“One of those places that ...”
Review of Kolbe Hotel Rome

Kolbe Hotel Rome
Ranked #162 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Belfast, United Kingdom
“One of those places that ...”
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

is ideally located for exploring Palatine Hill & Roman Forum - but just lacks warmth and style.
Travelling on my own, on business, the hotel was satisfactory. The self service breakfast is purely a functional affair and dinner served in the same room doesn't feel much better.
It's worth noting also that room service finishes relatively early in the evening, and it's not worth asking for something quick/easy shortly after the cut off time -which is a shame as there is no tea/coffee facility in the room.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank tourtalk83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here for three nights in December, and as with the majority of reviews on here, found it a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are comfortable and spotless, the service from all the staff I met was excellent and it is central for everything you would want to see in Rome. The furthest point I walked to was the Vatican, and that was only about half an hour, all the other tourist attractions are much closer. I have no negative comments at all about the hotel, and would not hesitate to recommend it.
The price was reasonable. The breakfast was great with choices to suit everyone, including cereals, yoghurt, cold cuts, pastries, bacon, eggs, sausage and toast, all served buffet style. I ate one night in the restaurant and the food was good, and the service excellent. Just a pity that the weather was too cold to eat outside, it would be a wonderful place to eat on a nice warm summer evening.
I would recommend getting a taxi from the airport, so much easier that messing about with trains or coaches. The taxi fare is a standard €48 to anywhere in central Rome.On my return trip to the airport I went in the hotel's Jaguar...so comfortable and only a few euros more than a taxi.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brendan B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location for seeing plenty of Rome – just a road's width and a wall away from the forum. I visited as part of a group of 20+ and the service during our visit was outstanding – sending a variety of coaches and cabs to and from restaurants and the airport without a hitch. The breakfast provided a variety of choices and was above average but not outstanding. Bar staff extremely helpful, not to mention super patient with a large group.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 99avery
Houston, TX
Reviewed 8 December 2013

While this hotel boasts all over its web page and others that it is a luxury hotel, it is NOT. If this is a luxury hotel, then all the newly modeled Holiday Inn's in America are not 5-star PLUS hotels. The pictures on the website and other locations look fresh, modern, extremely clean and visually appealing; however, upon my arrival, what I experienced was lackluster and less than what I expected.

My frustrations with this place started well before I flew the 4500 miles from the US to Europe. I was delayed by a bad weather system hovering over the East Coast. Even though called to cancel the reservation 24 hours before my arrival (US-time) they told me that I would be charged for cancellation because it wasn't 24 hours before in EUROPEAN time zone. That utterly left me pissed. So I had to drive 2 hours away to catch a connecting flight to get me to NYC on time for my outbound flight.

Typically, I take lots of photos of the hotels where I am, but my utter displeasure with this place left me forgetful about taking pictures.

The room itself was a decent size, had a queen sized bed and a twin sized bed, which I thought was odd. If you're traveling with 2 people, it automatically creates a interesting situation about who will sleep where.

Problems during my stay:
1) The TV only had about 12 channels only one of which was English-speaking. It makes even enjoying a post tour relaxing evening at the hotel very annoying.
2) We had to call the front desk for hot water on 2 occasions, because apparently something had gone wrong.
3) We had to involve someone at the front desk to change the air conditioner temps because it only goes 3 degrees up or down from its present settings. HOW ANNOYING!!!
4) WiFi was a little confusing to understand, because apparently no one thought enough to tell 2 people who were checking in they needed SEPARATE Wifi codes. For the first day or so, every time we'd access the net, the other person would get kicked off.
5) There was NO iron or ironing board in the room. Then when we called for one, it was several hours later that we got it. This is an essential item. How is it NOT already in the room Mr. Luxury Hotel??
6) Several electrical outlets in this room did not work. So we were forced to charge phones in the bathroom at night, because we needed more outlets. (Luxury hotel????)
7) Very poor lighting in the room. The lighting was exceptionally bad...so don't bring a book expecting to read under good light. All the lighting seemed to be located on ONE side of the room -- it wasnt balanced at all.There was tape over an electrical outlet -- LUXURY HOTEL?????
8) The AMERICAN breakfast they promote on their website is NOT so American. Perhaps a good trip over the waters will clear up what should be on an American Breakfast buffet. They had NOTHING except croissants, cereal and toast that seemed American. It was a big disappointment, because I'm a picky eater and a lot of the Italian cuisine they had on display was not appealing to me.

The individuals at the front desk did speak English; however, they seemed unaffected and nearly indifferent to high-touch customer service. It was only when we expressed concerns to the management that we finally met someone who seemed to GET what customer service was about. They gave us a discount on our stay, because we were so dissatisfied.

I really apologize for not taking pictures on this trip, this is the FIRST time that's ever happened.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank MusicalTravel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed there my mum and myself for a long weekend.. What a lovely hotel my fav was the Bar and the lovely mauritzio the bar tender , he made the most amazing cocktails ..
The hotel was really clean , rooms comfy .
Defo would return if ever in rome

Room Tip: Near. Collisuim
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel has a great location to walk to Capital Hill, Coliseum, & Forum. For those like me that don't mind walking a and enjoy stopping at all the beautiful locations at every turn in Rome, it is even in a great location to walk all over the West side of Rome in a day.

The room was very comfortable with a beautiful view of the Palatine Hill if you are on the Southeast facing side (odd numbered rooms), I was not on this side but still enjoyed the view of the courtyard (would be even better in the spring/summer time). However, as a foreign traveler I have to use wifi on my smartphone to communicate back to the states. I chose this hotel not only for its location, but the states free wifi in the room.

Another patron and myself were in the hallway every night on our phones as the wifi would not work in the rooms on our phones. It would work on our computers (albeit slowly), but not on our phones. I tried to communicate this to one of the front desk associates and they said it would work in the room as well. They spoke very good English, so I'm not sure if they were ignoring what I was saying or just didn't understand the difference of it working on a computer and not a phone...

Upon my arrival they let me check in 2 hours early, which was very nice. I arrived on a Saturday at noon and told the concierge that I wanted to see the Coliseum, & Forum with a Guide & that I wanted to see the Vatican on Sunday. They said no problem and set me up with a great tour company - Eyes of Rome for that Saturday afternoon on a last minute notice which was great! However, at the end of my tour the wonderful guide - Alessandra told me that the Vatican was closed on Sundays (except the final Sunday of each month, which was not the Sunday I was in the city on) and that I would not be able to tour it due to their soon closure (6pm). It would have been great if the hotel staff would have told me that, allowing me to go to the Vatican that afternoon and doing the guided tour on Sunday.

I booked the hotel for Saturday & Sunday night planning to see sight's and shop past the last train departure on Sunday at 7pm, to my next destination (Pisa). However, because of the Vatican closure on Sundays mishap I had nothing to do on the Sunday. So I requested to cancel my reservation for Sunday night and reschedule it for a later visit so I could see the Vatican. The staff would not allow that even though they could have easily prevented me from being left without anything to do on Sunday. And I also tipped the concierge €20 (which is not necessary in Italy) for being so helpful in setting me up with the tour guide.

So, I would not recommend this hotel if you are looking for helpful hotel staff and quality wifi to communicate internationally. However, if you are a very detailed planner then I'd recommend it for its location to the Center of Rome.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bradjhyde
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel in November. The staff was friendly and helpful, the price was solid and the room was pretty good. We had a room on the first floor with a door to the outside which was nice and the bathroom was very large. It was clean and the location was good.

My only qualm with this hotel is the restaurant. We ate there the night we arrived because we were tired from traveling. The restaurant served us the worst food I ate during my entire trip in Italy. For a 4 star hotel, I expected a lot more. It was a Friday night so I don't think we ate there on an "off" night for the kitchen. It's not only over-priced but borderline inedible.

I'd recommend this hotel as long as guests eat somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple