“Came by accident, will return deliberately”

Hotel Teatro di Pompeo
Ranked #493 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 8 June 2014

When I posted an SOS on my Facebook page as the neighborhood where we initially stayed was quite noisy and dirty; it was suggested we try Hotel Teatro Di Pompeo. It was a great suggestion. The location of the hotel on a quiet pedestrian street was a huge relief after listening to cars, vespas and sirens day and night. It was also very convenient to walk over to Piazza Navona. The charming room was very simple, but very comfortable. Bathroom was small, but the water pressure was the best we enjoyed in our 5 week trip through Italy and Sicily. At this price point, including a nice breakfast, Hotel Teatro Di Pompeo must be one of the best values in Rome. When we return, we need look no further for a welcoming and comfortable accommodation.

Room Tip: We were in Room 24, facing the interior courtyard. I suppose with all windows open and noisy neighb...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Samba

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I wanted a hotel near Piazza Navona, which it is, but it's even closer to Campo de Fiori, which I now like better than Navona (cozier size, market in the day, restaurants at night). The hotel is not the Ritz, but it has friendly service, a better than expected breakfast, functional rooms, a reasonable price, and a super location. We were able to walk everywhere we went, from the Vatican to the Colosseum to Galleria Borghese to Trastevere to Trevi and Spanish Steps. Only exception was metro to St. Paul's Outside the Walls. We were in Room 31 in the main building - top floor facing a courtyard. No street noise, but could hear whatever was going on in the hall, which wasn't much since only four rooms on the floor. Had a sizable bedroom, a decent sized bath, and a small room between the bedroom and bath that we used for living out of our suitcases. Again, nothing fancy, but I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I had hoped for top floor facing the little square in front, but when the door was open for housekee...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I only stayed overnight after arriving in Rome and before joining a group but wished I could have stayed longer. Loved the location, wandering the network of narrow, cobblestone streets and choosing a restaurant from the abundance nearby. Yet I found my room quiet enough for such a central location that I slept long and well. My room #11 was small but clean and comfortable, with a window opening onto the (tiny) inner courtyard but allowing me to let in some air. Off the bedroom was a small "dressing room" with a wardrobe and luggage racks, then a clean and perfectly adequate bathroom. The staff were friendly and helpful and I enjoyed a lovely continental breakfast, included in my price, before moving on.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here last week for one night. Our friends were in the main hotel but we were put into the annex which is on the other side of the square (seconds away on foot).

Our room was up 2 flights of very narrow marble stairs and we also had to negotiate a doorway which was up a few steps. It was difficult enough for 2 able-bodied people to get medium-sized cases up the stairs. Anyone with any mobility-type problems or large cases would really struggle. There is no lift.

The room itself was large with air conditioning and windows that looked over the square. The double-glazing helped to cut down the noise from the cars that drove through the area. The shower was good but the toilet was up 2 steps because the whole shower room was above the stairs. Not good if you've had a few tipples! There was a large hand basin and a bidet.

The breakfast in the main hotel was excellent with lots of choices. The reception staff couldn't do enough to help and were very willing to give advice on how to get to places.

All in all a pleasant stay. Would definitely go back but would ask to be put into the main hotel. We saw the room our friends were in, which was to the same standard as ours but had the benefit of a lift.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel and not the annex.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

My very dark and small basement room felt more like a hostel. The floorboards of the room above me creaked and banged as the other guests moved around. Add to this the plumbing, I was awoken several times when other rooms toilets flushed and guests arriving back in the night talking in hallways, slamming doors. I am not a light sleeper by any means, this is a very noisy hotel and a huge disappointment for the price I paid.
I would not recommend this hotel for anyone other than stag-dos.
On the plus side, the location of the hotel is very good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here for our 5th anniversary trip to Rome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are simple and clean, the breakfast is delicious, and the location is within walking distance to almost everything in Rome. We especially enjoyed the open courtyard outside our window and the unique breakfast area. Thanks for a wonderful week in Rome!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JamaicaMeSmile
Reviewed 20 April 2014

A great hotel in Rome...just be prepared to live as the locals...lots of stairs and relatively small bathroom, but no smaller than other Italian hotels. The room was great with good water pressure. You do pick up some noise from an adjacent restaurant, but it dies down by 11p or so(and if you are living like the locals, you will be eating and up at this time anyway). Besides 7p-11p, the area was very quiet. And just like real estate...location location location. You are only 5-10 min walk from many of the attractions you'll want to see in Rome.

Room Tip: Higher up may pick up less noise from the street in the evenings
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple