“Excellent food, local crowd, gracious ownership”

Pane Vino e San Daniele
Ranked #1,519 of 12,784 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ghetto
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My family was out touring and I was walking around San Angelo and the Jewish quarter late at night. I noticed this busy restaurant across from the fountain at Piazza Mattei. The place was full and reservations only but the owner made a place for me as I said I didn't want a full dinner, just something light. The cuisine is Friulian and the waiter apologized that they don't often offer pasta (maybe the reason the other reviewer's wife didn't like her lasagna) since it is not part of their regional cuisine.
I love polenta and they had several styles offered on the menu. The waiter recommended the walnut, gorgonzola, radicchio. I've not seen polenta done like this and it was amazing with shaved radicchio, sliced walnuts and sprinkled gargonzola. It was amazing and the house wine was nice too. I had a table with a view out the window to the fountain. Lovely evening.
Prices were reasonable.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Absolutely fabulous place at Piazza San Mattei. Very italian atmosphere, excellent service and really good local food! Don't miss this if you are in the area.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

If you like a bowl of mashed potatoe with bits of tinned spinach, asparagus and loads of stringy cheese topped with wafer thin layer of ham (tasteless) out of the microwave, very like convalescence food, go here.
This place is all show and no substance service was quick and unhelpful.
The wine was enjoyable we should have left after that to go to a real restaurant.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Right opposite my accommodation. Very friendly and helpful waiter helped me navigate the menu and helped explain the delights and special qualities of Friulian fare. Very enjoyable and easygoing place.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

we ate there, as it looked nice.
it IS a nice place, the only bad thing is that the food quality isn't even.

I ordered the day special (Gnocchi a la forno) and my wife ordered the lasagna.
my gnocchi was wonderful, but the lasagna wasn't good at all. too salty and the pasta was little burned.