“First thing to do when you get to Rome!”

Eating Italy Food Tours
Ranked #4 of 67 Classes & Workshops in Rome
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the Real Rome! Eating Italy Food Tours in Rome offers unique 4-hour food tasting & cultural walking tours in Rome's most delicious and historic neighborhoods. Get a taste of "life in Rome"- its fabulous cuisine, rich culture, treasured architecture, and cherished traditions. You will feel like a true local even if you don't speak the language because we take you to all best Roman specialty food shops, trattorias, markets, and cultural landmarks. Ten mouth-watering food tastings are included on every tour!Eating Italy Food Tours works in partnership with MILAVAGANDO Srl. All tickets are pre-purchased on our website.
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Trust me, don't do anything in Rome until you take this tour. The tour takes place in a neighborhood away from the typical tourist attractions. The guide was fantastic and provided a great glimpse into Italian culture. It has been weeks and I am still find myself dreaming of the food we had during the tour. Without exaggeration, this was the highlight of our two week trip. In addition, the restaurant guide they hand out is the bible of eating in Rome.

3  Thank Danny C
Write a ReviewReviews (4,137)
All reviews
in 84 reviews
"salami"
in 44 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2012

I will admit I was not excited about this at first. My wife talked me into it. I am glad she did. Our group and tour guide Luna were awesome. This tour had a way of making us all comfortable with each other and we got to know our group so well that by the end of the tour we were taking pictures together.

Luna, our guide, was vivacious and fun. Her energy was perfect to teach about Italian food. I liked the shops they took us to and the restaurant was awesome, it gave us a whole new measure for good food in Italy. I loved the gelato school where they taught us to tell real from mixed gelato. I like the market and taste of what normal Italian/Roman daily life is like. It was an exceptional experience that speaks much more to the culture of Italy than many of the touristy places.

As a bonus they give you a small tour of the neighborhood and some of the history of the area.

I agree that the earlier you do this tour when you are in Rome the more time you have to see and experience some of their recommended restaurants, bakeries, and gelato shops. But even if you do it on your last day in Rome, you will love it and have a great memory.

It is a good value for your money and so worth your time. You won't regret it. We loved it!!!

1  Thank BW2002
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We have recently returned from Rome where we did the "Eating Italy Food Tour" with Domenico through the wonderful district of Testaccio. We had a blast and our only regret was that we left the trip for our last day. Recommend doing it at the beginning as Domenico provides great information and recommendations that would have come in handy (ie: the difference between authentic and imitation gelato!!)

We spent 4 hours touring through old family establishments. It was like "old home week" with Domenico. From tiramisu, cornetti, homemade prosciutto and pecorino, many cheeses, Napoli pizza, pastas, gelato, suppli, to bruschetta; no one left hungry.

Many cultural points of interest broke the walk up with a 17th centruy slaugherhouse, Testaccio Marketplace, mountain of terra cota, Keats burial site and the most beautiful cemetary ever. Right down to the 90+ year old Italian sweetheart that argued soccer alliances with Domenico. It was hugely entertaining.

A must do.

2  Thank Tracy L
Reviewed 18 August 2012

It's taken me a bit to write this, but I'm glad that I now have time because this tour was absolutely the highlight of our Rome vacation. I took the tour with my partner and we had so much fun while learning all about Italian food and, more importantly, culture. Our guide Sarah was brilliant - she was extremely knowledgeable, personable, accessible, and genuinely enjoyed her job. She made it fun for us because I truly believe she was having fun herself. Her interaction with the locals was a perfect indicator that she genuinely knows these folks, and let me tell you, they love her right back! Also, getting a chance to walk around the Testaccio neighborhood was a real treat in that it was far away from the tourists and gave us a great chance to experience a real Italian neighborhood. Additionally, Sarah's take on everything we were seeing was unique and highly knowledgeable. She knew her history and culture and was able to answer any and all questions and give us extremely valuable context for what we were seeing and eating. I genuinely felt like I learned more about Italy and its history in this tour than I did walking through the mass tourist sites like the Colisseum or the Forum. You get to eat and try a little bit of everything - you'll have meats, cheeses, pizza, oils, balsamic, pasta, gelato, pastries. DO NOT SKIP THIS TOUR (and don't eat before you go!! BEST THING WE DID IN ROME!!

3  Thank Jrand412
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I (42 years old man) took this tour with my 13 years old son tuesday 7th August.
Twelve pepople from various countries attended. Our guide, Domenico, was very informative and pleasant. He made the tour to an enjoyable experience for all of us.

The tour took four hours, it was a very hot day, but the pace is slow and you will go inside shops/restaurants with a/c.

The tour stops at about 10 different places. You get to taste samples of food on all stops.
One stop was a full pasta lunch with red and white wine, three different pasta dishes.
Eat a light breakfast, lots of good food to be tasted on the tour.

For me the highlight of the tour was the visit at Volpettis, a local store with lots of ham/vinegar/wine/cheese/salmon/oils etc etc. The store was small (about 40 square metres), but packed with food. You could not move more then a copule of metres before one of the staff asked you to taste something - but without the pressure to buy.
Next door at Volpettis Piu, a little cafe, we tasted the best pizza margeritha we had in Rome. It was so good that we took the metro just to have this pizza again the day after.

The tour is in the Testaccio-area, away from the tourists. We didn't hear anything but Italian walking the streets.

During the walk we went into the "english cemetary", saw the graves of Shelley and Keats.
The guide also told interesting stories about the neigborhood.

The tour really gives you good value for your money - just do it! If possible, do the tour on your first day in Rome. You'll get lots of god tips on were to eat.

1  Thank RoyBergen