“Great location, clean safe rooms and friendly staff.”

Hotel Teatro di Pompeo
Ranked #495 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We are a married couple, m42 & f39 on a bit of an overseas adventure from Australia. Review was written towards the end of the trip so had the opportunity to compare with other accommodation experiences. Over lunch today we discussed our favourite Hotel, and aside from Positano where we splurged this was our favourite hotel of the trip.

This was our first stop of 4 days (3 nights) in a three week Italy experience and it was exactly what we were wanting for Rome. Safe and clean, the staff were friendly / helpful. We used this locations as a base and were able to easily walk to all the main attractions such as the Forum, Colosseum, Vatican and Trastevere region within 30 minutes or less.

Good, hearty, typical Italian hotel breakfast was included.

It was not top of the range accommodation, but had everything that we wanted for our Rome explorations. Reasonable sized room, separate bathroom (not a cupboard ensuite) and well serviced daily. Air conditioner worked just fine.

Hotel was just a stone throw away from Trevi Fountain / Spanish Steps and the Pantheon, between Piazzas Navona and Campo De Fiore so we were spoilt for shopping and eating opportunities. We preferred eating on the side streets rather than the Piazza based restaurant offerings. It was great to just wander around, and we always felt safe. Excellent people watching opportunities over a glass of wine or shared bottle.

We were in a room of the Hotel annex ( which we loved ) but the included wireless Internet access did not reach us. A room in the main hotel building might have better access (?). We had good speed from the Hotel lounge where there were comfortable couches and we felt it private enough to Skype home to check out how the kids were coping in our absence; they were just fine...

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heath71Hampton

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I was somewhat dismayed when I first saw the exterior of this hotel as it was a just a single door on the street with a small lobby. However, the room was very pleasant. It was spacious, quaint and even had a bidet in the bathroom. French doors faced into an interior courtyard, so it was very private and quiet. The woman who met us in the afternoon was not particularly helpful. We learned almost right away that a fire down the street had damaged the telephone line that provided internet and phone service, so we did not have that. Also, breakfast was served at 7 am and we left before that time each day so missed that. She suggested to us that we could buy a coffee and a bite to eat at our bus pickup spot. In fact, when she was not on the job, the young night desk clerks made us lovely "American" coffee and gave us a croissant each morning to help us on our way. She did not offer any help in this way. She also did not tell us that they had a separate room with computers and a printer that worked on a separate line from those damaged, and that we could have used them to communicate with family/friends. We actually went to an internet cafe at one point when we had to send an e-mail.
I was not unhappy with the hotel itself and the internet and not being available for breakfast were not their fault, but it was somewhat disappointing. The attitude of the female receptionist was quite disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doris19622013
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Someone not used to Rome hotel prices might think this expensive, but considering the location, it is actually a good value. We stayed two nights in Sept. 2013. Breakfast is good, and they make your coffee drink individually by order. Rooms are decent. The local utility company decided to dig up the small square our room faced, and I found out another asset - the windows are great (second floor, main building), as when closed they silence the outside noise. Staff was very helpful in getting a driver to get us to the cruise port at Civitavecchia (and at a great price). Only negative was the provided "computer" in the lower level for internet access - it's an ancient XP system with really out of date IE browser, cannot run or load Flash, and I could not even access my email account (I gave up after about 15min and was billed about 1 Euro - yes they charge for that piece of junk!). If you go, get out and explore the Campo de Fiori, a short walk behind the hotel location - contrast the morning market with the evening party scene. So, the location is great for most of central Rome, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rtraveler10570
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We just left here and it was perfect for us. The rooms were adequate. Small, clean and somewhat sterile. The breakfast was decent in the old ruins underneath. The price was very resonable for Rome . The staff was fantastic. My wife misplaced her kindle and thwy found and returned it. They were very helpful on directions tours etc. The secret of this place is the Location . Walk to coloseum , campo fiore, piazza naronna, vatican and via venneto. We did , plus it is on a quiet side street

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Fishbuster
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This place was amazing. The staff, notably Paulo made our trip great. He asked about our days each time we saw him and provided great help and sincere interest in our well being. The breakfast was the best we had provided to us in our 5 week trip and the cappuccinos are to die for! We stayed in the annex on the top floor and it was so clean and romantic. I will refer this place to everyone!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Wittregv
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We arrived around 10pm to this hotel during our stay the first week of August 2013 and at first I was not quite sure we had selected a good hotel. My kids stayed in the core hotel on the first floor while my girlfriend and I (room 2) across the parking lot in the annex. We brought luggage up three flights of stairs and through three locked doors before getting to our room. The room was older but clean and roomy though we had two twin beds. The air condition was adequate though I would have preferred it cooler in the rooms at night during the 100 degree days we experienced. My kids room in the core hotel was a little nicer than ours in that it they had elevator access to their room and therefore closer to the lobby and breakfast. Similarly the AC in their room was adequate but not great. As we visited Rome and I became more familiar with the area, the hotel started to grow on me a little in the context of its great location and friendly staff, particularly those that worked during the day. It was easily walkable to the Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and a slightly longer walk to the Colosseum and Forum but still reasonable. Taxis are also readily available just a few blocks away at a taxi stand as well as convenient bus service is very close, if needed. We took the bus to Vatican City and a taxi to the Borghese Museum. Regarding the buses, stay away from the express bus which runs closest to this hotel and Vatican City and ask the hotel staff about the non-express bus. While we did not have any problems, the hotel staff suggested we avoid the express bus due to pickpockets. The was a sound recommendation from them. All in all, this was a good place to stay for its location, friendly staff, and reasonable price if you are traveling with a family.

Room Tip: I suggest staying in the main hotel, not the annex and guest should request as such.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank ndavis001
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Paolo, Ricco and Vicente are awesome. Each morning they greeted me, asked about my plans for the day, and offered their recommendations. Our conversations shaped my trip and helped me to experience an amazing two days in Rome. Walking through neighborhoods in Testaccio and Trastevere were highlights; I visited the tourist attractions as well, but especially enjoyed getting away from the crowds and exploring these neighborhoods. I am grateful to the hotel staff for making my time in Rome fulfilling and so much fun.

I loved the location of this hotel because it's on a quiet street, yet very close to Campo de Fiori. I traveled alone and walked nearly everywhere, sometimes grabbing a bus or metro using my Roma Pass. In addition to a great staff, I liked the hotel's breakfast (I'm now hooked on cappuccino's) and spacious rooms. The rooms are simple and clean, maybe a little dated but a good value for the price. The wireless works okay in the room and in the lobby, and they have a few computers for guest use.

I would definitely stay here again. Thanks to the staff for making my time in Rome so wonderful!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo