Villa Lanusei
Ranked #614 of 1,169 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I stayed here for a week in May. First impressions of this place were not good. We had booked this hotel because it was described as being a 20 minute walk from the Roma Termini Train Station, which we imagined would also be fairly central. This was NOT true! We had a map and followed the most direct route to the hotel from the station. It took us 1 hour and 30minutes to walk in a scorching heat dragging our luggage along with us! I would have expected our luggage to slow us down a bit, but I'm a fast walker and the fastest I could probably have walked the distance without any luggage would be maybe 55 minutes.

As a result of this we were absolutely exhausted, pouring with sweat and in a pretty bad mood when we arrived at the hotel. The hotel itself was a bit of a disppointment, and externally does not look anywhere near as nice as the pictures would seem to suggest. The area seemed to be a bit of a dump and the hotel was right next to a building site! The garden looks nice in the photos but was rather run down in reality.

However, first impressions aside, the staff seemed friendly and helpful and the family room we were staying in on the ground floor was cool in temperature despite no air conditioning. But we kept the shutters and blinds shut in the day to keep it cool. The fact the hotel had no air conditioning actually seemed to suit my Dad who has allergies. The family room was a good size, and fitted 3 adults no problem. The room was clean and the ensuite was a good size. Wi-fi access was also good.

The dining room for breakfast was pretty disppointing. It is a very small room, with just a couple of tables and chairs in it. However, the breakfast itself was ok, with a selection of teas, some coffee, pastries and yogurts which seemed fairly traditional.

After our original disappointment on the location, it turned out that there were actually some quite convenient bus routes fairly nearby to the hotel and the hotel staff were more than happy to explain which buses you should get where and gave us a map so we could navigate our way around Rome. This meant we were able to make the most of our week in Rome despite the poor location of the hotel.

However, I would not stay here if I was to return to Rome, I would look for somewhere much more central.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here on our first night in Europe and had a bad experience. It took us forever to find this hotel. We were so lost that we figured we take a taxi. The taxi driver couldn't even find the hotel. He had to use a map and kept stopping to ask for directions. By the time we found the hotel it was pretty late. The room was very small and so hot. I don't think I slept at all. I also did not like the location of the hotel. I felt a little unsafe in that neighborhood. I would consider this more of a hostel than hotel. There's not much to do in this area. I couldn't even find a nearby gelato place. Also be very careful going up and down those stairs. I slipped twice. Next time I'll do a better job researching.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MiamiGirl84
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was feeling very proud to have found a number of great hotels by reading reviews on Trip Advisor and Booking.com. Our taxi drove us from Termini (and had a bit of a time finding it). It looked like an apartment building with nothing to indicate it's status beside the name on the buzzer at the mailbox. My husbands face, and my own fell when we entered the room. It had a bed with a bedspread that looked like it survived the 50s and a beat up end table. We thought we'd be okay since it was only for two nights but found it very disappointing. Then we realized that the hot sun was beating in the window and NO AIR CONDITIONING! In Rome! We requested a fan, and despite promises that went from noon to 10PM, we didn't get it until the next day. We had no interest in sticking around so went to get information. The reception person spoke little English and gave us maps and told us where restaurants and bus stops were located. The restaurants were all closed. The buses that he said would come every 10 minutes came every 45 minutes. The advertisement said "STRICTLY non-smoking" but when we returned in the evening the night reception person was smoking in his office (less than 6 feet from the room to our door. (Which by the way is a very thin, interior door, completely incapable of masking sound. The next morning I was awakened by the extremely strong odor of the worst smelling coffee I have ever smelled. Cigarettes and gross coffee! I felt nauseous and we still hadn't gotten the fan yet, so there was no escape. I wrote an email to the place where we booked the room and asked to be moved. They agreed to it and talked to the owners. They agreed to have their employees stop smoking and they got us a rickety fan. Unfortunately, thunderstorms were expected the entire day and trying to move seemed more trouble than I was prepared to cope with -- plus I wanted to see Rome. The good news was that the clouds made things a lot cooler so the final night was not as bad as the previous one. I don't know how anyone can stay there in the summer if they're used to AC or even ventilation. Think twice before staying here. Towels were scrawny - no bath mat. Breakfast acceptable except for the orange drink.

Room Tip: If you're strong enough to carry luggage, take a higher floor so you don't smell the coffee...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CalifDoc
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Overall Villa Lanusei was a positive experience. The rooms are very new with modern furniture and very clean. However, our bathroom was very narrow; I had difficulties to towel myself inside the bathroom. Also the towels are of the waffle fabric kind (no terrycloth).
For breakfast we got per person: two huge pastries, a yoghurt, orange flavored water and coffee.
During the night there is almost no noise from the outside. However, the phone at the reception is very loud and can ring at any time.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the reception.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with ehotel.de
1  Thank thoiry01
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Villa Lanusei in Rome is a home away from home. I stayed at the Villa Lanusei in Rome last month and would recommend it to anyone who want to have comfort, cleanliness, and good hospitality. Totally worth it to spend your vacation at Villa Lanusei !!!! I will certainly return someday...

PS: PARKING is free!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BerdilaFlorin
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We had an excellent stay at Villa Lanusei. We were impressed by the quality and the cleanliness of the infrastructures - in fact, the place is brand new as it opened in spring 2011.
The furniture of the room is modern and confortable. The staff very nice and particularly accomodating.
We'll certainly advise this hotel to friends & family.

PS : there in an excellent focacceria and a delicious pasticceria just meters away from the hotel, on the main street. We had all our diners there, and have fond memories from the food :-)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Quite and safe area! Helpful staff, friendly and trustworthy! Big thank you to Giovanni for his hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family