“If you are not starving ....go ahead”

Osteria Spaghetti Roma
Ranked #9,323 of 12,134 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Colonna
milano
“If you are not starving ....go ahead”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

I visit Rome with family. We stopped in this restaurant because the two boys were starving. I was aware that it was a classic restaurant for tourist but not so bad. I ate "pollo alla Romana". Meat wasn't good and it's very difficult in these to find a chicken meat not fresh and good, in my company canteen I eat a better chicken. Bruschetta was good but it the simplest plate on the world. Beer was more similar to water....probably they add it. I taste pizza too: It's very difficult to find a worse pizza.Only good note the service they are kind and atmosphere it's not so bad.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank zedaluca

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Istanbul, Turkey
“Pretty bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

It's called spaghetti house but the plain pasta we ordered for kids who were hungry arrived in half hour despite all compaints. Service not good, very average food. Dont waste time here.

2 Thank Berk_001
Leeds, United Kingdom
“In hindsight, would rather have gone hungry.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had wanted to go to Trattoria Del Cavalier Gino but there was an hour and a half wait and we were starving. Unfortunately, this was then the first place we came across. There was only one table free outside so because it seemed busy and we were hungry we gave it a go. They brought us some water straight away but no menus. After I had to ask for the menu it started to rain so we went indoors. Inside, it was a sauna but we were still hungry so ordered anyway. We had bruschetta to start. Dry as the Sahara desert. Then pasta for main. Average but clearly microwaved. The place has no atmosphere and to make it worse, half way through our meal, they put the football on loudly which gave it the atmosphere of a sports bar and not a restaurant.

The toilets smelt of urine and didn't look clean.

Staff couldn't care less and were too interested in the football to ask a) was our food fine or b)did we want, dessert, coffee, bill etc.

Avoid!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank HannahWildsmith
Tel Aviv, Israel
“For sure not a tourist rip off place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

When we had to choose our place for dinner on our last night in Rome we decided to go to the Pantheon area. Our daily tours showed that the area offers so many restaurants, most of them full. It was a hard choice to make but something in the happy faces of the dinners and the not too big restaurant took us to this Osteria. In fact it was a wonderful surprise. The service was prompt and the dishes were home made. Big sizes and delicious. The Osteria Spaghetti Rome was for sure not a tourist rip off place everyone is afraid off in this city. Go for the Risotto sea food. The best Risotto one can imagine in a street restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank move_israel
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Truly terrible food, worse than frozen. Not worth one star.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

This 'restaurant' was without doubt the worst eating experience of mine and my partners otherwise delightful trip to Italy. This waste of an evening started with the overly cocky salesmen's hand thrust into my face in a pointless attempt to force us to sit down; however, whist looking at the menu (while he continued to try and talk us into eating there) we did decide to eat here as the menu offered up some interesting choices that we hadn't yet encountered in the city. The setting itself was rather charming, a few minutes walk away from the Pantheon and surrounded by other seemingly better restaurants.

My partner and I decided to share a mushroom Bruschetta, which turned out to be nothing more than a piece of dry cardboard, covered by some paste that barely possessed the taste of what was advertised. Our knives couldn't even cut through it, it was so hard. The drinks were extortionate, with less than a litre of water costing €4 and the same for a glass of lemonade (the lemonade being somewhat understandable, yet everywhere else water was about €3 maximum and normally €2). The atmosphere around us was frosty at best, with the salesman continuing to harass anyone that walked past the restaurant (which is to be expected in Italy, although not to this extent) and also continuing to pester us as we tried to eat our inedible food. The rest of the staff were also more useless than useful, often just standing on the opposing side of the street, looking over the restaurant, talking and making sure no-one walked away without paying (at least that was the vibe they gave). There was a strong feeling that the staff cared simply about profit than customer satisfaction, with us overhearing the waiting staff on a few occasions speaking negatively of other customers who had complained.

The worst was yet to come though, with the main course arriving about a minute after our Bruschetta had been taken away, with the Bruschetta itself coming moments after we'd ordered it, which, of course raises suspicions. My partner had the Quattro Formaggio Gnocchi, which, although at first taste was edible, tasted of nothing but Stilton, and gradually became increasingly unbearable and was subsequently abandoned, the taste too rich for her. After tasting some myself, I felt that the Gnocchi tasted slightly processed and overcooked. I had a Pizza Carbonara, which looked and tasted like a complete mess of a meal. It clearly and unashamedly looked processed, with the bread base itself resembling something more akin to a poor frozen pizza and looked nothing like a traditional italian pizza. The bacon was nothing more than fat with the odd strand of processed meat; the tomato sauce tasted worse than value tomato puree from a supermarket; and the egg wasn't cooked in the centre and, what was cooked, covered the entire pizza in a scrambled mess. I can safely say that I've never tasted egg quite like it - it was throughly disgusting and the more I ate, the worse I felt. The pizza was not only the worst meal I've ever had in a restaurant, but was also a sorry excuse for a pizza, with frozen, value pizzas from supermarkets tasting better.

By this stage, my partner and myself had realised that we'd been ripped off and tricked, especially since the gnocchi was €9.50, while my pizza was €10. Bearing in mind that we could've bought this food in a shop for about €5 in total, we had realised that we'd fallen into the trap. We were then left for about 30 minutes, waiting for service, so that we could get out of here as fast as possible. After finally managing to get the attention of a waiter to ask for the bill, and once the bill had been given to us after a further 10 minute wait, we discovered that they had added a service charge of €1.50 per person, which was in fact not on the menu and is therefore illegal within at least the city of Rome. Truly fuming, we would've walked away, if not for the staff, who acted more like guard dogs than waiters. The most eager service of the night came when we wished to pay, whereby a man (who had performed no task throughout the evening except pouncing to take payment) swiftly relieved us of our money and we promptly left this disgrace.

Having spent two weeks in Italy and having been there numerous times in the past, this is by far the worst food we have ever had in a restaurant. This is the quintessential tourist trap, that will try any trick in the book in order to extort money out of its prey and it should be boycotted into closure - it should be avoided at all costs. A rating of terrible is truly an understatement.

• Visited August 2013