“Let The Buyer Beware!”

Cuisines: Italian
Chonburi, Thailand
“Let The Buyer Beware!”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Taking a break from our usual tourist pursuits, my wife and I decided to prowl and shop the local neighborhoods near our Vatican area hotel.This is a neighborhood storefront pizza place sharing inside space with a storefront gelato store and located on a main retail street a few blocks from the Metro stop. Basically, a pizza-by-the-slice joint. Having had a satisfying dinner at a great price of 20 Euros the night before at a close by full service restaurant (Adami---reviewed separately), we decided on a quick lunch here---2 square slices of soft crust pizza which looked good behind the glass case---one with tiny shrimp and the other plain, one dish of plain meatless pasta, 1 large beer and 1 Coke. The owner/clerk guided us outside and offered us a table. The food, in a word, was bland and hardly what you would expect in Rome however the bill totalling 28 Euros was outrageous. One slice of pizza was 6.50 Euros. A sign of the glass counter case had slices at 1.50-2.00 Euros but was told this was for standing or taking out. The owner even pulled out a menu from behind the counter that showed slices at 6.50 Euros.

This is one of those "fool me once, shame on you" experiences and I quickly learned my lesson to check out everything before buying. I can only blame myself but I can say I did not have a "shame on me" experience the rest of my time in Italy.

The quality of the food was at best marginally average and I would not even go back at half the 28 Euros.

• Visited May 2011