“Great place to stay in Roma!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Guest Haus Praetorium
Ranked #604 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
Long Beach, California
“Great place to stay in Roma!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Just got back from a weekend stay in Roma at the Guest Haus Praetorium, and I only have AMAZING things to say about it! First of all, our flight came in super late, and with advanced notice via email, Emiliano agreed to check us in at MIDNIGHT with NO extra charges!! He was there when we got in, and showed us everything we needed to know for the night. He even let us wait until morning (when we weren't so exhausted) to pay and do the more formal check-in procedures. In addition, Emiliano is a great "tour guide," he let us know what forms of transportation we needed to take to get to ALL the tourist attractions, and gave us multiple maps! The room itself--we stayed in the blue, quad room--was beautiful and clean! In our private bathroom was everything we would possibly need: toilet paper, towels, a blowdryer, hand soap, even shampoo/conditioner and body wash in the shower! Our rooms were cleaned both days (and I mean deep cleaned, and towels were replaced), and the first day, they left us chocolates on our pillow! Breakfast every morning was lovely as well, at local bars around the block! The only negative thing I could say is that the beds are very firm, but that really didn't bother me much. Basically, for less than the price of a hostel (starving abroad students over here), we felt like we were staying in a nice hotel with AMAZING SERVICE! If I am ever in Roma again, I KNOW I will be staying at Emiliano's Guest Haus Praetorium!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Great service, absolutely clean, good location, good space, good heating.
Private bathroom outside the room. Basic but enough breakfast on a coffee shop on the same block.
The only negative topic is that the rooms that face the street can be very noisy during the night.

Room Tip: If possible try to get a room that doesnt face the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

This Guest Haus is very well located and very cute and very clean.

I felt like home there!

Emiliano and the girls who works there are very good people and can give good tips and tell you how to get around!

Also, ask Emiliano to indicate Giuseppe Tratoria, where I had the best Carbonara and friends in Rome.

Thanks Guest Haus team for everything.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ligia_Travasso
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Since I was using Rome as my base while traveling around Italy and France, the guest house was right on the money for location! I like it so much I stayed here on three separate occasions. Once with my mom and dad at the triple/quad (blue) room and the rest at the doubles (orange) room when I traveled solo after my folks have left. The place was actually referred to us by Fulvia of Casa Romana (see my other review), my other home in Rome, since we couldn't extend our stay at her place because her rooms have been booked. The guest house owned and managed by Emiliano, a very kind and hardworking family man, whom together with Fulvia, were absolutely the nicest (need I say great?) people I have met during my stay in Italy. Both top-rated establishments seem to be affiliated with each other, not quite sure how.
Located just a block away from Termini along Castro Pretorio on the Via Marsala side, it was just an easy 3 to 5 min. walk whenever I needed to take the train or bus or do my groceries at Conad. There are likewise lots of good and affordable restaurants and cafes around. Stop by Meid in Nepols and Trattoria da Bruno, both good restaurants frequented by locals and located just around the corner. I also found the area less busy and safe to walk even at night compared to the Via Giolitti side of Termini. The guest house itself is on the second floor of a building so it can be a bit tricky finding it if you're not familiar with the area. There's a small nameplate opposite the doorbell that you ring once you arrive and Emiliano will come down to meet and assist you. The building likewise has a small lift just in case you have large/heavy bags with you.
The rooms are basic but very clean and spacious particularly the blue room which is best for families. The entire place itself seems newly renovated. They only have a total of 4 rooms, one triple/quad (blue) and three doubles. Take note that only the blue room has an ensuite bath. All the other rooms have private baths (with own key) but are located across the hall from the rooms. Rome was a bit chilly during my visit but all rooms are provided with heaters. 24" flat screen TV with cable channels (in Italian) are likewise found in all rooms. During my solo stay, I preferred staying at the Orange Room as my private bath is nearest to the room. The baths have hot & cold water with good pressure. A shower gel, shampoo and towels are likewise provided as well.
Breakfast is included but taken offsite. You will be given a breakfast stub for coffee/capuccino and a cornetto that you can claim at either Bar Roberto or Spinelli's both of which are just close. Personally, I prefer having mine at Spinelli's save for the fact that it's just below the guest house.
It is important to take note that most B&B's in this area are privately owned/managed and most owners aren't around 24 hours. It is therefore imperative that you communicate to them your arrival/departure details so they can meet you when you arrive/depart. You will then be given a set of keys, one for the building, the main door and your room and bath and you're basically on your own. This arrangement is best particularly for independent travelers. If you are the type who prefers to be pampered and provided with amenities, it is best you look some place else. However, being the kind and hospitable man that he is, Emiliano made himself available anytime by phone just in case you encounter any problem or have special requests. One thing that I particularly appreciate is the fact that Emiliano allowed me to store some of my luggage while I traveled in and out of Rome. A definite big plus for me since it saved me from lugging all my bags with me! I only took what I needed for the short trips and left everything else behind.
I'm pretty sure that there are lots of nicer places in Rome but be prepared to shell out a hefty sum while being treated like any other hotel guest. As a budget traveler for me, Guest Haus Praetorium (and Casa Romana) provides EXCELLENT VALUE for your stay. It was like staying at your own place with friends. That alone made me feel very much at home in Rome. I have stayed in nicer (and more expensive) places in my travels throughout Italy but in the end, it really is still the people who manage the place that truly make the difference. Definitely HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: The blue room (Via dei Mille side) was spacious but others may be bothered by the noise at the cafe...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank bryantpark88
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

Great place to stay, situated very conveniently 5 mins walk away from Termini metro and bus stations. Premises very clean and owner Emiliano was extremely friendly, helpful and generous. Breakfast in the bar around the corner was also perfect!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed here with some friends on a college trip and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The owner Emiliano was a very nice man who went out of his way to ensure that we were always having a good time. We had some problems with the payment due to issues with the bank but the Guest Haus were very understanding and kind about the situation. We were sad to leave in the end and I would definitely return here if I ever go back to Rome.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

We stayed at the Guest Haus Praetorium with another couple in the quad room and were very pleased with everything. The owner met us upon arrival (he was outside on the lookout for us), which was great because we would have walked right by it. Right away he gave us a map and showed us the best ways to get to the sites. The room was clean and even though there were 4 of us I didn't feel like we were on top of each other. We also felt very secure as there are several heavy locked doors to go through before getting into the guest house. The street outside is a little noisy through the night, but that's what we expected in the city. Overall a wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the Via Mille might be quieter...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple