“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Gran Melia Rome

Gran Melia Rome
Ranked #98 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Beautiful hotel from 5 minutes from Vatican and nice restaurants.
Bathrooms are big and clean and the pool area is fantastic.
Service was attentive and helpful , the breakfast was excellent with many options

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Keiko Y
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Guest,

we would like to thank you for the precious time you dedicated in sharing your opinions about the recent stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina.

We really appreciate any comments and feedbacks from our guests because they are a valuable tool to improve and assure a high quality of the services we strive to offer.

We are very glad to learn that you enjoyed your overall experience that much, while visiting the magic Eternal City where we hope to welcome you back soon…

There are newer reviews for Gran Melia Rome

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Wonderful grounds, beautiful pool, great restaurants, well designed rooms, great housekeeping, all round service and more, all reflected in the price paid . If you can afford it , go for it .

We selected this hotel for our last three days of our trip so we could relax by a pool and get served all day long. It was all we expected. Thank you

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elisa D
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Guest,

THANK YOU for your visit and for enjoying your experience that much; it is a pleasure when we understand that the attention given to details paid off big time.

On behalf of the whole team, our warmest gratitude to you; guests like you are our best ambassador and it is priceless to know we reached that satisfaction level, going beyond your expectations.

We are already expecting you to come back to Gran Meliá Rome and keep enjoying your comfortable home away home…

Reviewed 6 August 2014

And it is not only because of its location, but because every detail the hotel offers. From the environment, to the atmosphere. From the pool area overlooking Vatican walls, to the breakfast galleria.
I will repeat for sure

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your visit and for enjoying your experience that much, it is extremely motivating when we understand that the attention given to details paid off big time.
On behalf of our staff, our warmest gratitude to you, for being the perfect ambassador of our service culture.

We are already expecting you to come back to Gran Meliá Rome and keep enjoying your experience in the Eternal City...

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I recently stayed here for four nights as part of a tour group and thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Every worker I encountered during my stay always had a welcome greeting and the concierge was extremely helpful in answering sightseeing questions and giving suggestions. Room service was quick and efficient, as was the restaurant. The only downside is that the tub requires a pretty high step up to enter it(may be challenging for shorter people) and there are no convenient plugs(outside bathroom wall) available where you can charge devices. There are several bus stops near the hotel or you can take a taxi or walk to your destination. The proximity of this hotel to the Vatican is one of the things that makes it popular. Its level of service is what makes it excellent.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank seetheworld600

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your visit and for sharing how much you enjoyed your experience.
It is very motivating for us all to learn that the attention given to details and our passion for service is so highly valued.
We are all so grateful to you for being such a good ambassador of our philosophy and high level of quality standard.

Please, be ensured that I provided to share your kind words both to the Concierge and Restaurant teams, as well as to the rest of the team for highlighting our overall excellent service.

We are already expecting you to come back to Gran Meliá Rome and let you keep enjoying ‘impeccable service’…

Arrivederci,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect. The aesthetics superb. However I simply cannot understand the reviews on service because I believe the service at this hotel to be non-existent. We stayed for 11 nights. A rarity in Rome - most travellers skip through the city for a couple of nights only. So my review may encompass aspects that those staying for a short time do not notice. What I objected to the most was after paying more than 600 euros a night to be constantly reminded that if you wanted really good service you had to pay to upgrade to RED GLOVE service. At every turn - in the elevators, at breakfast, by the pool and on and on and on…if you want better service (read any service) pay more…despite paying a decent some anyway. I was appalled that there was no recognition of name or even room number…everyday it was like you were a stranger in the hotel. The costs of extras was nothing short of gouging. And most importantly, the hotel nearly cost us our La Pergola six month in advance booking (by confirming the incorrect time). Service was laborious, room cleaning service too late in the afternoon, papers delivered mid-morning, sundry charges insane (don't ask for an iron and ironing board - this will be refused). Terribly disappointing. I won't be back - and not just because the Trevi Fountain was closed for cleaning!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Sarah1Perth
Maria A, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina at the occasion of your recent visit to Rome and for the time spent in expressing your feelings about.

We highly value each of our guests’ comments as an important tool to constantly monitor and further improve the service we strive to offer.

I am really afraid about what you report in reference to our overall service and, as the RedGlove Service Manager of the Hotel, I feel the need to clarify that the RedGlove service represents our “service culture” addressed to every guest and meant to turn each stay into a great experience, through little and personalized touches.
I am extremely sorry to realize such a discontent from your side, meaning that we failed in making you live the real Gran Meliá Rome experience, which is generally very appreciated, specially due to the personnel’s attentive care.

What you probably refers to, in terms of our promoting, is the RedLevel service which is linked to specific room’s categories (starting from the Junior Suite) and including additional benefits, such as access to the RedLevel Lounge, to the Spa circuit, etc.
Nevertheless, be ensured that all we aim to is to guarantee our guests’ satisfaction, offering the same assistance through the same, daily “service vocation”.

Finally, regarding the iron and ironing board, please be informed that the reason why we cannot borrow them lies in the fact that in Italy it is forbidden, due to security reasons. The only thing we can do is providing laundry and ironing service.

I trust you will accept that the difficulties you experienced are certainly not reflective of our normal standards, since we do pride ourselves on our high standard of service and we take the comfort of our guests very seriously.

I do sincerely hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience but will reconsider to come again in the future.
In that case, please feel free to contact me directly, to take care of your reservation. I would be very pleased to personally assist you and make you live the experience you could not perceive at this occasion.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for your confidence and for taking the time to share your concerns.
We do sincerely look forward to welcoming you back to our Luxury Urban Resort in the Eternal City.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 August 2014

the location is very good,the hotel is beautiful , pool area excellent,the stuff very polite and willing to help.The casual restaurant is a bit more gourmet for lunch and very expensive as well.
Even though the hotel is perfect!

Room Tip: make sure the ac is working.during summer is very hot!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sissy P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to report your pleasant stay at our Luxury Urban Resort.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your experience at Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina, loving our location and facilities, besides our staff attentive and professional attitude.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Gran Meliá Rome soon and let you continue your ‘perfect’experience in the historical heart of the Eternal City...

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Out of all five stars hotels I've stayed in Rome over the years, the Gran Melia is my less favorite.
I really think that for the same amount of money you can get nicer and bigger rooms in a more centrally located hotel. Yes the location is not great unless you want to take taxis every time. Even to get to S.Peter square it takes 10 minutes only if you go through a smelly, horrible parking lot...
Few rooms have a city view but most of the building is facing a narrow street and you will have other tall buildings in front of your window. I had to make sure to close curtains every time I was taking the shower because having the glass between the bedroom and the shower, anyone could see me naked from the building opposite to my window.
Five stars hotels should have a minimum surface guaranteed but at the Gran Melia many rooms are as big as a 4 stars hotel, unless you book a suite. Plugs are hard to find, I had to charge my camera in the bathroom and to charge my computer from the bed I had to unplug something else.
What I could not stand was the attitude of most of the staff members of the front desk, mostly young girls in their '20s. I think this was probably the slowest front desk staff in hotels' history. Their check-in process can take up to 10 minutes: they start with passports and paperwork as any other hotel, then a long list of questions, newspaper, breakfast, this and that... they seems not to understand that most of people when they check in are tired and they just want to go to their rooms. I don't care about a free drink in their bar if my priority is to take a shower and take a nap! After they finally sort out which room they will assign, ask something else to somebody sitting in the back office, make a phone call to housekeeping and take another 5 minutes to prepare keys and to write on a card your internet password (one of the few free amenities), then they take you for a hotel tour. Now for this kind of "personalized" service they should have at least three times the number of staff available, but obviously it would be too expensive to pay too many people, so the lines at the front desk can take forever. The front desk supervisor once in a while appeared not to help but just to watch. He once "entertained" some guest in front of me, chatting about how much he loves Converse shoes, while I was in line behind.
I checked in twice in this hotel and twice they were not able to give me a room by 2pm as it should be. Once I had to wait until 3.30pm. They told me the guest before me checked out late: do I care? If that person paid more for a late check out, I didn't pay less for a late check in!
Finally got to my room, I had to call the front desk because after 30 minutes the luggage never arrived...
Check out was a bit smoother but still longer than in other hotels.
What I loved at the Gran Melia was breakfast, both service and food were outstanding. Excellent the Clarins beauty products in the room.
Last, this hotel has a pool, which is probably the reason why is picked by many families with children...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank M P

Dear Guest,

First of all, I wish to thank you for choosing the Gran Meliá Rome Villa Agrippina for your recent visit to Rome and for the time spent in providing your feedback about.
I can assure you that we highly value our guests’ comments in order to improve the level of service we strive to offer to our guests.

I was sorry to learn of your concerns and at the outset would like to express my regret for the disappointment you have expressed.

It was surprising to realize your discontent as to our location, since it marks one of the main difference with the other 5 stars Hotels in Rome, together with our innovative concept of a luxury urban resort, with a huge park and pool: a rarity in the city centre.
Moreover, the property’s décor is rich in contrasts: brilliantly combining traditional luxury with amazing avant-gard touches. Gran Meliá Rome is actually an historical building, providing several room’s categories according to the guests’ specific needs, located near Rome’s main tourist destinations and the famous Trastevere district.

What mostly captured our attention were the opinions specifically expressed as to the Front Desk service and personnel, since it is one the most appreciated departments, due to skilled and experienced, international staff members and supervisors.
Please, be ensured that every step of our check-in procedure is meant to create a true ‘sense of arrival’ to each guest, through a necessary recap of the reservation made, in accordance to one’s needs and preferences.
I can assure you that we accommodate a number of guests in our hotel and are proud to have the flexibility to meet their requirements, therefore it is extremely disappointing to have let you down.
We believe that our offer of a welcome drink and proper tour of the Resort, before the rooming, represent a professional and warm attitude of hospitality, enriching the check-in experience with information accuracy. It is obviously never an obligation but a simple proposal which can be denied and maybe required later…

While being afraid that the arrival experience seems to have affected your overall perception of the lived experience, we are happy to know how positively you evaluated the food and beverage exclusive concept.

Thanking you for your support, which allowed me to clarify the key aspects of our service culture, I do hope that you will decide to visit us again at the occasion of your future visit to the Eternal City.
In this case, please, do not hesitate to contact me in order to personally take care of all the details of your reservation, for a tailor-made service in compliance with your needs and expectations.