“Compact city hotel”

Ranked #268 of 1,263 Hotels in Rome
Leominster, United Kingdom
“Compact city hotel”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Tucked away in a side street behind the American Embassy, this hotel is very well appointed, but lacks a restaurant of its own and has a very bijou bar. The web photos do not match the hotel that greets you, however, with two incredible restaurants a very short walk away, the status quo is soon regained. Staff are very helpful and friendly and, if city hotels are your thing, the Berg Luxury Hotel has a lot to give. Well situated for most of the well-known sights, especially the "Spanish Steps", "Trevi Fountain", "Bernini Fountain", "Villa Borghese" and "Piazza del Poppolo".

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TheBigW63

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

do not book this hotel,first night no room for us,denied a phone call to my booking agent british airways holidays too arrange an alternative hotel,instead accepted the offer of one night in the ludvorski and the remaining two nights of upgrade to a room with a balcony,second night allocated room 605 no balcony,no view not a great deal.although our british airways booking stated full breakfast this was not honoured full breakfast is extra,exasperated but determind to enjoy our first visit to rome we accepted our fate in good humour and carry on,on the third day we skipped hotel breakfast (not worth the hostility) at checkout the front desk waived the city tax approx 12 euro a slight glimmer of humanity,i think the staff are fully aware of the type of operation they are involved in but i cant for the life of me understand the managements policy for securing future bookings or returning guests,my overidding memory of my time spent at the berg luxury hotel rome was sitting watching a cockroach cross the bathroom floor,i thought to myself, i'am actually paying good money for this crap.dont book this hotel,dont pre pay,if you want to experience this place just to satisfy your own curiosity pay a minimum deposit or take out a cancellation waiver,good luck.

Room Tip: room with a balcony might help.
5 Thank bim b
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Don't know where to start, really... so I start from pros.

First - the value is GREAT! Place is spot on: secure and clean, very well located, beautiful. Price is just right as well.

Second - the room was not to say "clean" it was simply sterile, bathroom is mindblowingly good and large. Bravo, Berg!

Third - the staff. We already heard from the reviews that this hotel is having serious issues with staff training (or the policy of the hotel itself). So we were alarmed and some of the staff were indeed good in solving issues, some were not so nice to us. Right now it is subject to your luck.

Fourth - the breakfast is good enough to be included into the price. Always double check is it really included in the offer!

The transfer - it was booked weeks ago but someone completely messed up, as we came to the airport noone met us. Call to reception resulted in nothing but a recommendation to take a taxi, no apologies given. Explanation was brilliant "we sent you an e-mail to confirm the transfer and you didn't replied", so they simply cancelled our transfer without even bothering to call us. We received an e-mail at 11 AM, exactly when we were boarding our plane to Italy, OF COURSE we couldn't possibly read an reply e-mails while on a plane during the flight. Not a good situation, Berg!

Overbooking: be prepared to be kicked out of the hotel at any time, even if you are successfully checked in. We read the reviews after the situation with our suddenly cancelled transfer and understood how lucky were we not to experience the overbooking problems, which happens in this hotel. If I saw the reviews earlier I would never take the risk and switched the hotel.

Will I come back here? If Berg will continue to receive negative reviews about the constant overbooking, rude and unprofessional staff, I will never come back here again. Even considering all the pros!

Room Tip: Avoid the transfer, double check is the breakfast included into the price, AND be aware of overbooki...
7 Thank Gleb I
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last week for two nights. I should start by saying that this hotel was in fact clean, the room was large and the bathroom was fantastic. It was quiet and in a good, safe location.

However, the staff was unfriendly and borderline rude. For example, we were under the impression that breakfast was included in our rate based on booking language. When I went to the breakfast room and discovered that it was not (after I had poured a glass of juice) I was met with the worst service I had in the whole ten days in Italy.

The breakfast attendant more or less rolled his eyes, would not allow me to bring the glass of juice back to my room despite getting charged for it, and instead sat and watched as I was made to pour it into a plastic cup. The plastic cup I was given was cracked and therefore leaking. Instead of giving me another one or helping, he simply pointed at the leak. This is the abridged version of the extent of his attitude.

Later, upon checkout, a taxi was called for us. Three staff members were at the front desk. No one helped us to the curb or held open the door or assisted with luggage. Normally this would not be a concern of mine; we are competant to help ourselves.

However, when a cab did pull up and we put our bags in, one of the more senior looking staff members ran outside shouting in Italian that this was not the cab he had called and before we knew that is what he had been saying, he was puilling our luggage out of the car and back onto the street. He then told us that they would have to pay if they called one and we weren't available. My boyfriend and I were pretty annoyed that they didn't tell us or wait outside with us if that were going to be the case.

For a "luxury" hotel, we were not treated great and the staff seemed aggrevated to deal with tourists. Many staff seemed to have an annoyed "they are Americans" attitude, something that infuriates me as I travel internationally pretty frequently and do not act in a way that merits that common attitude abroad.

Our last impression of the hotel was, "why did the people who work here get jobs in the tourism industry?" For the amount of money paid, service was very, very poor.

6 Thank Marie3456
Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Arrived for a 4 night stay to find ourselves bounced on the first night to a hotel round the block. This smacks of sharp practice, with the hotel taking better paying later bookings over earlier 'offer' bookings. I'd even had written confirmation that my booking was in order. Care, if you book here, don't necessarily expect to be saying in this hotel! On the plus side, if you eventually get a room, the hotel itself is well situated, with large, comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: You may not get a room!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MinervaEdinburgh
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Bought a 1/2 price voucher for 2 nights B&B. Funky, clean hotel in a nice, quiet location; helpful staff. Breakfast was terrible: powder coffee, thinned orange juice and meagre selection of food. Shower leaked badly and flooded the bathroom floor. Fine if you're not paying full price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Vallentuna, Sweden
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel close to piazza Barbarini. Big rooms with a nice design. Very friendly service and good suggestions where to go and how to get there! Nice breakfast. Not the biggest selection but more than enough. Didn't try the bar. A fantastic stay in Rome.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple