“Maybe not in the summer”

Trattoria della Stampa
Ranked #1,743 of 12,519 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trevi
Rome, Italy
“Maybe not in the summer”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I tried this restaurant this evening a my second (perhaps, wrong) option for the night. I was planning to hike my way to another restaurant when I felt quite tired walking farther and check for an interesting restaurant nearby. This restaurant has the old roman feel. Not very bid dining hall, slabs of ham and salsice hanging above the counter, stack of good wine selection on display, etc. Since it's Friday, Spaghetti alle vongole was my first choice. Friday is the usual seafood day in Rome, when fresh sea produce are delivered into the city. The pasta plate was not a disappointment, but nothing special too. From there all went downhill. I asked for trippa alla romana, which was in their menu list, and they did not have it. I asked for ossobucco, which was also in their list and, again they did not have it. I almost gave up by then and wanted to ask for the bill, but the lad was able to convince me to try one of the compromise plate. She described it so well, but the moment they brought the plate on my table, I knew it was a mistake ordering it. It was an ordinary piece of breaded chicken meat fried dry.

Perhaps, this restaurant is better visited during the fall and winter. The lady waitress told me that the offerings are normally complete during the winter since their menu is primarily for the cold weather. Tonight was a disappointment, but I may perhaps drop by again in November. For now, better bring your precious euro somewhere else.

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Northwich, United Kingdom
“Authentic Roman food near the Trevi Fountain”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

A great little restaurant if you want to avoid the tourist traps that mainly surround the Trevi Fountain area. Disagree with some other reviews about the service, the service was friendly and relaxed - exactly what you expect from a small, family-run restaurant. We were offered water and wine (great house wine only €5 for half a litre!) and our waitress explained the different dishes with a clear enthusiasm for the freshly made, traditional Roman dishes. Good selection of pasta dishes, and the spaghetti alle vongole (with clams) was just divine. Reasonably priced - about €9-10 for a generous helping of pasta. Recommended for those who want some tasty, traditional cuisine without straying too far from the main sights.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank poppy_g_15
“The worst meal of my life (and I've eaten to many places!!)”
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Hubby & I came to this place after a recommendation by a local. The first sign I should've taken to stay away was the fact it was empty!! Anyways, we came in and after 5 minutes she gave us a menu - after she cleaned other tables! You can tell they have their customer service priority in order - NOT!!
Firstly, all the items on their menu are not available. So the waitress recommends "specialties". We ordered a bucatini dish, veal meatballs and some brushetta. Out came the brushetta in two plates which was odd considering we'd only ordered one serving. 5 Euro each for some toast and tomatoes... OK. Then she offered peas with bacon which we had thought came with the meatballs but only realising she had pulled a scam on us!! 7 Euros for frozen peas??! God help us as we were seething right about now... I'd never wanted to run out of a restaurant without paying the bill than I did now. Last straw was my bucatini. Full of salt. I tried to tell her it was waaay tooo salty to which most places would take it off the bill or compensate by making something else... But NO. She explained that TRUE Romans eat like this. So really, I'd expect the Romans to all suffer from fragile arteries early in life. Apparently its the pecorino & bacon that makes it salty. Well d'uh, use LESS!!! All I can say is I've never felt so ripped off in my life so that it caused me to write my first review!!!!

1 Thank Cuisinequeen2
Tatui, SP
“Worth the wait!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We went pass this restaurant several times and decided to just pop in for lunch on our last day in
Rome. We were glad we did!
It is a very small and quaint restaurant, which feels like you are seating at someone’s dining room.
You do have to speak and understand at least a little Italian, as the staff is not proficient in English!
We had artichoke for entrée and the pasta of the day, which was very fresh, spicy and unusual.
This is an old established restaurant, which mostly caters for Italians, with no “menu turistico”.
We had wine, beer, mineral water and bread with our meal, as well as 3 coffees at the cost of 50 Euros for 3 people.
A place to remember and return to, if we are ever in Rome again.

• Visited April 2013
Waynesburg, Pennsylvania
“OK”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This was not far from the Flat I was staying in. It was just a quick stop for pizza and a glass of wine, it was OK. Not the freshest of Pizza's

Visited March 2013

Been to Trattoria della Stampa? Share your experiences!