“A decent guidesheet would help ...”

Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna
Ranked #118 of 1,523 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: This contemporary art gallery features works from the late 19th century to 1945.
Sydney, Australia
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 134 helpful votes
“A decent guidesheet would help ...”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I wanted to love this place. The building is fantastic for a modern art gallery and the first two permanent exhibitions are, in the main, solid. However, the collection is somewhat patchy and the first-half twentieth century collection seems lacking when looking at art from the fascist era. What I found most frustrating though was the lack of information on individual paintings. Some background in 19th and 20th century art did help me, but I would have appreciated more information about Italian art from this time. That said, the foyer area with the broken glass floor is simply breath-taking for the originality. So read these comments with the knowledge that as a lover of all things Italian, I wanted this experience to be up there with the rest of my on-going love affair with Rome and the rest of la belle paese.

Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 414 helpful votes
“Some Important Pieces by Well-Known Artists, But . .”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I wanted to like this museum. I love 19th century Romantic art, Futurist art, and postmodern art, so, in other words, it's not the works that I'm going to grumble about. Rather, it's the lack of interpretation of and basic information about these works that is troubling. If the museum wants to attract tourists (and I assume it does), or merely serve the public well, more literature and descriptions need to be available in English (and other languages). To its credit, the descriptions of each room are in Italian and English, but every placard next to every work is in Italian only. My Italian isn't bad, but when it comes to technical descriptions, I struggle.

I went into the bookstore to purchase a catalog to enrich my experience (even at 30 euros), and it is offered in Italian only. Every other museum in Rome that I've visited (and I've been to many) have catalogs in English and other languages. Granted, there is an "A to Z" guide in English, but it is not a comprehensive catalog of the collections and finding pieces in the book was difficult. In addition, the text is hardly comprehensive.

Although many are giving this museum high marks, I just can't. There are too many other great museums in Rome to waste your time on this one--unless you've seen all the others. Many museums throughout the world have works by the artists featured here and those museums actually care whether their visitors can understand what they're seeing.

To top it off, the staff needs training in good customer service. When I entered the museum I was the only patron at the ticket desk and there were two staff members behind it looking through some papers. The male said "Buongiorno" without looking up. I asked (politely) in Italian for a ticket. He responded (in Italian) "For the gallery?" and I replied in the affirmative. He continued looking through his papers with the female by his side. When they were finished, I got my ticket. The clerk in the bookstore seemed more interested in surfing the web than helping customers (I was the only one in there), and the gallery "guards" were obviously bored. A couple had their heads down on the tables they were sitting behind.

This museum provides a respite from the city's crowded galleries, but at what price?

Visited November 2013
2 Thank jsctraveler
Dresden, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“One of the best in the world.”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This museum is just outstanding.

Great collections, excellent exhibitions, amazing presentation, stunning building. The garden is also beautiful.

See key pieces of Duchamp, Miro, Cezanne, Degras, Kadinsky, Mondrian, van Gogh, Monet and others in a perfect environment.

You can easily spend a full day there, but if you just have a few hours, wandering through is an amazing experience.

The cafe/restaurant is also A+. Do have a drink there as well.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Viktualia03
Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Pleasantly surprised! Will definately visit again - beautiful collections”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We took the tiny bus 116 from Piazza Farnese, hopped off in the Borghese park and took a beautiful and relaxing walk to the museum. And what a museum! The house is just stunning! Well inside we got hooked in just one second. The mirror floor in the first room was just beautiful and hilarious. Up with the camera! When we then strolled through the collections of the museum, we clearly realised that this is a hidden gem. A lot of important work from good artist was at display and we spent many hours exploring. We ate a light lunch in the café and this I can also recommend. Very nice staff with a friendly smile to all of us. This was one of the best days in Rome!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank 1-PinkiPhone-
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful Collection”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

My wife is an artist whose favorite period is from the 1850's to present and this museum is a vast wonderful collection of art from this period. There is a wide array of paintings, sculptures and mixed media. We easily spent 6-7 hours here including a trip to the cafe. The cafe was nice but nothing special. This may not be for everyone but if you enjoy art from this period this museum is essential.

Visited July 2013

Been to Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna? Share your experiences!