“Not sure anyone should believe the hype!”
Review of La Tavernaccia

La Tavernaccia
Ranked #213 of 12,951 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$31 - US$49
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: ROMAN CUISINE SINCE 1968 RESTAURANT - PIZZERIAAMONG THE AREAS OF TRASTEVERE - Testaccio - PortaporteseONLY VIA REGISTERED BY GIOVANNI Castelbolognese, 63 ROME
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have no clue how this restaurant is rated so highly. Worst meal we had in Rome when staying recently and my OH is Italian so it's not like we don't know good food. The restaurant is in the suburbs and there are just so many more interesting places to go that this should be avoided. This restaurant provided possibly the worst service I have ever encountered. Firstly, we sat for over 15minutes without a menu, then when we had the menu it took forever for our orders to be taken. We ordered starters and mains at that point along with drinks. The starters arrived first, then the drinks quickly after that and then whilst I was no more than a quarter of the way through my starter my OH's main course arrived with a simple 'sorry but it's ready now'. Then quickly after that my main course arrived whilst I was no more than half way through my starter! This has never happened to us in a restaurant before and we done out a lot!! We had all our food given to us in less time than it had taken them to give us the menu to look at. It killed the night for us. The food is no different to standard Trattoria food, and does not stand out so not worth the hassle of getting there at all. The restaurant lacks any sort of atmosphere and the staff are not at all interested in visitors that are not locals (even if they can speak Italian!) so I just would not ever recommend this as a restaurant to visit. Waste of money and a night in Rome that we lost out on a good dinner.

Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

So good we went twice in one day! Worth the taxi indeed. And even with the cost of a taxi it was still the least expensive of our meals. I was beginning to have serious concerns about finding a decent meal that wasnt overpriced and touisty as I was disappointed in our first ho at trastevere. I almost wanted to call the sisters who run the place zia and give them double kisses before I left. Order anything. You won't be disappointed. I'm a foodie And I'm Italian by heritage so I have some insight on this!

4  Thank cantstoptravelling28
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My girlfriend (who is Roman) has been banging on about this a while so on a recent trip we gave it a go. All i can say is that i left one very happy man. Everything about this place is fantastic! The Pizza's especially are the best i've had in Rome. Great good, great atmosphere, great value and very few tourists. When in Rome...

2  Thank Fay83
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This place is a gem! The food is fantastic, and the service is the best that I have ever had! Honestly, one of the best places that I have gone to in Rome! The chef brings you your food, will sit with you, and the food is delicious!

If you're in Rome, this place is a must!

1  Thank Jessica H
Reviewed 24 August 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week in Rome and while we had some good meals, we felt like we hadn't really had the BEST meal, the quintessential Italian meal that we were looking for. I did some searching and found great reviews on La Tavernaccia which was also a close 10 min walk from our hotel. This restaurant was our favourite experience in Rome. Fantastic service, phenomenal food and amazing value. 2 orders of bruschetta, Greek salad, 2 pastas, mineral water and 1 litre of wine cost 52 euro! The menus are in Italian only but one of the servers was able to translate for us. I really can't say enough about this place. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Jaxmccaff