that our rooms are not small but larger than most European Capital city hotels. For big rooms you need to reserve in chain hotels on the outskirts of the city this way you have size but also what I call, waste of time hotels because the time you waste to reach the centre of the city and go back to the hotel usually consumes 2-3 hrs of your limited site seeing time.
It will be a pleasure to have you as our guest in the future.
The Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our first visit to Rome for our 25th anniversary celebration, so we wanted something a bit special. I can honestly say that the hotel exceeded even this, and we would return to Rome and to the hotel Campo De Fiori tomorrow if we had the chance.

The hotel is beautiful inside and out, but the real gem is the rooftop terrace, with excellent views across Rome. The piazza next to the hotel is full of shops to buy food and drink, as well as having an excellent market. We sat in the rooftop terrace every night with a bottle of wine and watched the sun set, perfect!

As for location the hotel is perfect again, with all of the major attractions in Rome within walking distance of the hotel. There are some excellent restaurants within walking distance too, and the piazza is full of places to eat.

The staff are extremely friendly and very helpful, we organised a guided tour of the Vatican through the desk staff, and it was an excellent day out, allowing us to see all of the major parts of the Vatican.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individual and beautifully appointed. We were on the first floor but had no proble...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mvp1newc
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 3 May 2014
Dear Guest,
I would like to begin with your concluding phrase, “All in all, an excellent stay, and when we return to Rome, which we will do, there's only one hotel which I would consider, and it's this one.”
After reading this statement one question comes to my mind, why is it that so many guests write that they will return staying with us when and if returning to Rome?
Well to answer my question one just needs to read your review to understand the reason. Facilities-location-cleanliness-staff-breakfast-rooftop terrace-elegance and the list goes on and on.
Another two things that make your review special, the first one is that you were on your 25th anniversary meaning a special occasion with emphysis on special! The second are the 11 hotel reviews! Both make your stay with us a super exam and yet all was beyond your expectations applying a 5 point review!
“so we wanted something a bit special. I can honestly say that the hotel exceeded even this,”
I’d like to close with your title,
“Fabulous hotel in a perfect location”
With this I’d like to say thank you and it will be our pleasure to host you once again in Rome.
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just returned from a Spring Break vacation to Rome and Florence. As we were planning the trip last Fall, my wife found the Hotel Campo De' Fiori on TripAdvisor. The location appeared to be ideal and the reviews were good. The staff also responded quickly to our questions -- a good sign.

Isn't it great when you fly to a distant city, arrive at a hotel you have never seen, hoping to start your vacation without a problem -- and everything exceeds your expectations? That's how we felt when we entered Hotel Camp De' Fiori. The staff was very friendly, the hotel is beautiful and the location is ideal. Here are some key points:

> Location: The hotel is located just off the Piazza Campo De' Fiori, on a quiet sidestreet. This is important because the piazza fills with a busy market during the day and can be loud at night. The location is also convenient to the key sights in Rome, e.g. the Vatican, Forum etc.

> The Piazza: The small Piazza is a slice of daily life in Rome, filled with a public market during the day and ringed by restaurants and shops that serve local residents. Be sure to stop by one of the "Forno" bakeries and pick up some fresh bread or pastries. In addition to fresh produce in the market, there are shops with good wine, cheese, olives, sausage etc. It makes you feel like you are living in Rome, instead of visiting as a tourist. A tip: avoid sitting down for a drink or early dinner when the market closes around 5 pm. There is a lot of commotion and noise; wait till the street cleaning trucks are finished and the Piazza is clear.

> Apartments: We rented one of the apartments, which are located in a private building off the opposite corner of the Piazza. (An aerial photo is attached, showing the location.) This was perfect for our family, with a nice bedroom for my wife and I, a large living room with two convertible couch / beds for my son and his friend, a full bath and furnished kitchen. The building is hundreds of years old with high beamed ceilings, recently updated. Everything was clean and sharp. Photos are attached.

> Hotel and rooms: The hotel is also located in a building that must be hundreds of years old, recently updated. The interior is charming and artistic -- and everything looked spotless, just like the apartment. Be sure to spend some time on the rooftop deck in the evening, which offers great views of Rome. We brought a bottle of wine and the staff happily provided a corkscrew and glasses.

> Noise: A number of people commented on the noise, and we were a bit concerned before we arrived. The owners apparently installed new triple-pane windows in the hotel and apartments, and they completely block sound from the street -- even on the Easter weekend, when the bars stayed open late on the Piazza. We had zero problems with noise at night.

> Hotel staff: They were great -- very helpful before we arrived and while we were there, including restaurant recommendations, directions, taxis and excellent private tours of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel, Coliseum, Forum and Palatine Hill. (Highly recommended: the staff works with an expert tour service. Our guide explained Michelangelo's design and work on the Sistine Chapel, for example, that made our visit much more interesting. They also help you skip the ticket lines -- which saves a significant amount of time when the Vatican and Coliseum are busy.)

> Restaurants: The desk at Hotel Campo De' Fiori offered great recommendations for real Italian restaurants -- you can trust their choices. One tip if you are tired and do not want to get into another taxi: Mercato Hostaria, located in the corner of the Piazza near Hotel Campo De' Fiori. Great food and service.

> The neighborhood: We had a great time just walking through the local neighborhood and narrow, ancient streets. The Hotel Campo De' Fiori is located in an interesting part of Rome, full of apartments and small shops. You get a real sense for life in Rome, away from the throng of tourists.

> Transportation: Taxis are available in minutes from the hotel desk, and a taxi stand is a couple of blocks away.

In short, I cannot imagine a more pleasant stay in Rome. This is an ideal choice for individual travelers, couples and romance, and families that need a larger apartment.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mark

Room Tip: The new triple-pane windows appear to have solved the noise problem that some visitors previously co...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Mark H
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to highlight your 9 hotel reviews giving you a special opportunity to understand in depth where you have and are staying being an experienced traveler. I would also like to highlight that you have given us a 5 point review and this means a lot to us coming from an experienced traveler as yourself. You have written an analysis review covering all aspects of your stay with us and while in Rome and I would I would like to highlight your second paragraph since it I believe it sums up in reality your experience with us, “Isn't it great when you fly to a distant city, arrive at a hotel you have never seen, hoping to start your vacation without a problem -- and everything exceeds your expectations? That's how we felt when we entered Hotel Camp De' Fiori. The staff was very friendly, the hotel is beautiful and the location is ideal. Here are some key points”.
What more can a guest say when arriving at a hotel that you have never been at before and yet feel already at home from the first moment you arrive.
When reading your review you cover all aspects of a stay and evaluate all giving also answers to questions which other guests have made.
I would like to highlight another aspect, why do so many guests say they will or want TO RETURN TO Hotel Campo de’ Fiori? Well, your review makes one understand why. The perfect vacation with no worries is a stay at Hotel Campo de’ Fiori.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I love Rome, this is a city everyone should go once in a lifetime. I have been three times and 2 of them i stayed here. This hotel is perfect: located in one of the most popular and historic borough of Rome, quiet, comfortable, well served by transport services and surrounded by very nice restaurants.
I will definetly come back here next time I urge the need to see Rome again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steve L
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Guest,
3 times in Rome and twice with us and receiving a 5 point review from you certainly does mean something. As you have indicated and touch with your own hand we love our work that for us is not work but entertainment and this is seen with the way our staff cleans the facilities and our reception staff deals with our guests, as you say, “The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly, accustomed to strangers and always ready to satisfy your needs.”
As we say, this plus that plus those make it all work out! As you state, “I will definetly come back here next time I urge the need to see Rome again.”

After these kind and precise words I would like to suggest to all of our future and non future guests to take a look at our website where you can see exactly what all of our guests refer to. On our website you can see photos, read descriptions, locations private car airport pick ups, private tours and most of all our special offers on the hotel rates and only here these can be found.
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hotel was wonderful in EVERY way.
The room was lovely, clean, and the beds very comfortable. And the location was perfect!! Close to EVERYTHING, including being just steps from the fabulous Campo De'Fiori piazza. (Room was a little small for 3 people, but no big deal because that's of minimal importance since we were only there to sleep!)
I always stay at high-end hotels, and this did not disappoint.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen K
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear guest,
Reading your review I would like to use your last phrase as your title, “I always stay at high-end hotels, and this did not disappoint.”
When guests are use to the top and we read that we are included in the top this is for us a real accomplishment because all have different levels of standards. Your 5 point review for us is another confirmation that our direction is correct and that we are continuously getting better if this is possible. Our staff, which is praised by all of our guests is the cherry on the cake. As you have written, “The staff was top notch: super professional, and just soooo nice!!! They were incredibly responsive and helpful with the dozens of email inquiries I had before I got there (regarding transfers to and from airport, tours, museum reservations, etc.), and they were just as helpful when we got there. They were gracious and just lovely!!!! They all spoke English fluently which was a huge help.”
Your title,
“Wonderful!!”
Well what can I say about this word? It sums up that all is positive and not at 80% or 90% but at 100%! You have included our location, our beds the cleanliness of all etc. What I do want to say even if as you state, “no big deal because that's of minimal importance”
Is the following, and I will never stop to repeat myself and this is why I also suggest to all to read our answers as well as the review this way you won’t write what has a logical explanation. The rooms are not small but within the normal European size and at times even bigger. This is due to the fact that staying with us you are experiencing history meaning that you are staying in a Medieval Building dating back to the 1400’s and this is also visible if you take the staircase from the lobby to the first floor. The exterior wall has been left nude to show the ancient brick and stone work used in the 1400’s to build this historical building and one may also see the ancient Roman marble pieces embedded into the same walls which come from the Historical Theatre of Pompei which is located directly under the hotel as well! This is where Julius Ceasar was assassinated, in the Theatre of Pompei! Summing up, either you stay outside of the ancient city receiving a bigger room in a modernly built hotel and spending hours to get into and leaving the ancient city of Rome or you stay in the middle of all in a historical building and live it up!
Thank you for the “wonderful” review and we do hope to jhave you with us in the future if you ever decide to return to the magical Eternal City known as Rome!
RI
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We chose this hotel based on location and tripadvisor reviews. It is fairly centrally located in old Rome and we were able to walk to pretty much everything we wanted to see, and only used transportation to get to and from the train station. On arrival the staff was pleasant and helpful, and everyone at the desk spoke English. Our first room was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was modern. The window looked out into a small vacant space between several buildings, not very impressive. However, we went to the rooftop deck, and we were VERY impressed. There were fabulous views in every direction.
In that room, however, the wifi did not work, and for some reason, my cell phone only worked if I stood in the corner near the door. We did not know this until late the first night when we finally settled down for the night. When we asked about the wifi the next day, they denied the problem. The following day we said something to another person, who admitted that there was a problem with the modem just on our floor. When we asked about being moved to another room, at first he declined, then conceded. The new room was very small(the first room was just small), but still clean and comfortable.
This hotel does not have air conditioning, but we did not think that it would be a problem in March, but the weather was unusually warm, and the small rooms get very stuffy when closed up and we felt we could not breathe and needed to open the window at night. However, as you are right around the corner from Campo de Fiori, there was a lot of nightlife, and we were kept awake by loud singing until at least 3 am every day. When the windows were closed you could not hear the noise. On the flip side, having Campo de Fiori right there was convenient for dozens of good restaurants. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was as good as any other we had seen up to that point on our trip.

Room Tip: ask if there is a room that does not have a window onto the Campo de Fiori side for less nighttime n...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 2ritravelers
Severino, Manager at Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,
Reading your review although you have given us a 4 point review which for other hotels may be considered great, for us it is good but not what we are used to receiving. I would first like to speak about your second phrase where you refer to our location and I do need to say that your opinion about the location needs to be contested.
“It is fairly centrally located in old Rome”.
For those that have come to Rome and are intentioned on coming to Rome I want to say to all that we are centrally located and better than our location is hard to beat. We are 5 meters away from the most trendy plaza in Rome at this moment which is Piazza Campo de’ Fiori. A 5 minute walk away from the famous Piazza Navona. A 20 minute walk away from the Colosseo, Roman Forum. A 20 minute walk away from the Pantheon. A 30 minute walk away from the Vatican, Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps. Staying with us one doesn’t need taxis, buses or subway. This is confirmed buy all of our guests, that all is within walking distance.
You do state,
“we were able to walk to pretty much everything we wanted to see, and only used transportation to get to and from the train station.”
Regarding about the WiFi, it is not correct to say that the WiFi did not work because you do indicate that your cell phone did work with the WiFi. It was a question of position not that it wasn’t working. The fact that someone at the reception referred that the WiFi was working contrary to what you had indicated, well you do state yourself, that it was working but just a question of position so no one denied anything. Every day one of the reception walks in the corridors with an ipad to verify if the WiFi is working properly and that is why you were told it was working. When one of the reception referred that there was a problem with the modem this is referring to the power not that it wasn’t working but in any case all was resolved.
You stated,
“and for some reason, my cell phone only worked if I stood in the corner near the door”
Asking to move to another room, well this can be done only if we have availability and the fact that our receptionist at first said it cannot be done is normal being full at that moment. But as we always do, we then control better the room situation and then if the movement is possible we do move. One just needs to read the reviews where we have offered free upgrades when available.
Air Conditioning – I need to state unfortunately that what you have indicated is NOT TRUE. The hotel has always had and has Air Conditioning. Evidently you do not know that during the month of March, in Italy and especially in Rome but State Law the heating needs to be kept on for the health of the population and we can only lower the heating but not turn it off. When the Town Hall declares that the heating can be turned off then we proceed with turning on the air conditioning. When traveling one needs to always keep in mind that the local laws rule and not what one has at home.
Noise – I need to also say that one always needs to remember that you are in a major world city, Capital of a country, millions of people living here plus millions that come as tourists. You are in the real historical centre of the Ancient city and Eternal city called Rome. I do need also to say that obviously if one keeps the windows open you will always hear noise even if in the country side one may hear the cows or pigs mooing or oinking. Windows are made to be kept closed also for dust reasons. Our windows are totally sound proof and therefore there is no noise problem with us.
As you state,
“When the windows were closed you could not hear the noise.”
Thanking you for your 4 point review and we do hope to have you with us in the future if you ever decide to return to Rome.
Best regards,
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Me & my wife visited Rome for a romantic 5 days vacation, and after some search we decided to go for the Campo de Fiori hotel. In one word : amazing!!! Such a great location in the heart of the old center, close to all the attentions. The room was small but cosy & very clean. The stuff were so friendly & helpful! Don't hesitate, just go there, it's a gold mine :)

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boaz R
Dear guest, I would like to open with your concluding phrase, “Don't hesitate, just go there, it's a gold mine :)”
When one writes this it only means that all went even better than expected and this for us is a plus. Your stay of 5 days gave you an exceptional possibility to verify exactly what all of our guests indicate and this time span allowed you to evaluate properly and therefore you applied a 5 point review. Yopur one word description, “In one word : amazing!!!”
What else can I say but only to all that are deciding where to come to stay in Rome, I can only say, come stay with us and allow us to make your normal stay in Rome an unforgettable vacation!